Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: sNews 1.6 MEMU - Character issues  (Read 1677 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
sNews 1.6 MEMU - Character issues
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »

Yo, mates... Finally I'm trying out this MEMU thingy ;) It took a long time, so long time that Doug, who made it, almost can't recollect doing so, hehe...

Now, I have some issues, not many, nor big, but nev'the'less, issues:

I'm going to use this as a localhost Intranet at work, hopefully if the idea strikes. So I have modded it some more, as modding never can go to far, eh.
I have put in FCKEditor, Philmoz "hidden articles, insert hidden articles", MDJ's "Search descriptions" and also (not activated now) a way of having menu blocks expandable through JQuery.  --  And many, many tests give me a functioning tool in almost every way. Apart from following:

Now I'm swedish, and part of that language is a couple of letters: å, Å,ä, Ä and ö, Ö which might render funny if nothing is done to prevent that. In almost any case this is tha case. But in, search and presenting New comments (Noticed this to be a problem in 1.7 and regular 1.6 aswell for that matter).

When inserting a comment of which them first letters are one of the above I get that ridiculous standing square with a questionmark in it. And when performing a search containing a word with one of these letters in it, I get a "no content found" returned.

Is someone full of idea's of how to solve this ?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:47:50 AM by Patric Ahlqvist »
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: sNews 1.6 MEMU - Character issues
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »

@ Patric... I've never had to deal with language issues in the past since everything I do is with the English language and, once it a while, French. So my thoughts on this would be a guess.

Here is what I came up with testing , ,, in an article on my localhost installs of both sNews 1.7 and 1.6 MEMU.

I looked in the articles table (through phpMyAdmin) and the letters are saved in there as å, Å,ä, Ä
When I view the articles, they are being reproduced there as they should be... as , ,,
When I put , ,, in the search-bar and search for it, the articles containing it get returned in the search.
So, this test seems to work out OK.

The problem might have to do with collation settings used when you are creating your database.
When I create a new database using phpMyAdmin:
    1)  I enter in the name of the new database,
    2)  In the "Collation" field beside the name field, I pick utf8_unicode_ci which is unicode (multilingual), case insensitive.
    3)  In the "MySQL connection collation:" field below it, I usually leave utf8_general_ci there as it is by default (for me).
   ... but you can also pick utf8_unicode_ci again if you choose (at the bottom of the drop-down list).
    4)  Then I create the tables.

What collation settings are you using when you create your database?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Re: sNews 1.6 MEMU - Character issues
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »

Same as you, Doug.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated