Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC  (Read 54004 times)

funlw65

• Country Lab
Re: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »

Sir,
I think he want a one big project, and having each user with his own snews: "which is to give users their own pages" . He is working in Joomla. And I think he already have an index.php, from other "project"....

My thougthts:
- he want to use inside joomla (I know someone doing this :P), or
- he want to simulate multiuser version. or
- a mysterious project ;D

Hi Jalil, which one? ;D

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

Sir,
I think he want a one big project, and having each user with his own snews: "which is to give users their own pages" . He is working in Joomla. And I think he already have an index.php, from other "project"....

My thougthts:

Hi Jalil, which one? ;D

Ahhh... my apology... it was late last nite so I guess I missed that.
His note that - a quick look under the hood tells me the index.php of snews can be of any name, so perhaps all would be fine. - threw me off.

Yes... you can install sNews in several directories within a domain root and have all of their database tables in one sNews database... with the result being several individual "sub-sites". Each will run independently of each other and whatever (Joomla or other CMS) is running in the root.

Sub-site One - sNews file-set in html_public/subone folder, at - domain.com/subone/
        snews dbase tables prefixed as - sub1_articles, sub1-categories, sub1_comments, sub1_settings.

Sub-site Two - sNews file-set in html_public/subtwo folder, at - domain.com/subtwo/
        snews dbase tables prefixed as - sub2_articles, sub2_categories, sub2_comments, sub2_settings.

Sub-site Three - sNews file-set in html_public/subthree folder, at - domain.com/subthree/
        snews dbase tables prefixed as - sub3_articles, sub3_categories, sub3_comments, sub3_settings.

... and so on.

Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

jalil

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »

been awhile, apologies for being silent, i was engrossed deeply into my own project/world, and did not get any notification of replies from this post. :(

and am happy to find this forum and news is not dead, people actually answer my questions ! that is very good indeed.

so a bit about joomla news and progress, and a recap as to why i posted.

i am working on a personal project to allow users to have their own pages, and have done so, only that i am still wrestling with the many editors out there trying to be compatible to all. also i got my own set of bugs to fight and
having to comply to two joomla standards/versions is not easy, that much i can surely tell u !

however, i have succeeded, and will continue to progress and add on features to my app.

now on back to SNEWS,

i am still strongly contemplating to provide users with their own snews pages, even if it is as an option.
i feel that some breed of users may not be happy with mere HTML. they would want complete control of who
access their pages and how they would appear.

the idea is this. what i have now, allows users to make html pages and have their own folders.
but the dream of all users, really, is to have their own 'domain'.
meaning , not a fully paid cpaneled domain, but a directory of site, where they can call their own domain.
thi sis sufficient say for school children, or for small time business people who just control over their own "sites"
without the burden of the huge domains.

certainly they can afford their own domains, that is not the issue. the issue is, they do not have the know how to manager their own domain, and would not waste their time or risk making mistakes handling their own full fledged domain. they would rather settle for something small and mageable but productive. i would recommend so as well.

that said, SNEWS fits it very nicely. i ahve not seen any other appplication/project that comes close to SNEWS in terms of completeness and compactness.

now here the trouble. i am gasping for air having done several thousand lines of codes. they are all necessary, and in fact i have shrunk them and thrown out where and what i feel is fat, and tried to make it as lean as possible.

that leaves me with very little time to test out and debug other apps, i am still not done with my own.

finally here comes the big question... :)

is there anyone here willing to work with me to make this happen ?
this = SNEWS implementable as a standalone add on to any joomla website.

the idea is a small package that plugs in into any joomla website directory and becomes immediately a mini-website
taking advantage of the joomla framework, while at the same time remian independent enough for users to have complete control over their directory/site.

i guess this is directed to the SNEWS debvelopers, but i am open to anyone who can and is wililng to habndle the SNEWS part of the works. i am willing to cross over help one in a while of course, it would perhaps be essential.

above all, i want this to be fun work. if it ain't goint to be fun, i ain't doing it. :)

the project i work on will be GPL, general public licensed, but support isn't free and is quite pricey.
they are intended for large serios users, not kids wanting to impress their mates on their page making capability.

SNEWS, looks to me to be very professional. it is that professionalism which i am hoping can be extended to more users.

adios, have a nice day !

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:42:26 PM by jalil »

jalil

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »

1 - Every website must have a file named index so the server can find it... and the reason for that is that all web servers are pretty much configured to look for index.php... or index.htm... or index.html... before they look for anything else.

true, most hosts configure it like that, however mod-rewrite can easily redirect the index.php to another file.
so it is not really a hassle to perform a renaming of the files.

With sNews... we use the index.php file to do three things:
a)  enable the main "engine" file (snews.php) so that all of its functions are available to power the site,
b)  contain all of the site's template,
c)  and contain the function-names for each of the functions that display their content within the template.

thanks for the explanation, it helps understand the design of SNEWS better.
puttting SNEWS in a directory of its own, with all files intact, would enable one to use SNEWS
as their own 'website'. am i right in saying this ?

However, an index.php file can be configured without the template itself actually being in it. We could start the index.php file by calling the snews.php engine file, then calling a template-header file, a template-content file, and a template-footer file. It could look like this:
Code: [Select]
<?php

include('snews.php');
include(
'header.php');
include(
'content.php');
include(
'footer.php');

?>

beautiful, very clean clear and consise design.
it is in fact superb for xhtml pages.

thanks again, i will make it a point to come here often, just wish i can get notifications from the forum, but if not it will not be too difficult to bookmark it and make it here after a cuppa. c you all later.

jalil

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »

My thougthts:

Hi Jalil, which one? ;D

what so mysterious about a web project  ;D ?

here are the answer for you young inquisitive man...:)

->inside joomla....
no, that would defeat the purpose of using joomla in the first place.
one CMS is enough for one site, no ?
it amounts to what i consider, stupid.

- >he want to simulate multiuser version. or

not to simulate multiuser, but to actually have a multiuser independent site.

you can have one billion users on a joomla site, but they will all be dependend on joomla.

but if you have SNEWS for each and every user, they are all independent of joomla, have access to all joomla
and site services, and yet still have full control of their mini sites.
i would say that would be a pretty good deal, won't you ?

which is why i keep coming back to this idea, which up till now is still pretty much an idea.
and BTW, it is not only Joomla, it applies to Drupal, Word press or whatever else have you out there.

speaking of CMS, i better get started on my own SNEWS site, just to get famliar with it.
and have lots fun !

ciao. don't loose sleep thinking about it man !

centered

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2009, 02:09:52 AM »

jalil, I am so lost in what you are trying to say.  Joomla, sNews, your own project? What are you talking about?

jalil

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2009, 03:50:56 AM »

jalil, I am so lost in what you are trying to say.  Joomla, sNews, your own project? What are you talking about?

if you are refering to the post above, it was in reponse to the guy asking/theorirising what i am going to do with SNEWS
and Joomla.

to answer your question, and if you are referring to my other post asking for a developer to join, i am reffering to a new joint effort. it will be a project, not mine, its just my idea in my head right now, but anyones projects, for anyone who wants to dig in the codes together.

so i am proposing a new joint development effort to make or allow SNEWS to operate inside its own directory ( which from reading the responses to my posts suggest very strongly it can do as is ) plus some kind of hooks, API's or whatever that makes SNEWS 'visible' from the main site CMS.

so it is Joomla, it is SNEWS, and of course i want to be part of it somewhere but i can't do it alone as it is quite involved i think, but it would be fun. so i posted here, hoping some of the original authors and thinkers of SNEWS may wish to pursue this idea.

the idea is to use Joomla as a SNEWS manager, where it is in this sense , the "Content" in the CMS refers to
SNEWS. Users can then have their own sites, the Joomla main site acts merely as directory services to user pages.
Joomla on its own of course can be a website, but that isn't the point here.

If you have say 1000 users, you cannot display each and every page on a single SNEWS platform,
( the would be fighting for control of the site template like kids fighting for the remote :) )
but you can, if you use a bigger CMS, especially at root level, where even files, capacity and permissions can be controlled and distributed, then we are in for some fun. the result is one thousand independent 'sites'.

On the other hand, Joomla can easily dispense each and everyone a page for a thousand users, but the user have no control over acess, statistics, layouts etc etc. The 1000 users all have to have the same template, same layout, and same URL.

so we start with joomla, then we go on drupal, word press etc etc. but i won't jump the gun, so i will confine to joomla first as it is easiest or maybe second easiest.

It is a case of wether the user has a small room in a super large hotel, or large room in a small little home but which you can call your own. there are of course those who can afford to buy up the whole super hotel, but they won't even be reading this.

So my aim is to have the best of both worlds. Why not ?
that is how i see it.

On my part, i am voluntering my codes for interfacing and interworking.
as it is now, it is only me with this crazy idea. but i am hoping
it would be acccepted. if not, its ok too,  i would just put it away.

(  btw i noticed there are some noises about mods ( as in modifcations ). i thinks if SNEWS has an API,
mods will not be an issue as they can utlise API, and eventually become part of SNEWS if suitable. )

If you by now can see my point, i would have gotten somewhere with my clumsy typing, and worth well my tired fingers....:)

thanks for your response and time.
ta.

Joost

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2009, 03:57:04 AM »

not to simulate multiuser, but to actually have a multiuser independent site.......

ciao. don't loose sleep thinking about it man !

I won't loose sleep on it.
Here it is, since 2007
One thing you need to do:
Find function filelist, which is a recursive function, executed by function files (directly above).
Find a way to stop this function from traversing the entire webspace. Make it point to its own upload directory.
Then you're done.

jalil

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

thank you, very nice informative thread.
when i get to it, i will look out for function filelist zapping the whole website :)

myNews

i spent some time playing with sNews yesterday and today. it is very entertaining, kinda like music.
spent some time tinkering with codes, and came up with a solution for IIS or non-mod-rewrite installations.

this is because i installed sNews on an Apache without a mod-rewrite which puts me pretty much in the IIS position.
i got irked ( with myself ) for not being able to login to sNews, as it http server keeps throwing a 404 at me.

so i rolled up my sleeves and here is an finished IIS versios of sNews 17, which i call sNews 17 Windows.
( file sNews1.7_Windows_000.zip )

it is working on my local host fine.
i have not the chance to test it thouroughly, but the basics were working, logins and all menus
*except* rss-articles, am not sure why that menu won't kick in, but i will come back to that later.

for now i just want to share and hope someone can test this IIS or non mod-rewrite version.
i want to roll down my sleeves again and fetch my cigarette, and enjoy my own sNews install.

at least i my local sNews is functional now, yahoo!.

p/s can't atach files to this forum apparently, or maybe i just don't know , meanwhile i will put in on another site and provide the down link in the next post.

jalil

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »

ok, here they are...

sNews1.7_Windows

Small explanation here...
Downloads here...

( note : downloads require registration at the site )

Note : PHP 5 ONLY ( for now )
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:53:05 PM by jalil »

Joost

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

Jalil,

Surely I am not going to register somewhere else to download sNews related scripts. You mentioned having  webspace somewhere. Why not upload it there and create a direct download link?
Work in progress (not ready to go mods), you can post in section "Programming/Mods-in-development"

jalil

« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »

Jalil,
Surely I am not going to register somewhere else to download sNews related scripts. You mentioned having  webspace somewhere. Why not upload it there and create a direct download link?

was meant as temporary download, i was waiting for a prompt from you guys where it should go.
( the file ).

yes, i can put it anywhere on the planet, but i thought you guys have some kind of file collection/listing center
so i was waiting for some kind of prompt. if you guys don't do that or don't have that, it's ok, i will find
a free host and just post the link in this forum.

just that i have not done it like that before, there usually be a place to send it proper.
so my apologies, will put it wherever u think is best.

Work in progress (not ready to go mods), you can post in section "Programming/Mods-in-development"

no thanks, i don't fancy being in mods area. if it's with you ok, i will just hang around the lobby.
lol, it is not work in progress. it is not work !
if you want me to work, you gotta pay me for it.

btw, are the links in the demo text of snews ( the one shipped with snews zip file ) manually made or are they
generated by snews. i guess they must be manually made, as they do not change when i change the site URI.

goodnight, c y all later.

Joost

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »

We do have limited space to upload (zip) files. Right know it is full. I guess we (administrators) have to think about a proper procedure (not randomly) to remove old packages, so new ones can be uploaded.

if you want me to work, you gotta pay me for it.

I didn't say you have to work and I am most certainly not going to pay for it. But right now this discussion takes place in:

Quote from: breadcrumb
sNews Forum > Previous sNews versions > sNews 1.7 RC > sNews 1.7 RC > Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC

Not the place where anyone would look for scripts or discussion about programming ideas.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]