Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC  (Read 54062 times)

Joost

Re: Pros & Cons: Changes in sNews 1.7RC
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 04:58:37 AM »

Wow! That is interesting Sasha!. Maybe we should rename some functions in sNews by peoples names that have helped.

Did you notice that there were 22,100,000 'Sasha' entries in Google. There is even one 'Sasha Alexander'

We could rename things like function categories() to function bakercad() or function_db to function codetwist() etc etc

I reserve the right, if this is unamimously approved, to have function populate() named after me. ;D LOL

If we did this then, then there would be something to get personal about.

Hey fellas anyone single? I just thought of a really corny pickup line someone can try. (nothing personal here!) i.e Hi my name is 'JackpRC'. Fancy trying me out?

Anyone interested in function strip() ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:01:37 PM by Keyrocks »

Ken Dahlin

• http://www.kendahlin.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »

Hey fellas anyone single? I just thought of a really corny pickup line someone can try. (nothing personal here!) i.e Hi my name is 'JackpRC'. Fancy trying me out?

If the girl you use that line on understands it, marry her. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:01:52 PM by Keyrocks »

lilspen

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »

(-) "Stock" template is GOD-AWFUL ! Have you even looked at it it after finishing it? It's horrible! And for CSS-styles. Are you kidding me??? IE-specific styles? In such a simple template??? Template for sNews HAS to be as simple as possible! Forget additional CSS styles! This is not funny! Bring back old template before you infuriate the GOD himself. sNews template is just for presentation and this... This is a-w-f-u-l.
I agree.
But instead of ranting about it, give suggestions to improve on it.
Is it the colours that you don't like or the layout?

(-) thumbs.dll file in sNews package. Bravo!
As said before, it was overlooked. It wouldn't be included in the final release of course.

(-) What the hell have you done to the "readme.html" file??? Who did this? Those colors, those margins! Is it now written for aliens or for people witout taste? Repulsive spectacle... And the purple line at the top of the file? So sweet...
It's a read me file. you will read it once, maybe even twice and then you will likely never see it again.
Why do you care so much about THAT?
Of course, if it is such a big problem i'm sure they will change the CSS in the next release.

(-) This:

is awful. Can't you see it? I'm not only talking about margins here. Split them with "|"...
Obviously it was designed under win/linux because it looks fine on them.
It seems Mac users weren't taken under consideration when designing it.
Now that you have drawn attention to it, it will probably be fixed for mac users in the next RC. :D

(-) And moooooore...
What else is there?
How about some more constructive suggestions about it next time. :P

Now I feel included. :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:02:11 PM by Keyrocks »

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 07:11:12 AM »

Hello, everybody!!! Can i start fucking up some things around here  or all is already fucked up ;D  ......PEACE and use your energy to fix bugs no to post stupid things.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:02:45 PM by Keyrocks »
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

jlhaslip

• My snews with AEF Forum site
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »

can a Mod changer the title of this Rant, please.

Looked at the Adress Bar of my machine and it says right there that this is snews...

Code: [Select]
http://localhost/sNews17RC/index.php
Seriously, I think you are being a little harsh here. Release Candidates are what they are.
1 file, 3 files, whatever it takes to improve the software is fine with me.

I'll be going on a seek and destroy mission to hunt a few Bugs and be back.

later...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:03:01 PM by Keyrocks »
Yes! I have no siggy.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

can a Mod changer the title of this Rant, please.
Looked at the Adress Bar of my machine and it says right there that this is snews... http://localhost/sNews17RC/index.php

Your suggestion is a good one.
Armen has been asked politely (on more than one occasion) to edit his original post and has chosen not to respond. He did say he was leaving sNews forever... so the topic title is (most likely) of no interest to him at this point.
I've changed the title.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:03:16 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

Hello, everybody!!! Can i start fucking up some things around here  or all is already fucked up ;D

No... you can't Sasha... but thanks for being so considerate and asking first.  ;D
I think the "Revised Title" on this topic says it all... a place to discuss the pros & cons of the 1.7RC changes.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

TheTick

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »

FYI....this looks like it's being changed & it was noticed within hours of the release.  Instead of form "buttons" they'll be anchors with CSS styling.

That's good. Muuuuch better....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:32:09 PM by Keyrocks »

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »

I think I'm with Bob here... Even though I have strong feelings (calmed down now ;)) about the way Armen expressed himself, I don't think we should cencor his or any other posts unless it contains SPAM, and crap. However not well put Armens choice of title was, it was his choice, and by editing it, we might be concidered, not a democracy, but something else... I vote to change it back.

If nothing else so just to not offer more "wood for the fire", so to speak ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:36:59 PM by Patric Ahlqvist »
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

mosh

• Awesome day :)
    • cms-zen
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

i salute all sNews members for the very restrained responses.
that just show what good people are made of.

for the latest Upgrade sNews17RC:
Fantastic work.

the added files are just natural, i use em all the time hehe,
as i recall Armen was the one that posted about
how snews use less memory while not logged in as admin,
if we move admin functions to admin.php  :P

any way, good direction for sNews

thank you dudes
 8)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »

Thank you, Mosh... I bet the dev team are glad to hear your comments. Much appriciated, I'm sure.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

What about mosh idea? Why not separate administration in admin.php? I know sNews will be 2 files...admin.php can have his own template... suitable for a wysiwyg editor....like wordpress.

mosh

• Awesome day :)
    • cms-zen
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »

Armen Idea :)

i did try it,
and it works great, almost half memory use while not loggedin :)

;D

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »

Your 4-um addon need admin part to be in the same snwes.php? Interesting link to forum: http://4inchorange.com/?action=forum

Dom

• domdelimar.com
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 05:44:10 PM »

Don't yell at me if this has already been discussed somewhere else... I'm guilty of not watching the forum discussions closely for some time...

Few days ago I came up to an open discussion of one OpenSource application - FreeMind. The discussion, titled "FreeMind Future Direction" started with a clear mission statement of one man, who if I'm not mistaken is to become a future leader of the project.

They also have a vision of the original creator, who long left the project and appointed somebody else as a project leader. What I think is important is that they have identified "5 pillars of FreeMind" to which they will stick and basically any change in the application will be tested if it follows these same 5 pillars. If not, I guess it won't be considered for the next release.

Maybe sNews project leaders should come up with a clear mission statement, available to everybody, so that "sNews Dudes" are always on the right track...

I suppose to someone this could seem like something irrelevant but it is really a cornerstone of everything. Without that you're lost and as you turn around you're no longer yourself - you became somebody else.

We all know what the vision of sNews is, right? Or do we really know what are the most important things?
I thought it was one-file CMS, but people suggest it would be better splitting it up. And while I cannot argue the benefits of splitting it up, would it really be that much of an improvement so that we loose the true identity? What will then sNews be known for? (sure, sNews is known for other things as well, but I'm just trying to make a point here)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8