Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Future Features  (Read 10860 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Future Features
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »

1)  Leightweight = small file size is, if not anyone else's, my definition... So, what is right definition ?

Quote from: Doug
If I were to make an MU option available with future versions, I would not restrict it to coming only as a 'fork'; I would make it an optional sNews package... in other words have both the Single User and Multiple User packages available for all future versions... though I don't know how practical that would be.
2)  Which would bring a lot, do it not... I mean every addon/MOD made for each should be made for the other (give or take specific things) for instance...

1)  I don't know what the 'right' definition is for lightweight and I'm not so sure that there is one, as it relates to code.
     There will always be different interpretations though.

2)  Our current way of making mods & addons available is to leave it up to individual users to do the 'making' and share their work voluntarily.
     We don't have an  "Official Mods & Addons List", like the more popular CMS dev sites do.
     We don't formally promote any specific mod or addon as a "Dudes Choice", and we don't limit what gets posted.
     Some mods can be equally applied to both SU and MU (1.6) while others need additional work in MU... depends on the mod.

Each version of sNews could be issued with 2 engine files... snewssu.php (for single-user) and snewsmu.php (for multi-user) with both being compatible with the rest of the package files. We would need to list the database table data and instructions for both in the readme.html file. The downloader would then make the decision on which engine file to install with the rest of the file-set based on which one is needed.     

Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

Leightweight = small file size is, if not anyone else's, my definition... So, what is right definition ?

My definition in this context is: An application that uses significant less (system) resources than average, relative to the functionality provided. In other words: Less memory usage, less cpu usage.
Disk usage, as discussed here and in this thead is not significant. Instantly admitted: If an app occupies a huge percentage of the webspace where it is hosted, size does matter. Generally speaking, that is not an issue, not even on cheap hosting. Therefore defining Lightweight as small file size is pointless.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »

A few (small sampling of) different interpretations of what a 'Lightweight CMS' is:

Le-CMS calls itself a "Super-lightweight" CMS... about 30 files @ just under 150KB.
Zimplit - "The Easiest OS CMS" - just 2 files @ 288KB
Compact CMS - "The most efficient and lightweight CMS"... 515 files @ 2.17MB
phpSQLiteCMS - 212 files @ 1.28MB
CMS from Scratch - "Quick, Easy & Cute" - the ZIP alone is 1.33MB.
SkyBlueCanvas - "The lightweight CMS"... at 3.5MB.
Perch - "A relly little CMS" (not free - no size noted)

Joost notes that, to him, its more about how few resources a CMS uses and less about physical disk space required for its file-set.
Perhaps we should spend some time testing various other Open Source offerings to see how well they perform in comparison to sNews.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:19:24 PM by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

centered

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »

Doug, I think that is pretty pointless because unless you are testing "apples to apples", how the ui is applied and have consistent test environments, you won't get the same results.  You also fail to note some of the hosted CMS's like Cushy CMS that have no download which could be considered "lightweight" as well (http://www.cushycms.com/)

** EDIT
If you really want to go small: http://cms.thewikies.com/ 6kb CMS.  How well is it?  I don't know

Lightweight can also mean the UI to the admin.  How unobstructive it is to the user and their goal of getting things done?  Does sNews do this?  How does this compare to other CMS's out there?  I noted a few times for revamping of the admin section (design wise, not code). I also showed examples of other CMS (WP, EE, Pivot 2) where they redid their admin section to be more user friendly.  It may not be the "sNews way" but it doesn't hurt to take a cue or two from thos who have done the research and the work involved.  Also I have noted html/css is not fluff at all.

I think a major issue is that no one is taking notes and constucting a game plan to take all these ideas and put them into use. We can talk to death but unless someone begins implementing them and others follow suit, alot of this talk is pointless. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:49:08 PM by equilni »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »

1)   Doug, I think that is pretty pointless because unless you are testing "apples to apples", how the ui is applied and have consistent test environments, you won't get the same results.  You also fail to note some of the hosted CMS's like Cushy CMS that have no download which could be considered "lightweight" as well (http://www.cushycms.com/)

** EDIT
2)   If you really want to go small: http://cms.thewikies.com/ 6kb CMS.  How well is it?  I don't know

1)  I could have listed it Jason but didn't since it had no download to take a look at. Note also that my post started with... "A few (small sampling of)"... not a major list by any means.

2)  Don't ask me... download, run it and find out.

I think a major issue is that no one is taking notes and constucting a game plan to take all these ideas and put them into use. We can talk to death but unless someone begins implementing them and others follow suit, a lot of this talk is pointless.

If you're waiting for someone else to take notes and construct a game plan... who would that person be? When you see something you believe needs to be done... then do it. Don't wait for someone else to come along and do it.  :o
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:35:30 AM by Keyrocks »

centered

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »

I think a major issue is that no one is taking notes and constucting a game plan to take all these ideas and put them into use. We can talk to death but unless someone begins implementing them and others follow suit, a lot of this talk is pointless.

If you're waiting for someone else to take notes and construct a game plan... who would that person be? When you see something you believe needs to be done... then do it. Don't wait for someone else to come along and do it.  :o

I think I have started the main direction to 1.8.  I have 4-5 threads in the dude forum and maybe 4-5 in the public forums.  I have also put up and taken down more 2.0 related posts to help push the project forward (and with lack of progress, I took almost everything down).  If I am waiting for anything, it is to see what the movements are to evaluate the next steps.

centered

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »

@ Fred, the mods could (hopefully) form a new thread on 2.0 MU and place all relevant discussion about MU to that thread...

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

Oky like i sead before snews need to be start from strach.First we need design log in page diferent style and admin interface need to be changed using css.I have some idea but i need to work my idea in photoshop and post screan/picture so you can see what i m talking about.Also email need to be stand alone too.Next user comment must have "reply" and "quote" function.Beter organized articles too.I can go on and on but i have plan to made some screan shot so you can see what i m talking about.I need time to do this because i work lot of hours at this moment...All see what i can doo soon ....
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »

I'll come back to talk on goin MU...

Fred in this subject:    
Yahoo to start indexing Microformats

In my brand new blog I use hAtom 0.1.
 http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom
It rhymes with HTML5:

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »

Oky lets start ...what i want to see first in new snews is a login page for admin (stand alone not like right now inside page)..I think login going to looks much better and easy to use.I created some my idea in photoshop so you can see what i m talkink about...This is first step i have plan to release also admin control panel with my idea..It is much easier like this (picture) to explain what we want..For me right now admin login page looks very ugly and i want to change that ....Now let's take look how this looks like on stand alone page. All your comments appreciated..

Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

centered

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:53 AM »

Stand alone login such as nothing else on the page or a stand alone function?

If just nothing else on the page, it can easily be done using CSS and some PHP

if ($categorySEF == 'login') {
// do your CSS
}

it also enforces my idea the user should determine the view...

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:11 AM »

Yes stand alone version on blank page..For me that look much better,clean and doesn't required big work in php and css.Also logo can be added above this login panel too.This is only first step.Right now i working on admin panel and once i finish i m going to post picture..With pictures is much easier to see what we want to be done in future releases...

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:36 AM »

stand alone version on blank page.

I would want to have mine in an overlay (like lightbox for example) rather than being transported to a new page. But that's me.
I agree that the login can be arranged in a cleaner, better way.

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »

I like to see maybe some Ajax sliding integrated in admin section.I also wold like to see admin panel separated from rest of page same stand alone...But that is me and my wishes ..:) i m working on screen shot for admin panel ...

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »

This is also reply function in comment which i think sNews must have..

FULL PICTURE PREVIEW (better quality)  http://www.movolab.com/svasta/replycomments.png

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:57:40 AM by Sasha »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4