Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Why You NEED APIs to Foster Innovation: A Case Study  (Read 1318 times)

centered

Why You NEED APIs to Foster Innovation: A Case Study
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »

http://webjackalope.com/using-apis-to-foster-innovation-a-case-study/

Why i think plugins for sNews is a must. 

4. API is relased
   5. New, better uses are found
   6. Product starts to refine itself

Now in case you werenít paying attention here, the key part of this cycle was API being released. Why? Because APIís mean innovation. And innovation is the key to winning the web app game.

Itís imperative that you make it easy as possible for innovation to happen with your web service (eq - or application).

Think how powerful a service could be with hundreds or even thousands of developers making interesting applications and furthering your brand. Make it ridiculously easy to access your data.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Why You NEED APIs to Foster Innovation: A Case Study
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »

I can think of another way to say the same. It's just one point though, but (to me) it's enough:
plugins make life simpler

(I can expand it if it's not clear enough.)
They make life simpler for the designer. Plonk a plugin call where you need it to appear in your site design, and it will.
They make life simpler for the coder. Build your plugin. Verify it doesn't break the core. Document usage. Sell.
They make life simpler for the educated/trusted user: plonk a plugin call in an article or page or extra and it should do what you expect it to do. (The emphasized bit is to make Joost happier)

(Those are very simplified declarations, I know, there are nuances and multiple hoops to go through and a myriad of things to consider along the way, but the bottom line is still true: they make life simpler.)

If more incentive is needed, plugins give us an 'ecosystem' Ė an additional channel for monetization as well as a 'word-spreader'. Imagine for example what WordPress would be without its plugin world...