Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Backward compatible ?  (Read 4732 times)

Dave Porter

Backward compatible ?
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:06 AM »

Hi everyone,

The subject asks the question, but will 1.7 break a 1.6 existing site ?

cheers, Dave Porter

centered

Re: Backward compatible ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

Since 1.7 is still in development and a beta, I would consider not using it in production sites.  Please use 1.7 in test areas only

Dave Porter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »

It was just a general question of interest !
cheers, Dave

Knitter

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

I'm also interested in that question, how is the compatibility between the current stable and the next release?

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »

The best way to learn about the differences between the 2 would be to do file comparisons in WinMerge (a free code comparitor/editor).

index.php - only 1 minor change:
The function-names in the index.php (template) file are the same for both versions. So, if you have already ported a template to run with your site... you can retain your existing index.php file. The only change required would be to remove session_start(); since... with 1.7... we no longer need to call this function on the first line in the index.php file.

.htaccess - Identical, no change

Database Tables:
There are several changes in the database tables. sNews 1.6 has four tables. sNews 1.7 has the same-named four tables plus a 5th called extras and it helps increase the usefulness of extras.
articles table has the same 13 data-types in both versions but 1.7 has an addition 7 data-types not previously used in 1.6.
categories table with 1.7 has one more than 1.6 - subcat added for subcategories functionality.
comments table - no change, same in both version.
settings table - with 1.7 has 10 more data-values than the 1.6 table.

Preparing for an Upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7:
The first and most important thing to do would be to run a complete back-up of your existing 1.6 database... so you have an SQL dump file for 2 things... the first being to re-create your database with should everything go wonkers and you want to revert back to where you were before you started and... the second... to use in creating a new, populated 1.7 dbase table-set that you can use to make up your own SQL Dump file to populate your new database with your 1.6 data. This can be tedious work if you have lots and lots of data in your existing dbase.

I think a couple of our esteemed Dudes are working on an SQL Update file that can be used to update an existing 1.6 database. I remember giving it a test-run a week or 2 ago and it worked OK... and I expect it will be included in the eventual Stable 1.7 release.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:11:23 PM by philmoz »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »

a basic site (no mods) shouldn't break.
If you have mods installed, they wil need to be refactored/rewritten to fit the new version.
the rc has the upgrade sql included.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Knitter

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:47 PM »

The best way to learn about the differences between the 2 would be to do file comparisons in WinMerge (a free code comparitor/editor).

Actually, the best way is to ask in the forums, and wait for a developer to come and give the RTFM answer with a link to the changelog :D.

Seriously, using diff would produce a myriad or information that would not help me understand if the new version is compatible with the old or not, most of this information is available only to developers or only if I spent a few hours looking at the code, when evaluating a software for use, spending a few hours trying to understand if the next version will not force you into perilous upgrade paths, doesn't sound good.

Currently I have no need for other MODs, if I miss anything in the current stable that the next one doesn't bring I'll see what mods exist, until I find something I need and that is not in the stable releases I'll just have a basic system. That was the main reason I choose sNews, it's small and simple, if I need more than what sNews has to offer, than maybe it's time to move to other systems.

Thanks for the replies, as I understand, the changes in the next version will add functionality but will not break the sNews 1.6, that's all I needed to know.

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »

Knitter,
Your actual blog is based on Wordpress. Your intention is to replace it with sNews? What is the reason on doing this?
Thank you!

Knitter

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »

WoW, I got a blog visit, that's nice :D, sorry to say it's Portuguese only, so I believe you left without the change to read my wisdom pearls :D

As for you question, no, I have no intention on replacing any of the current systems I use for my personal space, neither the blog, the wiki, or the personal page. This is for a different project, at the moment only one, that will simultaneously be use to test-driveI sNews.

I needed a simple, small, easily customizable system, that would allow me to publish one or two announcements from time to time, that would provide easily accessible dynamic content with the possibility of having static pages. If needed the system could use a mysql DB or flat file storage, could use PHP 5 and Apache. The system should also have no maintenance burden and no administration work. I have no need for more than one user, but I need basic content management capabilities.

Being a Wordpress and PmWiki user, I know that those systems, as simple as they are, do not fulfill all my requirements. So I searched a and looked at a few systems, CMS, Blogs and other news publishing systems, sNews was the one I liked the most. I had it running in a minute or so and the template functions are simple and effective.

If sNews proves to be a good bet, I'll probably use it more often on other sites/systems I need to develop. It could prove to be a good and simple CMS base.

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:18:38 AM »

Ok, thank you for your answer! :)