Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: ELP PLZ horizontal menus  (Read 3611 times)

poosk

ELP PLZ horizontal menus
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

Yes I know updating a html horizontal menu wouldn't be a hard thing to manage but since someone wants to pay for it and waste everyone's time I need to find CMS that can EASILY control horizontal menu as well it's submenus.. Is snews up to any good?

centered

Re: ELP PLZ horizontal menus
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

Yes, 1.7 has subcategories and is ready for horizontal and verticle menus.  Please note it is in Beta state and a stable release is forthcoming.

poosk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:06 PM »

thanks for your help. I'll look into it and wait for the next release. many thanks

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

@ Poosk... This demo site is one example of how a horizontal navigation bar can work in sNews 1.6 using EQ's CAT/Sub-CAT mods. My use of these mods here - to display both articles and pages in categories and sub-categories - requires a combination of several mods and addons, along with a completely re-coded category/subcategory function-set. I've also developed a Categories Only version as well (no subcategory level). The nav bar used in the examples uses pure CSS, no javascript, and is based on one of STu Nicholl's menu-sets.

The only draw-back I have found with this is that there is no way to apply different CSS positioning to categories... such as having most of the the Sub-cat link lists fly-out to the right (as they are there now) and have the Sub-cat lists for the last 2 category drop-downs on the right-end of the nav-bar flying out to the left... as these tend to get hidden... lost out to the right of the screen... when the page is viewed in a smaller viewport size below 900 px in width. As it is, all category drop-down and fly-out sets get the same style controls applied because the functions generating them cannot differentiate between one category and another.

This website... based on a stripped-down sNews 1.6 package that creates Pages Only by Category (no articles system) uses a vertical Categories Only (also CSS, no jscript) menu... where the Category titles expand vertically to show the page text-links. Next, I want to try and combine this approach to the SubCats in the first example site so that the SubCats would expand vertically within the Category drop-downs instead of flying out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:34:07 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU