Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: To begin at the beginning  (Read 30425 times)

Slickwilly789

Re: To begin at the beginning
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:45 AM »

I'm pretty new to sNews, and php been working in css and html for a year now. What drew me to sNews was its small size and its core, i.e. you can add what you want and don't have to have what you don't need. Another benefit of small size is that all the base code is in one location making the system easier to learn, at least for me.

Jumping to a 2.0 version is a huge jump in any program or web app. and should be the basis for all further development of that version. I think with 2.0 you have the opportunity to relook at sNews and re-develop the core, I've read through and some people mention the database structure.. which is good.

I've read through numerous threads about creating the ability to add categories to pages (not pages to categories) and there seems to be some for it and some against it. You can check out equilni's thread on it here http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=7062.0 I think this would broaden sNews's base and help further distinguish it apart from other cms systems. I'll post some pictures once I move my files from work to my home server so you can get some working examples..

Again from someone is pretty new to sNews... I think there are a ton of great ideas floating around this thread and others about the further direction the sNews community wants to take. However, it's pretty hard to get a firm understanding of what everyone wants, while easily tracking ideas. I found this free web application, the other day, that would be perfect for something like this! I think it would really benefit the continuing development and brainstorming of 2.0. It's called UserVoice, a lot of web projects and businesses are starting to use it including me! check it out here!  http://uservoice.com and here is a really good example of what it can do for developing projects that benefit from community input. http://blog.uservoice.com/2008/08/28/tweetdeck-finding-success-with-uservoice/

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:31:35 AM by Slickwilly789 »

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »

About administration (comments):

Look here, I talked about it in many posts I think,,, so my apologies if I am annoying ...

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

Structure
sNews 2.0 should be rewritten from the ground up. Mainly because we need to introduce a special handler when it comes to db queries. A set of functions based on the input (scalar, sql, non-sql) should query the db and return the result. With a handler like this we can easily display a debugger, manage db caching or simply track queries number and load.

Secondly, rewriting is needed to get better logic for every function, especially center function and to get the modularity we need.

Database
Database structure should be changed according to the new code. Every (major) module should have it's own table which should be managed by the module itself.

OOP
I don't think making sNews OO will improve performance, but it would lead to a well structured code. If there's a great number of people that code out of a hobby - there's a great chance they'll be having difficulties modifying sNews.

Bits and pieces
sNews 2.0 should have at least 5 new short functions (template tags) that will make life easier. Functions like menu_articles, rss_links...

Template manager
Offcourse. Because it's too damn easy to do it.

Modularity (plugin system)
This is the main reason why sNews should be rewritten, and this will be the main feature of sNews 2.0. As I wrote a number of times, plugin system can be easily achieved regardless of the number of files we're dealing with.

I'm a new user. How can I install plugins?
A plugin dashboard will be available when you log in to admin area. This dashboard will list all installed modules and offer new modules for installation which are pulled from an online repository. Every module can be installed or uninstalled with a single click.

I'm a coder. How can I write plugins?
All plugins will have to follow the same structure which will include a db structure and code process. We're talking about display operations and CRUD. Plugin has to have an installation routine aswell.

Wysiwyg
sNews 2.0 will have it's own wysiwyg editor with an option to see/edit the 'raw' html code. The editor is currently in it's RC state and offers some really good features despite the fact that it only has 230 lines. This editor will be tested separately from sNews because it needs extensive testing in all browsers. Also, this wysiwyg editor has it's own PHP uploader which recognizes the file types and stores them accordingly. This allows to insert images while editing an article and to upload (and link to) PDF files as well.

2.0 stands for something new. Right?
To make sNews more appealing and to introduce new features we could also take an in-place editing approach. If you clicked on the Edit link, the item you are editing could turn into a form field to allow fast editing. This would be done using AJAX. Another approach is to introduce a floating div which is brought to front on every admin action. With a margin of 50px, the rest of the screen gets greyed out and we have an intuitive content management.

Conclusion
When you think of sNews as a modular 'kernel', it should stay in one file. Modularity expands this CMS to a whole different level, allowing you to try different modules and to install significant features such as a forum or a shopping cart.
Also, a guide on using sNews has to be written because even the experienced users sometimes don't think of some very easy techniques to put sNews into a task of running a big magazine portal.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:01:59 PM by Luka »

Joost

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

Not sure. You want OOP,  or Not?

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

Not sure. You want OOP,  or Not?

We should not use OOP. IMO.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »

I like your vision for 2.0 Luka. Well thought out.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »

Wysiwyg
sNews 2.0 will have it's own wysiwyg editor with an option to see/edit the 'raw' html code. The editor is currently in it's RC state and offers some really good features despite the fact that it only has 230 lines. This editor will be tested separately from sNews because it needs extensive testing in all browsers. Also, this wysiwyg editor has it's own PHP uploader which recognizes the file types and stores them accordingly. This allows to insert images while editing an article and to upload (and link to) PDF files as well.

This is great!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:59:02 PM by funlw65 »

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »

Hey Luka first welcome back  ;D .Can you tell me with all this new "features" snews 2.0 going to be in one core file or going to be split in more files?
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

Hey Luka first welcome back  ;D .Can you tell me with all this new "features" snews 2.0 going to be in one core file or going to be split in more files?

Core file (snews.php) will still be in one file.

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

Structure
 8< snipped >8
... especially center function and to get the modularity we need.
Thought/s
Main purpose of script is to collate, select and output content -- for end user perusal -- in the main area
-such content selection could leave (in-script - session/global) information that would be utilised by parasitic and symbiotic functions like menus, tags and the like
OOP
No OOP... fine by me ;)
Bits and pieces
sNews 2.0 should have at least 5 new short functions (template tags) that will make life easier. Functions like menu_articles, rss_links...
perhaps some of these functions should also be in the [mod] category, and delivered with final version. This would allow end developer to alter without having to touch core.
Template manager
Offcourse. Because it's too damn easy to do it.
yup... real easy
Modularity (plugin system)
This is the main reason why sNews should be rewritten, and this will be the main feature of sNews 2.0. As I wrote a number of times, plugin system can be easily achieved regardless of the number of files we're dealing with.
Agree.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »

thx Luka!!! I like your idea using ajax too in snews 2.0 project...ajax is a powerfull tool....I think Luka your vision how snews need to look in future is excelent...I m talking about modules for long time and i see keyrocks try to do somthing with this and i also think that is a great step ahead for snews....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:52:33 AM by Sasha »
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »

LUKA - More on 2.0  Structure:
Before we start writing 2.0 from scratch, let's give some thought to how sNews will deliver content in general.

Up to now, sNews has had four content types:
1 - single-function pages like Archive, Sitemap, Contact, Comment, etc.
2 - Pages in addition to the above,
3 - Articles for blogging,
4 - Extras  for side-bar content (short notes, links, etc.) on pages.

In my last project of Exploring Versatility, I worked out my own approach to having auto-detected modules to input and display other content types. I moved the Archive, Sitemap and Content into individual modules in the modules directory. I completely re-organized and added new functionality to my Calendar project (thanks to Poppoll and Rui for assistance) so that it operates as an individual module. I also created a Business Listings module as well. I am not a really experienced coder but I did manage to adapt my approach to work reasonablly well with 1.6.

My reasoning here is that a CMS should start out with being able to process and serve just about any kind of content. The core (snews.php) starts the system and makes the admin system and activated modules available, and processes the actions taken in all modules. The types of content being processed and served is limited only by the number of content modules the system has to work with. Modules would be completely self-contained, in that their folders would contain all of their module-specific scripts (admin and public-view).

A simple structure:
index.php - the template
snews.php -  core engine functions... the ones that start up the system and do all of the processing.
admin/index.php - basic admin system functions,
content directory - root directory containing individual content module folders with module-specific files.
        /archive module
        /sitemap module
        /contact module
        and other content-type modules

This way, sNews can serve articles, pages AND just about anything else on a page that one might need. For instance:
- menuing system,
- business directory,
- calendar
- gallery
- classified ad listings, real estate ad listings,
- shopping cart (store-front),
- sports team games or other events scehdules,
- inventory management (parts, equipment, etc),
- membership management (thousands of members of an organization),
- rss feed functions,
- and the list of application-specific content is almost endless
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:19:09 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »

See, now we're talking... Mind you, I don't get half of it, but what I DO get sounds great...

Quote from: Jase-man
Bits and pieces
perhaps some of these functions should also be in the [mod] category, and delivered with final version. This would allow end developer to alter without having to touch core.
This isn't bad... Is it. To me this make senzzze, and speaking bout sense, Dougie provides some insight worthy of thinking about.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »

LUKA - More on 2.0  Structure:
Before we start writing 2.0 from scratch, let's give some thought to how sNews will deliver content in general.

I have already started rewriting sNews as I'm working on workflow chart (1. point) as descibed under 2.0 Development. We can continue the discussion there and announce our progress periodically.

Without going into details, what you've written about modularity is a good starting point but obvious. The trouble is when you want to create modules dependency and modules working with each other. For instance, if you installed a image gallery plugin, you would want a link to be displayed in the menu. Now this is some food for thoughts and we can then go to step three.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »

I get drouzy thinking about it... Or it's the three beers I've had ;) I put my "sNewslife" in your capeable hands dear sirs... You have my full confident for sure...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6