Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: User photo  (Read 3897 times)

jhoulston

User photo
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

Hi All,

I'm new to sNewsMU but have used sNews in the past.

I have been thinking about trying to use sNewsMU to create a basic school alumni.
Is it possible that when a user registers, they can also upload a picture of themselves which is then associated with that user?  I would then like to be able to list alumni's by name and also maybe by photo if they have uploaded one to create a yearbook?

I may be asking too much for sNewsMU but thought it was worth asking you learned people.

Many thanks,
James.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: User photo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »

This sounds do-able if we were to use the sNews 1.6 Modules System as a platform. Using the Businesses Module as a reference... we could then create an Alumni Module... complete with an Admin panel set to manage (create new, edit and delete) User registration information which would include their photo. The Module's front-end would then display the Alumni listings on a page(s) within function center() (as all other content is displayed). Modifications would include making the module's Admin panels available only to logged-in Users.

I have not yet applied the Modules System to an MU package... I'm still working on refinements with the default 1.6 package.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:41:31 AM »

Keys,

I find myself wanting to do something similar (but not quite the same of course) as James.  My need is for a "module", let's call it a Student module, to manage a list of students who are receiving scholarships from a non-profit I'm part of.  I currently have the organization's web site powered by sNews 1.6 MEMU.  I want to be able to have the student's photo, and perhaps a sponsor photo with each record.

So, have you thought any more about modularizing MEMU?  Or could one take the Business module as a template and enhance it and add it to MEMU as a mod?

Kent
“Every exit is an entrance somewhere else” — Tom Stoppard, British playwright

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »

Keys,

I find myself wanting to do something similar (but not quite the same of course) as James.  My need is for a "module", let's call it a Student module, to manage a list of students who are receiving scholarships from a non-profit I'm part of.  I currently have the organization's web site powered by sNews 1.6 MEMU.  I want to be able to have the student's photo, and perhaps a sponsor photo with each record.

So, have you thought any more about modularizing MEMU?  Or could one take the Business module as a template and enhance it and add it to MEMU as a mod?

Kent

Well I did complete the project with the single-user (default) sNews 1.6 to the point where I haven't come across any noticable bugs. I am confident it will be relatively easy to add it to Bakercad's MU package as well. And, yes, if I were going to make a Student Module, I would start with the Business module, clone it, rename it and modify it as requiired to function as the Student module. The same set of files and functions would do the job, with one table, with minor changes here and there to suit the content for the student module.

My problem of late is that I got persuaded to get involved with a major national project (in Canada) in early January and it has been consuming most of my time... so I just haven't gotten back to sNews projects for a while. This new project involves working with a membership database that has almost 70,000 entries and is expected to grow to over 100,000 within a few more months. This has got me thinking how an sNews MEMU package - with modules system added - might be used as the engine for an online membership database website, where a few hundred membership admins would be able to log into their own regional sections and perform administrative work on their own membership sections.

I might also note that Luka is currently working on a completely new version of sNews - 2.0 - that starts from scratch... and aims to have the core engine power any number of content management modules. I'm looking forward to seeing where this leads to.  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I think I will proceed with the Business module.  I've looked into using a mailing list manager (e.g. phpList) and a CRM app (e.g. Sugar CRM), but neither fits what I need.  CRM is certainly overkill, and phpList is probably too restrictive.  One of my requiriements is to be able to attach a photo for each student, and I ddin't see that phpList could do that.  I thought about extending the user table in sNews 1.6 MU, but the students wouldn't really be users.  Anyway, the business directory module has a good combination.

I have really come to like sNews in the year and a half I've been working with it.  Luka's work on 2.0 does sound interesting, and it will definitely be worth keeping an eye on that.

All the best with your large membership database project.  That sounds like a major piece of work.

Kent

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

So far so good.  I have the Business module operating as a "mod" to MEMU in my development environment.  I'm still designing the Student "module", so haven't started any coding on that yet.  I used more of the modules infrastructure than I thought I would, perhaps I should include the general parts to include modules if they're activated.  I'm thinking about that.

A question, MEMU question I guess -- I've added the "function use in articles" mod by philmoz to my MEMU development.  Any suggestions where I could find an icon for it to use in the article editor?

Kent

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

A question, MEMU question I guess -- I've added the "function use in articles" mod by philmoz to my MEMU development.  Any suggestions where I could find an icon for it to use in the article editor?
Kent

I haven't been working with the old MEMU project for some time... so it took me a while to refresh my memory and all...  :P
I do have Philmoz's Function Inserter in a completed site using a more modified MEMU package... with an icon.
Here is the icon I made up for it -
Copy and paste it into your sn_icons folder - and name it - function_insert.gif

I'm not sure what snewsMU.php file you have... but try searching yours for - # Insert Event Block within the # EDITOR FUNCTIONS section of the // ARTICLES FORM function. I inserted Philmoz's script just above it (without the php-tags) as...

Code: [Select]
<?php

# Function Insert (Philmoz) 1 string
echo '<input type="image" class="edit_icon" src="'.db(website).''.gl(sub_dir).'sn_icons/function_insert.gif" alt="'.l('button_function_insert').'" name="func" value="Function" onclick="tag(\'func\'); return false;" />';

?>

This should get it displaying in your Admin panel OK... and it should work if you've already put this part in the bottom end of function tag(tag) ... above the default: string .... in the javascript part of the snewsMU file (down near the end of the file) (again, without the php-tags)

Code: [Select]
<?php

// Insert Function - Philmoz
case 'func'// adding function insertion
url prompt("<?php echo l('function');?>
", ''); // function name no brackets
title = prompt("<?php echo l('parameters'); ?>", ""); // params, seperated by comma.
start = url !=null ? '[func]'+url+':|:' : ''; // start
end = '[\/func]'; // and end tag
break;

?>
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:42:36 PM by Keyrocks »

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »

Thanks -- this makes a matched set.

Kent