Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suggestions requested for project site.  (Read 2755 times)

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
suggestions requested for project site.
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »

Site currently not online, so showing off all that I'm about to mention is not yet possible, but I am simply asking ideas on accomplishing a little additive to my articles.

This is a wine (not whine) site, where I'll be commenting on wines I have purchased from small cellar doors that I have visited when wandering about Australia.

Structure.
categories == wine types, or in the case of blends, the primary wine.
=>eg, GSM (Grenache-Shiraz-Mourvèdre), primary wine is Grenache, so that is where it gets put.
>>There is only one article directly in the cat, and at the bottom I have a modified menu_article giving a 2 column listing of all the wines in that category with (and sorted by) state name in brackets next to each.

sub-categories == the statesthe primary grape was produced.
=>eg, South Australia
>> here is where the individual appraisals are posted.

Now, since wines come from wineries (really?), I would like to be able to show a list at the end of these articles, of all other wines I have purchased from the winery.

What approach would people suggest, noting that I don't want to type in repetitive data.

a) modify menu_articles more? I don't think menu_articles is cut out for this.
b) modify search? search is too fuzzy, and is likely to pull out references in unrelated posts
c) implement tags mod?
d) another table with winery,region etc?

thoughts?
oh, a screenshot
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
Re: suggestions requested for project site.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »

Voted!
C and d

C for cépages: it would be usefull when a particular wine has some Syrah and Grenache (assemblage).

D if it's sortable: http://www.savourclub.fr/vente-vins/alsace-1-0.aspx. But it depends on what the visitors expect to find on your site.

nukpana

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »

Quickly reading it through, I would implement the tag mod and you can search and sort from there.  

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »

I'd probably also go with c) the tag mod, plus d) for an advanced search function.
Basically give people a more detailed search form with fields for various variables (winery, region, rating, grape family, etc).

I'm working on a book site which has that prerequisite -- allow people to search for books by subject and title in the short form and then have an advanced search form with a lot more options (which I will need to add db tables and input fields for...) and, here's the fun part - I have no idea how to extend the search engine to cope with that. But I'm scrutinizing the tag mod to see if anything gives in my tiny brain... ;) Just the small part, allowing search for subject+title combo, feels beyond me at the moment.

But I'm hijacking. Sorry. My opinion for your site, Phil: c) and d).
I'm asking my question over here
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:29:59 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »

Voted!
C and d

C for cépages: it would be usefull when a particular wine has some Syrah and Grenache (assemblage).

D if it's sortable: http://www.savourclub.fr/vente-vins/alsace-1-0.aspx. But it depends on what the visitors expect to find on your site.

thx for that site. It shows some good ideas to implement...
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.