Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: mySQL Future?  (Read 3639 times)

centered

mySQL Future?
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »

Just a thought came to mind when thinking about databases. Sun not to long ago bought mySQL, and now Oracle bought Sun.  According to this article, there are a couple of mySQL forks and the one to note is MariaDB, who is being lead by the mySQL founder/lead dev.  Now, I am not saying let’s look at MariaDB, but I am not sure what the future holds for mySQL and whether or not it may be viable for future development.  Right now I am looking at SQLite as a mySQL alternative on some smaller projects (one being snLite which I am now bringing back to life). The question is, should we think about database alternatives at this point or build the next engines with support for drop in database schemas and API. 

Also, does anyone have Invarbrass’ sNews Extreme edition, the one with Sqlite and mySQL db functions included?

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: mySQL Future?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »

I think MySQL will be around for a long time. It is running on 80% (or more) of the world's Linux-Apache powered servers.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:50:03 AM »

I read about the take-over.
 I don't think they can change the license of mysql  (open source) databases that are already out there. And if they can, I don't think they will (bad publicity) do that with current releases.
However, having sNews prepared for the worse scenario, is a good idea.

centered

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:44:23 AM »

I think MySQL will be around for a long time. It is running on 80% (or more) of the world's Linux-Apache powered servers.

I am not doubting that mySQL will be around for a long time.  I am just voicing a concern about recent events - especially when the "fork" states this as a goal:

To provide a community developed, stable, and always Free branch of MySQL that is, on the user level, compatible with the main version

It shows me at one point mySQL may not be free at some point.  Oracle can change the license at any time - perhaps even a mySQL update, I don't know I am speculating here.

I read about the take-over.
 I don't think they can change the license of mysql  (open source) databases that are already out there. And if they can, I don't think they will (bad publicity) do that with current releases.

Sun wouldn't because they are pro open source, at least most of what I have read.  Oracle may not be and could possibly change the license, again, only speculation here.

However, having sNews prepared for the worse scenario, is a good idea.
I agree and which is why I am bringing up this conversation

centered

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:15:12 AM »

A thread on Sitepoint worth reading through:  http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612031

It brings up an interesting point - Oracle bought Sun and it's competitor mySQL.  Oracle makes and sells Database Management systems and it's own database..... why use mySQL? Either to kill it, use it a pay per use...

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »

Don't worry guys, PostgreSQL is a  very capable database engine and is under BSD license (you can sell it if you want).
Hosting companies (many of them offer PostgreSQL already) will switch fast to it when things are going in a wrong direction.

PostgreSQL is my favourite for desktop database applications...

Personally,  I don't care for Java, it was a wrong decision - I was Oberon (made by Wirth Niklaus, the father of Pascal) partisan at that time...

____
I think sNews must make the switch or having an alternative at least. Maria engine and MariaDB are at alpha stage and it will not be used by hosting companyies too soon... An PostgreSQL capable sNews fork is very tempting... SQLite is just a toy...

Maria engine needs lot of space for transactional databases... this is a drawback...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:52:13 PM by funlw65 »

centered

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »

I think sNews must make the switch or having an alternative at least. Maria engine and MariaDB are at alpha stage and it will not be used by hosting companyies too soon... An PostgreSQL capable sNews fork is very tempting... SQLite is just a toy...

I think having alternatives could be easier than we think.  I have been looking over the Xtreme edition by invarbrass who has mysql and both versions of sqlite and switching by use of common function names - like so:

Code: [Select]
// Mysql
function db_query($query) {
   global $dbh;   
   $query_result = mysql_query($query, $dbh);
   return $query_result;
}

// Sqlite 2
function db_query($query){
  global $dbh;   
  $query_result = sqlite_query($dbh, $query);
return $query_result;
}

// SQLite 3 - PDO
  global $dbh;   
$query_result = $dbh->query( $query );
    return $query_result;
}

// With that PostgreSQL could be....
   global $dbh;   
   $query_result = pg_query($dbh, $query);
   return $query_result;
}

How is sqlite a toy?

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »

According to some who have used both... SQLite is best for single-user use (one user accessing the database at a time). MySQL is best for multi-user use. The most important difference... Sqlite is embedded in your code while MySQL isn't. The most important legal difference... Sqlite is public domain while MySQL is GP licensed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nukpana

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »

Not sure how I missed this but the creator of mySQL is now begging for help: 
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html

I, Michael "Monty" Widenius, the creator of MySQL, is asking you urgently to help save MySQL from Oracle's clutches. Without your immediate help Oracle might get to own MySQL any day now. By writing to the European Commission (EC) you can support this cause and help secure the future development of the product MySQL as an Open Source project.

Joost

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

Not sure how I missed this

You didn't really missed it.... that post is only 4 days old. You cannot monitor the whole world in real time, Jason. ;)
Luckily there is still sqlite for everyone (php5) and Postgresql for some of us.
To me, sqlite is the way to go. Sqlite is is not a toy, as Fun suggests.
Agreed, it gets a bit shaky if 30 users try to update the database at the same time and the number of visitors exceeds 2 million a day. By the time my hoster suggests to move to a dedicated server, I will port to a "real" database.

Tropy

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »

I know a little late but a not insignificant sqlite similar alternative
would be a php-generated CSV / TXT file.

yes only for the normal snews not the Mu version!

but only a suggestion

best regards Tropy

nukpana

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »

Wow this old...

Anyway, your note of a text file isn't that uncommon, you can use XML or JSON if you wanted to (ex - SDB, or others). These (JSON) options grew into NoSql databases, and you can use those as well - ex. (CouchDB, Mongo, etc). You can also use other relational DBs like Postgres, SQLite, or the mySQL alternative, MariaDB.

The issue is each one is how to apply it to the main system. Usually/traditionally, it's just mySQL and be done with it, but PHP discourages the usage of the mysql_* functions for mysqli_* or it's own PDO classes - but even that option is limited to selected Relational Databases and not the NoSQL/JSON options. MongoDB doesn't appear to be compatible with PDO. Other NoSQL options don't have official PHP inclusion - CouchDB, .

So how would this work? A DAO interface is an possible option.

Could be something like so:
Code: [Select]
mySQL(PDO)  SQLite(PDO)   PostgreSQL(PDO)   MongoDB(php)  CouchDB(lib)   textDB(lib)
    \           \              \                 /             /             /
                            common DB function interface
    /           /              /                 \             \             \
mySQL_DAO  SQLite_DAO   PostgreSQL_DAO       MongoDB_DAO   CouchDB_DAO   textDB_DAO
    \           \              \                 /             /             /
                                  main DAO class (static)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:27:03 PM by nukpana »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »

I know a little late but a not insignificant sqlite similar alternative - would be a php-generated CSV / TXT file.
yes only for the normal snews not the Mu version!
but only a suggestion
best regards Tropy

A bit of nostalgia...

Hi Tropy - actually there was a text d-base variant of the older sNews 1.4 that was put together by "Rod" (Dobey) - project thread here - and... believe it or not... his early work is still available for download here. I still have a copy of one of his last known packages on my old sNews site (uploaded Aug.27.2008) - you can download the sNews 1.4 txtdb.ZIP here if you want to explore it and see what it does. I kep that copy there so it would not be lost forever.  8)

Also... "centered" - now Nukpana - worked on a text d-base package of sNews 1.5.31 that he later noted would emerge as sNews 1.6. I don't have a copy of that. Perhaps Nukpana can reflect on how that project turned out.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:55:38 PM by Keyrocks »

nukpana

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 05:01:12 AM »

@Doug - lol I totally forgot about that.  I think that was permanently shelved due to lack of knowledge at the time.