Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: The Next Step?  (Read 3087 times)

funlw65

• Country Lab
The Next Step?
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:47 AM »

sNews is growing strong. In 1.7 version, the main bottle neck was eliminated - better mysql access.
In next version, pagination for articles and comments (and all related options) in admin area is a big must.

centered

Re: The Next Step?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »

I think with subcategories, subpages and article pagination is the next logical step in progression.  But in the admin area?  Can you provide clarification?

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »

Because mysql access is not an issue anymore, sNews will be used in more and more critical projects (sites with high trafic). Then, another bottle neck will be obvious. Pages in admin area with thousands of articles and comments without pagination, without option of mass delete, etc....Also, articles must be organized by years, like in Archive (in Admin area).

I don`t say is number one priority but is a must (the next step can be anything but this must be included in list).

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »

FunL hits on a good point EQ. It's about managing large volumes of content more efficiently.
Whether its cats/subcats or pages/subpages or a combination of both... it all needs to function well with with a wide range of multi-level content menu formats on the front-end.

In the back-end (admin), it's about cataloging and accessing content links for editing, deleting... and even linking in content. This came to my mind earlier this week while I was modifying Mattonik's Internal Links panel to shorten it up with a hundred or so article and page links. I re-wrote the script to list article and page links (insertable in textarea by clicking) using expandable category/subcategory titles so that expanding a title displays only that cat or subcat link group. It works well, but the panel still gets awful long with 1,000 or more links.

(thinking out loud...) It would be ideal to combine links for editing, deleting, and textarea tag-set inserting all in one panel-set... by category/subcategory... and by (perhaps) alphabetical group.... A, B, C, D, and so on. I've noticed though that the Internal Links Panel load-time increases (as expected) as more and more links are available.... because the function pre-loads everything that's available. Maybe there's a way to pre-load the cat/subcat links only to get the main panel visible... then load the links for a given cat or subcat only when its title is clicked to expand and display its links.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU