Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: two things  (Read 1588 times)

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
two things
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »

Hello snews dudes

I like to share with you my idea of what I think snews must be.. (from user side)

I love to make and design css sites, snews is my first choice to make almost any css site I want.
Because is simple, is easy, is fast, and have the ability to be flexible  when someone have some php skills

My site is down for at list one year now (donít ask why is very painful story for me)
but now I draw to bring it up, so am searching to find how I am going to do my new site.

I have read almost twice this forum the last few days, to find how to make my new design, but I am stuck, because some simple things I need for my site just canít do it with snews!!

This a simple list of what I think snews must have for the future.

1) Mods must be easy to include to snews, so far the most difficult part for snews is to add some mod.
And how I see it no new mods have made for snews1.7 all mods I see for 1.7 is old mods from 1.6-1.5 that have redesign to make it work for 1.7
(I am wrong?) Why happen that?

2) Snews must be MU, (no like how MU exist) but in some different way, let me explain this.
Users like the ability to have in their sites other users, not only to write comments, but to write articles, links, or whatever they want. Users like to have in their sites other programs to run like, forums, e-shops, gallery  etc.

My idea to make snews most wanted is to give the ability to work (integrate) with other programs,
I have read many people here to ask how to integrate snews with some forum, gallery,
even in other forums I have read people to ask to include snews,
but snews is not make it for that, so non integration have taken place (except one gallery?)

So snews must have the ability to register-login users, I have read about openid
http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=7123.0
this a wonderful idea if someone can do it.

One idea for register users is to write articles (yes I know is not prototype idea)
but I think is easy for snews to do this, simple users can write a comment,
register users can write also a comment but administration can have the ability to select where to put this
comment-article like page, article, extra?
Exactly like we write a new article and choice in what category we put it.
Or register users can write directly to a special category for users only.

I think if those two can happen for snews people is going to use snews properly and not like cms for blog.  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:43:47 PM by sibas »

centered

Re: two things
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »

1) Mods must be easy to include to snews, so far the most difficult part for snews is to add some mod.
And how I see it no new mods have made for snews1.7 all mods I see for 1.7 is old mods from 1.6-1.5 that have redesign to make it work for 1.7
(I am wrong?) Why happen that?

2) Snews must be MU, (no like how MU exist) but in some different way, let me explain this.
Users like the ability to have in their sites other users, not only to write comments, but to write articles, links, or whatever they want. Users like to have in their sites other programs to run like, forums, e-shops, gallery  etc.

1. Plugin capability.  If the core is built in such a way that doesn't need modification, then users never have to edit the core, and functioanlity will alway be built upon the core itself.  It is a win-win situation for all.  MU capability can be an addon modification to the core system.

2. Why MUST it be MU? It must be a SU base to be built upon for expandability of addons/mods/plugins/ whatever and this would allow for MU and MU modification to be compatible with the SU version.  In a sense one sNews

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:14:24 PM »

Being able to make MU capability as a plug-in would be ideal, though I think that certain modifications would be required to the core functions in order to have it applied as a plug-in... if we were to use Bakercad's approach, that is (perhaps it can be simplified more). Taking a quick look through Bakercad's 1.6MU snewsMU.php file, MU mods are located in many of the core functions... so there is a lot to consider in making MU pluggable:

- // LANGUAGE VARIABLES: 86 new values + additions to the $l['cat_listSEF'] string,
- // STARTUP: 2 users table queries: 1) username/password check and 2) set online status, 
- // TITLE: 2 user session-check strings,
- // BREADCRUMBS: 1 user session-check string,
- // LOGIN LOGOUT LINK: links to user profile and username,
- // PAGES: add registration panel link, if registration is enabled,
- // EXTRA: edit-privilege check,
- // CENTER: 10 additions, user-session-checks & case strings,
- // COMMENTS: 6 additions, user session-checks & redirect to registration panel,
- // LOGIN: 2 additions, registration link,
- // ADMINISTRATION FORM: 5 user session-checks for conditional admin panel link display,
- // SETTINGS: 4 user session-checks for conditional admin panel link display,
- // CATEGORIES FORM: 2 new "allow_edit" check strings, 2 user session-checks for conditional admin panel link display,
- // ARTICLES FORM: 2 new "allow_edit" check strings, 2 user session-checks for conditional admin panel link display,
- // ARTICLES- ADMIN LIST: 1 user session-check,
- // CATEGORIES - ADMIN LIST:- 1 user session-check,
- // PROCESSING: 8 new user-related post-value strings, $ufield string additions, 4 query alterations, profile 'case' section,

New functions added:
- // OBFUSCATION($data)
- // REGISTER
- // GET PASSWORD
- // CREATE PASSWORD
- // PROFILE
- // DELETE USER
- // THAW
- // USERS
- // USERS ONLINE
- // GET IDENTITY
- // SMART RETRIEVE FUNCTION AS ARRAY
- // JAVASCRIPT FUNCTIONS: new function pop2()
- // js2 (jscript, standalone)

Changes to the database:
- 2 new tables - users & guests,
- additional data rows in settings table,
- additional data columns in articles & categories tables.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

centered

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »

All of it can be included as a plugin to the SU with hooks and adding the highest priority to other plugins.

This will allow usage for all modifications instead of two seperate cores
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:36:00 PM by equilni »