Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC  (Read 54008 times)

invarbrass

• http://snews.extremebittorrent.com
Re: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »

...with the world moving towards CSS sprites for faster web performance...

It is? Sheesh, must've missed that train... ;)
Personally, I'm waiting for the CSS3 train, but (like the Sprite train) it'll be a while ...erm, 7 years maybe... before all the cars are assembled and all Very Important Passengers are on board...

Compressing the CSS is generally a good idea though. I guess time constraints in this particular case lead to us not thinking in those terms -- I know I didn't (it's not second nature to me yet, but I'll try make it so, because as I said, it is a good idea.)

http://alistapart.com/articles/sprites
http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites-what-they-are-why-theyre-cool-and-how-to-use-them/
http://www.fiftyfoureleven.com/weblog/web-development/css/css-sprites-images-optimization

http://www.csssprites.com/
http://spritegen.website-performance.org/

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:13 AM »

I'm still on the platform waiting for the CSS3 train to come along ... rounded corners, dropshadows, text-shadows, border-images (and now, with Webkit thank you very much, gradients on backgrounds and borders*), multiple columns and a whole slew of other equally useless techniques [as sprites] all entirely without images. A lot of CSS3 can be used already, if we choose to ignore IE and --to some extent-- Opera, but, I'm waiting for the CSS3 train to come along.
Sprites I find less interesting, honestly. But hey -- to each his, her or its own.

---
*) http://webkit.org/blog/175/introducing-css-gradients/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:10:59 AM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

khiddemann

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »

BTW, I'm now buried in work, but i will release "sNews unlimited".
Can't find time right now to finish it. Nevertheless, I can create a test-website if you want to see it in action eventually.
It will be based on eq's subcat-1.6 with minor enchancements from 1.7 (only those, which are connected to speed improvement).
I'd be interested in that revamped version of yours.

wackzingo

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2008, 03:24:01 AM »

I agree with most of what Armen said, although I wouldn't have said it the same way.

There are only two major improvements I noticed right away:

1. It's much faster.
2. The ability to add sub-categories is awesome.

What I hate/dislike very much.

1. All the folders are beginning to make things cluttered. There are dozens of open source CMS's available with only a few folders. At this point, the line that separates sNEWS from all the others is starting to get blurry. Keep the added features, but go to a default template that doesn't require images. Let people create their own folder if/when it's needed. Also, put the javascript in the main core file, it's not that much. The performance difference won't be noticeable (Remove white-space if you're worried about it that much). I understand the language folder and CSS because those are absolutely needed; The others aren't.

The thing that has been most like about sNews is the simplicity and bare-boness (if that's a word). I like that it was simple, and as I needed functionality I just came to the forums and added some mods. I think it should stay that way.

Other than those things, it's appears to be a great release.

celebro

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:55 AM »

Hello to all,

I have not been active in these forums for awhile sorry for stepping in but simply reading the forum posts and having a "lite" look over 1.7RC?  I must say I am very worried as to the future snews. There seems to be a broad change in snews without taking into account many required features that need to be implemented into the snews core before any major revision can take place. As quick suggestions (I have not tried the latest January release) I would like to suggest a few things.

1. Multi user's built directly into the core not as a separate fork of snews.
2. Speeding up the core as was done with 1.7RC
3. Proper article sorting (I really liked Bob's implementation better than my own ;-) He beat me to coding it.)
4. A better Categories & Sub-Categories methods
5. Option to pin only certain articles to front page (see #3)
6. Site Statistics?
7. Was the File listing/upload reworked? last I recall it was terribly slow I posted somewhere about it.

Thats it for now I suppose, I will update my projects with the January release over the weekend, and re visit this post

PS: Bob just release 4-um please we waited long enough ;-D
PSSS..... btw, what ever happened to this http://phoorum.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
index.php
snews.php
admin.php
images/
site.css
index_LANG.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voila!! Website done!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »

Quote from: wackzingo
I agree with most of what Armen said, although I wouldn't have said it the same way.
There are only two major improvements I noticed right away:
1. It's much faster.
2. The ability to add sub-categories is awesome.

(Keep It Simple)
1. Keep the added features, but go to a default template that doesn't require images. Let people create their own folder if/when it's needed.
2. Put the javascript in the main core file, it's not that much. The performance difference won't be noticeable.
3. I understand the language folder and CSS because those are absolutely needed; The others aren't.
4. The "most liked" thing about sNews is the simplicity and bare-boness (if that's a word).
    I like that it was simple, and as I needed functionality I just came to the forums and added some mods. I think it should stay that way.
5. Other than those things, it's appears to be a great release.

Thanks for your suggestions Wackzingo... this is what the 1.7RC is about... getting suggestions to help us determine what the eventual release of 1.7 will contain. Your points are well taken.  :)

Quote from: J. Rivera
Hello to all,

I have not been active in these forums for awhile sorry for stepping in but simply reading the forum posts and having a "lite" look over 1.7RC?
 I must say I am very worried as to the future snews... seems to be a broad change in snews without taking into account many required features that need to be implemented into the snews core before any major revision can take place.
As quick suggestions:

1. Multi user's built directly into the core not as a separate fork of snews.
2. Speeding up the core as was done with 1.7RC
3. Proper article sorting (I really liked Bob's implementation better than my own ;-) He beat me to coding it.)
4. A better Categories & Sub-Categories methods
5. Option to pin only certain articles to front page (see #3)
6. Site Statistics?
7. Was the File listing/upload reworked? last I recall it was terribly slow I posted somewhere about it.

PS: Bob just release 4-um please we waited long enough ;-D
PSSS..... btw, what ever happened to this http://phoorum.com/

Welcome Back J... and thanks for the input.
3 - Article Sorting or... as we've referred to it (while working on 1.7RC) Content Reordering for all content types... is actually on our worklist for inclusion in the 1.7 Stable release. However, as you've seen in earlier pages of this topic... the idea of including ANY modifications in 1.7RC at all has struck a sensitive nerve or two for a few of our long-time sNoozers (Armen and Codie to name a couple). The discussion on including Content Reordering still continues... I certainly agree with it.  :)

7 - The default file listing/uploading functions are slowed down by having a lot of folders and files available for viewing in them. In 1.7RC, you can lessen the load significantly by listing folders and files you don't need to view or upload to... in last 4 #SYSTEM VARIABLES strings in the language file(s). That way, only the folders regularly used for uploads will be visible. You can do the same in the 1.6 language variable array as well. Personally... I like having these and the database variables all in one config.php file so that they are all in one location for quick editing.

On Forum projects... Bob's 4-um and the Phoorum projects are not dead... just dormant. A few of the Dudes would like to see work on a Forum project continue... but we would rather stay focused on getting 1.7RC debugged and (eventually) have the 1.7 Stable released in its final form.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:19:38 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2008, 04:10:33 AM »

no matter what you guys do,but, one thing I gotta say is keep the snews package plain and simple.That is what snews make different than the other CMS......i do not want to see snews with 5-6 files...period.... for people who want to see more files go download wordpress,drupal or other cms.......snews start with luka and he got lot of help from great people from this forum.many hours has been spend to accomplish this and now we need to destroy that..i ask you to ask your  self first and think about that...thank you...
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »

no matter what you guys do,but, one thing I gotta say is keep the snews package plain and simple.That is what snews make different than the other CMS......i do not want to see snews with 5-6 files...period.... for people who want to see more files go download wordpress,drupal or other cms.......snews start with luka and he got lot of help from great people from this forum.many hours has been spend to accomplish this and now we need to destroy that..i ask you to ask your  self first and think about that...thank you...

We are thinking about that and some other things too. Thanks for dropping in and keeping tabs on us Sasha.  ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wackzingo

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

I've been thinking about the newest release as I just finished developing a new site using sNews 1.6 and I wanted to make a suggestion.

For the newest release, keep the same template as 1.6 and only make the make the modifications that improve speed and security and maybe 1 or 2 of the most request features. Then take a year or so and see what feedback you get before doing more.

rainb0w

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:31 AM »

Is it also posible in this version to edit the size of the comment box and the size of the edit box in my site while I'm using the "include snews.php" function?? Now if people want to leave an comment to my site the box is only something like 20px width :\

The settings are included in my homepage and they look quite smooth and all very nice :) the auto detect function on RC1 is also rlly an improvement beceause last time it didn't worked for me to give the right variables but now it autodetects its rlly smooth  ;D (must be some hard coding huh?  :o :)) looking forward to RC2 ;)

jalil

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »

hi people,

i came across sNews by accident ( google accident ) and was rather pleasantly surprised at the whole thing.

the original idea of a one file ( one PHP file that is ) cms that does it all is a very good and powerful idea, as it opens up huge possibilities.

i am of the opinion that departing from this, for whatever reason would be defeating the prupose of the existence and perhaps initial vision of sNews. but i understand the rights of developers to go anyway they wish to i have no qualms at all about this.

i just wish to ask if it is alright, to take the 1.6 version and build it up on my own to be a one PHP file cms, which i will make available to the public freely. I have a need for such a tool, and for the moment ( before another google accident ) i am inclined to adopt sNews 1.6. ( or lower, haven't checked it all out ).

Thanks much for your advise and pointers.

p/s i am of the opinion that sNews should aim to grow to be smaller in file size, instead of larger and more files, while adding more functionality. i'll probably be shot for saying this, but yes, i do believe it so.

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »

Hi Jalil,
No one will shot you here for your opinion. Yes, is great to have a little cms with only one file. But in time, the needs grow and you end up with a large file or 2-3 large parts. Because we don't have yet a plug in system. Equilni have one but no one tried it yet, no time... maybe when winter will came ...

Joost

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:47 AM »

p/s i am of the opinion that sNews should aim to grow to be smaller in file size, instead of larger and more files, while adding more functionality. i'll probably be shot for saying this, but yes, i do believe it so.

Yep, around 50, 60kb would be a nice file size. Easier to maintain.

jalil

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »

been quite a while.

i finally managed to steal some time to try snews 1.7, and i must say i am not at all dissapointed !
my hats off to the team who build this, whoever you are.

i am a small time joomla developer, i somehow think snews would fit in very nicely into one of my projects,
which is to give users their own pages.

in fact, with snews, not only do they get their own pages, they also get what,,,,rss, categories, archives, comments.
all that in a puny box. so i am contemplating seriously, tough me not want to jump too quickly.
the only issue i have is that i currently provide index.php.

a quick look under the hood tells me the index.php of snews can be of any name, so perhaps all would be fine.

my oh my, what do you guys drink ( or smoke ) to come up with something like this ?  ;D

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »

1 - The only issue i have is that i currently provide index.php. A quick look under the hood tells me the index.php of snews can be of any name, so perhaps all would be fine.

2 - My oh my, what do you guys drink ( or smoke ) to come up with something like this ?  ;D

1 - Every website must have a file named index so the server can find it... and the reason for that is that all web servers are pretty much configured to look for index.php... or index.htm... or index.html... before they look for anything else. With sNews... we use the index.php file to do three things:
a)  enable the main "engine" file (snews.php) so that all of its functions are available to power the site,
b)  contain all of the site's template,
c)  and contain the function-names for each of the functions that display their content within the template.

However, an index.php file can be configured without the template itself actually being in it. We could start the index.php file by calling the snews.php engine file, then calling a template-header file, a template-content file, and a template-footer file. It could look like this:
Code: [Select]
<?php

include('snews.php');
include(
'header.php');
include(
'content.php');
include(
'footer.php');

?>

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8