Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: adding product catalogue to Snews  (Read 3741 times)

harry_ej

adding product catalogue to Snews
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

I'm planning to make a product (catalogue) website that should initially showvcase about 480 products in about 12 categories and 60 sub categories. I don't need the shopping card and paypall solutions cos it is not an e commerce site, just a showcase or catalogue for the various products on offer.

If somebody of you knows a free product catalogue script i can use as a plug in with S news or another option to make the above happen please inform me.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: adding product catalogue to Snews
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »

I believe this could be accomplished with the right mix of sNews 1.6 mods now available. The current (ever-changing) version of my earlier MEMU project generates both pages and/or articles listed by category and sub-category... and assigns templates by page, by category and sub-category. So... it would be a matter of designing a template that is used specifically for catalogue pages. At the very least, you would add Equilni's Category & SubCategory mods, and Bakercad's Switcherizer2 Templates mod to a default sNews 1.6.

I would then create a tag-set generator, available as a new Editor button under the textarea. Click the button and you get a prompt panel asking you to fill in the fields. After filling in the fields - like item image-path and description - It then generates pre-formatted HTML tags that wrap the content you put into the prompt panel fields... and inserts it into the textarea. You would use this for each entry... and you would end up with as many entries on a page as you choose.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

harry_ej

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »

Or better wait until the stable version of Snews 7 is available? If im informed correctly this version enables sub categories for pages and articles? Then i would not have to use the mods as much.

harry

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »

Or better wait until the stable version of Snews 7 is available? If im informed correctly this version enables sub categories for pages and articles? Then i would not have to use the mods as much.

harry

Right you are Harry. sNews 1.7RC2 already has the cat & subcat functions in it... for articles only though (not pages). However, tricking sNews into assigning pages by cat & subcat is not overly difficult. It works great with 1.6 but I haven't yet tried it with 1.7. Creating additional tag-set generator buttons would appear to be done the same way in 1.7 as is done in 1.6.

The final release of 1.7 is not that far off now... but I cannot say exactly when as the Dude(s) working on the final tune-ups are doing it in their free time which... during the peak of summer... usually depends on how many rainy days there are.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

amak

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »

... usually depends on how many rainy days there are.

Immediatly starting to pray for tons of rain ;)
Regards,
Amak

harry_ej

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »

Right you are Harry. sNews 1.7RC2 already has the cat & subcat functions in it... for articles only though (not pages). However, tricking sNews into assigning pages by cat & subcat is not overly difficult. It works great with 1.6 but I haven't yet tried it with 1.7. Creating additional tag-set generator buttons would appear to be done the same way in 1.7 as is done in 1.6.

The final release of 1.7 is not that far off now... but I cannot say exactly when as the Dude(s) working on the final tune-ups are doing it in their free time which... during the peak of summer... usually depends on how many rainy days there are.  ;D

Allright, i indeed need the category and subcategory function for product pages (reproductions, frames, portraits) in my product catalogue and not for articles,(i will not use the article function for creating product pages) so i might as well use 1.6 instead of waiting for 1.7 if 1.7 will not have the option to divide normal pages into category pages and sub categorie pages.

As of yet i don't really know how to use/implement your Mod to be able to enable version 1.6 to divide normal pages into cat & subcat but i'm going to try to get it done, hopefully with your help  ;D

About the tag set generator, i don't really know what it is and how it works since i never used it but it seems to be handy to use for the seperate product pages (sub category pages) who will all be build the same anyway with a photo of the product and description and price options etc.