Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Possible Issues  (Read 3354 times)

laila

Possible Issues
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

This is my first time using snews, so I'm new to editing content through and HTML text box editor as oppose to HTML in a notepad document. That said, the first topic I truly believe to be an error, while the second one may be a result of me not doing something correctly.

1. But when I click on "Home, it's not directed to my home page enabling me to make edits as with the other pages.

2. Also, when I add a new category, I get the message, "Operation completed successfully!" but when I click on it to make edits, it says, "Content not found."

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Possible Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

I do not experience either of these problems, even on a default 1.6 install.
1 - Clicking on Home always displays Home for me.
     The URL in the bottom bar of your browser should point to your domain root (http://your_domain_name.com) when you mouse-over any Home link.
2 - To Edit a category, you must go back to the main Admin Panel, click the VIEW link beside Categories, then click the EDIT link for the category.
     You cannot edit a category by clicking the category title in the side-bar.
     If you click the category title in the sidebar, and you have no article assigned to it yet, you will get "content not found" cause there is none yet.

Questions...
1 - Which package did you download and install?
2 - Have you made any modifications in any functions?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

laila

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  :)

Let me clarify the first item just a bit: When accessing the site just as anyone would (www.mydomainname.com), clicking on home works just fine. But when I log in, there's the "Admin" link, then the "Home" link beside it. I click on home and it takes to a completely different location on the site (not the home page). On that page, there is an "edit" link, but I cant edit the home page by clicking home, because it directs me to completely different page (again, this is when I'm logged in for the purpose of editing the site, not as any web user).

For the second item, I click on the view link beside Categories, then I click on edit beside the category, but there's no where for me to add and/or edit content (no text box, no edit link, etc.). I did also attempt to click on the category title in the sidebar, and as you've mentioned it displays the "content not found" message. I'm at a dead-end here. Is this an error or have I dont something wrong? :-\

To answer your questions:
1. To be honest, I dont know which package was downloaded; the site was already created, and I'm kind of taking over what someone else had already begun.

2. No, I've made no modifications in functions.

Thanks.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

I think we should determine what "package" you have... it might give us some clues.
Open your snews.php file in your code editor.
If it's a modified package... perhaps one of the packages that a few of the Dudes have created (with their own mix of modifications)... there should be some comments at the top of the file that say who did the package... or what's in it.

As an example... if it's one of my packages... like sNews 1.6 ME... then the engine file will be core2.php instead of snews.php... and the comments at the top of the file would include patch and revision notes. If it's my sNews 1.6 MEMU package... the engine file will be called snewsMU.php and again... lots of comments listing the mods and patches at the top.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

Laila,
Is not a good idea to continue work on a package with unknown modifications...
Keep only the theme if the client want that and take a fresh package (including already moded ones, where the packager can offer you support) from sNews site. This way you are in charge, not the package. Because you  must offer guarantees.

Debugging is a very hard job, never liked :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:21:52 PM by funlw65 »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »

@ Laila... getting back to the two points in your last post...

1 - It should not matter whether you are logged in or not. The "Home" link in the breadcrumbs line... which is where the "Admin" link precedes the "Home" link when logged in... should always point back to the domain root itself. If it isn't, then there is something amiss in function breadcrumbs (locatable by searching the engine file for //BREADCRUMBS).

You can try replacing your existing BREADCRUMBS function with this default sNews 1.6 function as a test to see if it makes a difference.
(Copy your existing one to a safe file for temporary storage first so you have it for later).
Code: [Select]

//BREADCRUMBS - no change from 1.5.31
function breadcrumbs() {
$link = '<a href="'.db('website').'';
if ($_SESSION[db('website').'Logged_In'] == token()) {echo $link.'administration/" title="'.l('administration').'">'.l('administration').'</a> '.l('divider').' ';}
$categorySEF = get_id('category'); $articleSEF = get_id('article'); $home = l('home_sef');
echo (!empty($categorySEF) || $categorySEF == $home || !empty($articleSEF)) ? $link.'" title="'.l('home').'">'.l('home').'</a>' : l('home');
$categoryName = retrieve('name', 'categories', 'seftitle', $categorySEF);
if (!empty($categoryName)) {
echo ' '.l('divider').' '.(!empty($articleSEF) ? $link.$categorySEF.'/" title="'.$categoryName.'">'.$categoryName.'</a>' : $categoryName);
}
$articleTitle = retrieve('title', 'articles', 'seftitle', $articleSEF);
if (!empty($articleTitle)) {echo ' '.l('divider').' '.$articleTitle;}
if (check_category($categorySEF) == true && $categorySEF != $home && $categorySEF != 'administration') {echo ' '.l('divider').' '.l($categorySEF);}
}

2 - If you want to create content (an article) and post it to an already existing category... then you need to click the "Add New" link beside Articles in the main Admin panel. This will give you the new article panel where you create the article. To post it to an existing category... you then scroll down (before submitting the article) and click Customize to expand that panel... pick a category from the Category: dropdown... decide if anything else needs changing in there... then click the "Submit" button.