Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Snews Search cloud using Google Coop  (Read 5409 times)

claudek

Snews Search cloud using Google Coop
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »

Hello,

I want to use the Google Coop Custom search engine - http://www.google.com/cse in my Snews site. I have seen a few tag cloud mod being discussed and implemented somewhat.

I wanted to know if anyone knew offhand if such a tag/search cloud can be generated for searches (ie searched words) made with the Google Coop on my site. This way, people can see the most searched for items/keywords - the tag would then take them to the result page generated by Google Coop.

I have been looking for someone who has implemented this and the closest I've seen is a joomla implementation at http://www.greenmaven.com/ (look towards the bottom of the page). I would really prefer not to use Joomla as it would be overkill for the site.

Appreciate your assistance on this...

funlw65

• Country Lab
Re: Snews Search cloud using Google Coop
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »

I prefer to gain more visitors, not to spread them on other sites... I like greenmaven.com, I wanted by example, to see all his articles from electric cars tag... not to go on Google...
But, if this is a Joomla module, we can see the source?

Also, in my opinion, tag cloud is a more complex categorisation, allowing an article to be a member of many related categories...not a search criteria....for this, you have the search field....is not good to mix them....

Well, I looked again, greenmaven.com is a LEECH site !!!  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:18:05 PM by funlw65 »

claudek

Re: Snews Search cloud using Google Coop
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »

The coop search has the q=keyword string which should be able to be captured and a tag cloud formed from the amount of times a particular keyword was searched for (sotred in mySQL I guess) - typical cloud with larger fonts for high searched items

I do not care for the default search as I can have the option to have Google search my site.

The site is not a complicated one and provides a particular bit of information that 2 other sites have (not mine). These sites have a drop down type search and does not allow you to search for keywords on their site (this is because of the type of sites they are, not as a means to disuade such searches)

So, it is possible to incorporate any existing tag cloud mods for this purpose? Can thisbe done at all using sNews?