Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: AlumniPro integration with snews  (Read 5540 times)

jhoulston

AlumniPro integration with snews
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »

Hi All,

I am in the throws of creating an online Alumni and I'm using a piece of software called AlumniPro 2. It does everything I want it to do, but wonder how easily (if at all possible) it could be integrated into snews so users can register from front page and the backend of the alumni admin area is integrated in snews admin backend etc.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks,
James.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:46:08 PM by jhoulston »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: AlumniPro integration with snews
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »

There are (at least) 2 things to consider when considering whether a 3rd party application's back-end and front-end can be integrated into sNews.

First, it needs to be an Open Source package released under the Creative Commons license... which means it comes free and all of the code is 100% modifiable without limitation. It appears you must purchase AlumniPro in order to download and use it... and that would (likely) mean that it is not released under the Creative Commons license and not modifiable. It may also be possible that all of the code is written so that it only runs on a Zend-enabled server... which would mean that none of the code would even be editable... it would all be garbled and unrecognizable when you open its files in a code editor.

Second... if the code is released under the Creative Commons license... the next consideration would be whether or not the functions (and their conditional actions) can be modified fairly easily so that they will run in a way that can be integrated into the sNews functions. This determination requires an almost line-by-line (at least function-by-function) examination of all code files.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU