Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Introducing the new Inkpattern Magazine site  (Read 7901 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Introducing the new Inkpattern Magazine site
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »

Thanks boys, I appreciate it.

@Philippe - the problem is that if I adjust the catalogue bit so it comes further down it will create a big space between it and the title which will look weird in Safari and Firefox (and, I think, IE9).I've changed it from <section> to <p> as a test - not sure if it makes a difference. I used section because if you reduce the window width to portrait mode then you'll see a slightly different layout and the catalogue line didn't work as I wanted it to in that layout but it's of course more important that it works as well as possible in normal view. I'm still working on the details (and the PDF...) and at the moment there's an issue with the .htaccess or possibly db that prevents comments and search from working, as well as  keeping me locked out of the Admin. I think it's a server update thing. At least I hope so.

Anyhoo, thanks for the thumbs up. :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:02:57 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »

In case anyone's missed it 8), comments etc work fine now. Threaded comments even, thanks to Jason (nukpana).

nukpana

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »

In case anyone's missed it 8), comments etc work fine now. Threaded comments even, thanks to Jason (nukpana).
Comment out the delete comment portion (within show_comments, edit_comments and the 2 sections within processing - from the top of my head).  Deleting the comment will mess up alot of things..  the mod is not finished, so be cautious!

Otherwise, I checked out the new version and I like it alot! Very nice!

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »

Thanks Jason. It uses a bunch of your stuff -along with tidbits from Bob and Phil- which helps. ;)
I know about the delete comments thing, and I'm aware that the threaded mod isn't 100% perfect yet, I'm planning to remove the content and add an editor's note to that effect rather than deleting whole comments for the time being. So no worries.

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »

:o
Is it a new version you’ve done recently?
I just came this morning and discovered this terrific design.
Man, I just love your style. 8)

I had the idea too to launch AnalogX LinkExaminer to see if you have the same issue I have (a meta link driving to /none/) and nope... but you got two 404:
- /rss-articles/images/hack.jpg
- /luketraynor.merseyblogs.co.uk

Also under Chrome, I noticed some chars weren’t well interpreted:
Continue »
is being displayed:
Continue »

Maybe the HTTP header is missing:
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
???

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

'allo mon Inspecteur! Long time no speak. How are your bugs? ;)

Confused... the links you mention are on frdk.com, not Inkpattern... 8)
However, short answer, images in the RSS-feed will turn up wonky unless absolute path is used - something I haven't been bothered to use but will start doing. In my mind it's a shortcoming of the RSS readers as <base href> should reasonably eliminate the problem but doesn't.
The luketraynor link is probably just mistyped - I'll check it. Thanks.

As for the character problem, yeah I noticed the same issue in my iPod Touch and I suspect Chrome might be using the same or similar engine as the touchSafari, which doesn't seem to acknowledge meta charset="utf-8", for whatever reason. I've changed it now but it would be nice if HTML5-capable browsers could behave the same in basic respects...
Safari gets the correct http-header btw, and since doctype is "html" good browsers should know what this means without being explicitly told through the http header. But I don't know, just guessing. ;)

Anyway, the paginator had the same issue (which is what I saw on the iPod) so I've opted for a webfont solution for the arrows and will do the same on the "continue" links - which I had missed, so thanks for that one.

The design? Thanks! It's just been modified slightly (I'm guessing you're thnking of the feature block on the home page primarily?). Did that as I was fixing the comments date handling and also because I thought that the search box looked a little odd on all white as it was before I changed it, hence the change in the masthead.

Only issue that's bugging me is that Firefox/TenFourFox and maybe some other browsers insist on rendering the top menu incorrectly (the Liverpool FC badge should be on a more centered line in relation to the text links rather than the way they appear in FF/etc. Safari 3-5 gets it perfectly right but I knowz not why the difference and I can't get it to go away at the moment. Just one of those annoying things I guess. Personally I use Safari so for me it doesn't matter. 8))

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:21:50 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

'allo mon Inspecteur! Long time no speak. How are your bugs? ;)

Confused... the links you mention are on frdk.com, not Inkpattern... 8)
:-[
Sorry. Of course I was talkin of frdk.com. ::)
As for the character problem, yeah I noticed the same issue in my iPod Touch and I suspect Chrome might be using the same or similar engine as the touchSafari, which doesn't seem to acknowledge meta charset="utf-8", for whatever reason. I've changed it now but it would be nice if HTML5-capable browsers could behave the same in basic respects...
Safari gets the correct http-header btw, and since doctype is "html" good browsers should know what this means without being explicitly told through the http header. But I don't know, just guessing. ;)

Anyway, the paginator had the same issue (which is what I saw on the iPod) so I've opted for a webfont solution for the arrows and will do the same on the "continue" links - which I had missed, so thanks for that one.
Now you’ve changed.
On my point of view these arrows should be coded and encoded into HTML entities in the CSS (with content:"" property).

Only issue that's bugging me is that Firefox/TenFourFox and maybe some other browsers insist on rendering the top menu incorrectly (the Liverpool FC badge should be on a more centered line in relation to the text links rather than the way they appear in FF/etc. Safari 3-5 gets it perfectly right but I knowz not why the difference and I can't get it to go away at the moment. Just one of those annoying things I guess. Personally I use Safari so for me it doesn't matter. 8))
Try with a fixed value.
Instead of 16%, -10px.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

Quote from: Sven
On my point of view these arrows should be coded and encoded into HTML entities in the CSS (with content:"" property).

Why would you do that? Seems to me the result would be the same. The arrows are currently HTML entities hard coded in the lang file. Only problem is there isn't any fallback font available for the symbol font used for the arrows, but that's a different headache altogether.

Quote from: Sven
Try with a fixed value.
Instead of 16%, -10px.

It's not the value that's the problem, it's the fact that Safari renders it one way (the expected way) and Firefox and possibly other browsers renders it a different (unexpected) way. If I change the value to suit FF, it'll look uglier in Safari. Since I use Safari exclusively, I don't want to do that. If it were a client or very public site, it wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't use Safari as the yardstick (unless of course that's what the client wants), but it's not, it's mainly for my own vanity's sake. I'm the client, if you see what I mean.

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

It's not the value that's the problem, it's the fact that Safari renders it one way (the expected way) and Firefox and possibly other browsers renders it a different (unexpected) way. If I change the value to suit FF, it'll look uglier in Safari. Since I use Safari exclusively, I don't want to do that. If it were a client or very public site, it wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't use Safari as the yardstick (unless of course that's what the client wants), but it's not, it's mainly for my own vanity's sake. I'm the client, if you see what I mean.
Weird.
After having changed the value I got here the same render with Opera, Safari, FF and even IE8.  ???

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »

That's even weirder... the value 16% is for the catnav a background image position
#catnav a#ynwa {text-indent:-999em; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 12px 0 12px !important; background:url(ynwa.png) no-repeat center 16%; width:36px; color:transparent; text-decoration:none;}

Changing the value to -10px gives the same visual result. On my Mac, it looks this way in Safari 4 (and on my other Mac, Safari 5):

On my Mac in TenFourFox (which is the Mac OS X 10.4 equivalent of Firefox 4 on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5 or 10.6) it looks like this:

There's a distinct difference, which shouldn't be caused by the background position - at least not as far as I know. I think it has to do with a difference in line-height handling, or possibly handling of inline-block, between the browser families on the Mac, but I'm not sure. Now, if Safari on Windows does the same as Firefox and Opera on Windows, then that's fine. As long as the mess is consistent. ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:17:00 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

Yeap, you were right. :-[
Under XP with Seamonkey, it doesn’t give the same result!
Did you try changing the line height to 2.8em for the whole list?
#catnav li {position: relative; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; font-size: 1em; line-height: 2.8em; }

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »

Yeap, you were right. :-[
Under XP with Seamonkey, it doesn’t give the same result!
Did you try changing the line height to 2.8em for the whole list?
#catnav li {position: relative; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; font-size: 1em; line-height: 2.8em; }

What is Seamonkey? 8)
Changing the line-height value won't fix the difference between browsers. Basically the problem is that Safari/Mac handles line-height or height of an anchor within a list-item that has display:inline-block set to it differently than Firefox/Mac or Opera/Mac (those are the ones I've tested, I suspect Chrome is similar but don't know for sure). In Safari/Mac, changing the line-height will affect the text within the anchor, with respect to the anchor's height. In the others it seems that the anchor itself is repositioned when line-height is changed. That's not what I want even if it technically might be correct. But above all I'd like all browsers to treat basic elements the same way.
Oh, and, world peace and good will towards all people would be nice too :D

It's not a big deal though, the difference is marginal between the browser families, and it's not an important site on any kind of scale, so... There are more important things to deal with, wouldn't you say?

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »

Seamonkey?
It’s Mozilla
I use a portable version of it.

I have to consider platform dependencies. No browser-specific hacks, forks or workarounds should be done to display correctly the layout but sometimes...  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]