Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Linux version  (Read 4937 times)

kanzy

Linux version
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »

Hi@all!
I've only linux machines (server & workstations) with Slackware OS. Now I try to adapt v1.7 to looks fine on linux display, but there are many things to do.. can you help me?  ::)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Linux version
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:20 AM »

Hi@all!
I've only linux machines (server & workstations) with Slackware OS. Now I try to adapt v1.7 to looks fine on linux display, but there are many things to do.. can you help me?  ::)

I work on an XP machine. I do not think any "Dudes" work on a Linux machine... but I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see if a Linux user comes along that can help you.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »

The majority of hosting companies use linux ( LAMP) and sNews is known to run on such installations. So search the help section for solutions. If you cannot get sNews to work ,simply post (describe) the issue.

kanzy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »

Well, snews works fine on the server, it's the appearance on the linux display that I don't like too much, because the graphical manager approach is different. It is necessary to [re]format all the configuration (especially characters).

OT
In the Latin Languages (it, but also fr, de, ecc): new = nuovo (m) nuova (f) nuovi (pm) nuove(pf);
It's necessary to add new voices about translate words in correct mode.
/OT

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »

No offense intended... Kanzy... but your experience sounds like a good reason for me to stick with what I have now. For offline development... I've been using the XAMPP server bundle on XP since the end of 2004... without problems. I don't have the patience to customize a server setup using a Linux OS.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »

kanzy,

On Ubuntu forums is a solution regarding to Windows rendering style. There is a link to a package which contain Windows fonts and configuration files for changing the way Linux render .ttf fonts. At the end, you will have same look on both stations. The problem is, when you start to work in GIMP or Inkscape with text, you will have horrible results... I'm sticking with Linux standard way of rendering true type fonts. You can still install Windows fonts without changing the rendering style to see what you can get.

I suspect you are using GNOME? Try KDE ... is closer to Windows. Anyway, try an Ubuntu distro...

kanzy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »

@keyrocks

don't worry.. I make the work.. it's not difficult, but tedious.

@funlw65

I don't like window$ style & development, I prefer crude Linux  ;D

jlhaslip

• My snews with AEF Forum site
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »

The sNews default looks fine on Linux Ubuntu 8.04 according to my Laptop.
Yes! I have no siggy.

Knitter

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 05:44:03 PM »

Hi@all!
I'm sorry for replying to an old topic, but I got curious, what problems or changes does sNews need? As a linux user I can't see what you're talking about, and being a new sNews' user, I would like to understand any problem that could occur ;)

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »

Well, snews works fine on the server, it's the appearance on the linux display that I don't like too much, because the graphical manager approach is different. It is necessary to [re]format all the configuration (especially characters).

It was not too clear but is not an sNews problem. It complains about the way fonts are rendered in XWindow, different from Windows and he don't like how sNews is looking in browser, on Linux....

Knitter

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »

If that's the problem, then that's not a problem :D, at least not a sNews.