Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: sNews 1.6 MEMU installation on localhost with folder  (Read 2292 times)

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
sNews 1.6 MEMU installation on localhost with folder
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »

I'm having trouble getting a localhost installation of sNews 1.6 MEMU working.  I've installed it in a subfolder of the default host.  I have set the RewriteBase directive of .htaccess.  This is on Ubuntu 8.04 (LAMP). When I try to run the installation I get the following error messages:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/var/www/memudev/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line 0

I'm not sure where the error is occurring, although it appears to happen very early.  The directory /usr/share pear does not exist -- is that the problem?  When I installed pear, it put it in /usr/share/php/PEAR.

I've been banging my head against this wall for some time now -- after checking and rechecking and searching help and forum, so it's time to call in for reinforcements (all of you in the forum ;) ).

Any thoughts?

Kent
“Every exit is an entrance somewhere else” — Tom Stoppard, British playwright

Joost

Re: sNews 1.6 MEMU installation on localhost with folder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »

Either it is an permission issue or an include issue (or both)

- php.ini tells php where to look for files to be included. You might have to change or add the path to the pear package.

- If it is a permission issue, you will have to loosen up the permissions of the php files, set them higher.
For instance: 0600 might need 0644
This depends on how the os and server is configured. If php runs as Nobody (basically meaning everyone except for owner and group), then it is the last digit that needs to be higher: 0600

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
Re: sNews 1.6 MEMU installation on localhost with folder
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »

Joost,

It was permissions -- thank you, thank you!  In fact, Karma +1 for you.  I should have suspected permissions, but was thinking something more esoteric.  I have two other installations in subfolders next to this one, but this is the only one where the files came in via ftp, and the permissions were 600.  Oh brother!

Kent
“Every exit is an entrance somewhere else” — Tom Stoppard, British playwright