Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: To begin at the beginning  (Read 30426 times)

mosh

• Awesome day :)
    • cms-zen
Re: To begin at the beginning
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

hey all  ;D

I am working on it and I have your contact information - thanks.

are we talking on snlite ?
i would love to see it developed.

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

There's no birthday to mark... no need to be scarcastic at all.
To be fair, Luka's serious health issues kept him from fulfilling his original promise to produce a 2.0 core over a year ago. This can happen to anyone.
Gee! I didn't know about this. :-[
I wish him a prompt relief.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

No one else appears to have come up with something better either.
You didn't ask...

That true, I didn't ask you in particular... though I didn't think that would be necessary since, in the past, you've shared a lot of what you've worked on without being asked... as in the case with your tutorials (as Fred noted) and optional functions, to name a couple.

I can understand that you have not been as 'connected' as you were before your request to have your "Dude' status removed, so you aren't up to speed on conversations between the active Dudes unless one of the Dudes involved shares them with you. But, you always have the same opportunity to voluntarily contribute to the continued development and improvement of sNews as any other sNoozer on these Forums... now as much as you have in the past.  8)

So... (here is the question now) have you made any progress with Luka's 'concept' file-sets... the ones I passed on to you back in the early spring?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

nukpana

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »

Mosh - sortof. It will be a variation of it.

Doug - when did my 'status' come into question? ???
Also, as stated the files sent wasn't enough to base a system around.

(Btw systms down at work-chill time for a bit)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »

1.  Doug - when did my 'status' come into question? ???
2.  Also, as stated the files sent wasn't enough to base a system around.
3.  (Btw systms down at work-chill time for a bit)

1.  I dunno... no question from me.
    Just noting that you haven't been in the Dudes board for a while since you've been off the Dudes list for some time.

2.  What was the point in noting that I didn't ask if my assumption was correct (no being your answer).

3.  (I'm out for the rest of the day)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »

to get back on track..  :P
Looking at the function extra(), I believe firmly now that it is too low in the scheme of things, and needs to be revamped, renamed and made more pervasive.
Call it location... and use it in the template file to call whatever.
With the current 'extra groups' this enables setting multiple tiered locations for content based on the extra_group/extra_name, even in the main content area.
(and yes, this would need to use something similar to my [func] which is currently a base part of 1.7, but needs rework and optioned [paramaterised])

<begin incomplete thinking>
All current display functions should be plugins, some however are mandatory to actually have a system at all.
Not necessary:
menu_articles, sitemap, login_link, archive, contact, comment, new_comments, search_form, search, breadcrumbs --- plus more
Set up as plugins, they would be allocated to their 'location', possibly even allowed micro templating

Absolutely necessary:
center - need to display content
categories - need to be able to locate content (granted, could just have an unlimited menu_articles)
...but once again set up as plugins, however they have to be present for there to be a system, so may not be disabled .. replacement should be possible.

Going this path, effectively separates front from back.

some of this has been mentioned (or even done with 1.7)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:50:52 AM by philmoz »
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »

to get back on track..  :P

All current display functions should be plugins, some however are mandatory to actually have a system at all.
Not necessary:
menu_articles, sitemap, login_link, archive, contact, comment, new_comments, search_form, search, breadcrumbs --- plus more
Set up as plugins, they would be allocated to their 'location', possibly even allowed micro templating

Absolutely necessary:
center - need to display content
categories - need to be able to locate content (granted, could just have an unlimited menu_articles)
...but once again set up as plugins, however they have to be present for there to be a system, so may not be disabled .. replacement should be possible.

I agree Phil. All display functions as plug-ins with center() and categories() always enabled. If we have an admin panel that auto-detects plugs and lists them with enable-disable links, I think we could filter out the links for center() and categories() easily enough so they are included in the list but are always enabled by default. I have an admin panel similar to this working well for my 1.6 modules package. Though it's a bit fancier than what might be 'right' for a default sNews package - uses icon images for links and shows a lock for those that are locked (always enabled) - it might be a model to work with.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:25:27 AM by Keyrocks »

nukpana

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »

to get back on track..  :P
Looking at the function extra(), I believe firmly now that it is too low in the scheme of things, and needs to be revamped, renamed and made more pervasive.

Haven't I been saying this for some time now...

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »

Haven't I been saying this for some time now...

You aren't the only one... but yes.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:37 AM »

Quote from: The Train Master

For me personally, something I'd like to see is a more flexible category index output. As it is, what we have to play with is basically one line -- which is pretty much wired hard to articles(). Not a lot of customisability (wtf! my spellchecker claims that that's not a word! 8)) Seriously though. It would be fun/useful to be able to for example have a "features" block with say two or three articles in the normal (shortened) way, followed by a list of the rest of the articles [in that category]. I'm sure there are other variations that could be fun/useful, but that's one that is on my mind right now. (I know it could be faked using Extra bits in combination with other mods, but 1) that's just one potential thing you could do with a more flexible category index output, and 2) I still would want a more flexible category index output...)

Another thing I definitely think would be beneficial is a stand-alone paginator. Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't believe we still don't have one... [in the core]
There are of course any number of other changes/new things that might have precedence to that, but... think about it.

@Jason - what Phil said. Plus, there are a number of us that have been agreeing with you (and everyone else that's been saying it) for some time now... plug-a-bility, a must-have.

nukpana

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »

Another thing I definitely think would be beneficial is a stand-alone paginator. Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't believe we still don't have one... [in the core]
Please test one here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=9194.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:30:00 PM by nukpana »

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »

Am testing it now... Thanks Jason.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]