Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Solved] .htaccess in Windows Vista Ultimate  (Read 14146 times)

H.A.C

• i love snews community for its great members
    • Chasoft Corporation
[Solved] .htaccess in Windows Vista Ultimate
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

Hi everybody,

I've just purchased a new laptop computer with Windows Vista Ultimate installed. And I'm facing to a problem which is so serious to me.... that is... In Windows Vista Ultimate ... the file .htaccess ....
1. I can not see any .htaccess file. When I extract the zip-file... the .htaccess disappear (i mean, i see no .htaccess but I know there is one in the zip-file)
2. when i download my .htaccess from the web... Windows automatically rename to htaccess (without the dot)
3. Without .htaccess... i don't know how to continue developing my own snews site.

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:05:27 PM by H.A.C »
I'm not available ....until the end of the year 2009!
----------------------------
The largest website powered by sNews is in its way to become the biggest!
My great personal website powered by sNews 1.6
http://www.chasoft.net
Come to see how it's great!

henrich

• Passion for quality and excellence!
    • My personal blog and portofolio
Re: [HELP] [Urgent] .htaccess in Windows Vista Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:55:06 AM »

Windows Vista is sux, try Linux Ubuntu.
By(e) Henrich :)
------------------------------
IT related blog

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »

Hi, HAC I'm sorry for your loss ;) and for henrich's way of putting things. I'm also sorry but I can't help you, just wanted to offer the more delicate version of henrich's answer and that is... Vista sux, try Linux Ubuntu ;)

Joke aside, HAC... I really don't know. You don't think it only has to do with what file types Vista shows by default or something ? One other possibility would be to upload the file as is to server and then change the name via FTP... But if your on local install, you've got a problem.... Better go visit a Windows Vista forum to get a real answer, perhaps.... I konw I can't help you, sorry :(

"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

H.A.C

• Chasoft Corporation
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »

Thank you very much for your quick replies. I'll try to find out the answer... for Vista
I've just Install VMware 6. And installed Windows XP. All things done well. But working in a virtual machine is so inconvenience.

Joost

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:48 AM »

A suggestion H.A.C.
My XP won't let me rename a file to .htaccess either, when using notepad. However, Notepad++ can do it for me. Maybe it works on Vista too.

Code: [Select]
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /snews
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
RewriteRule ^(.*) $1 [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?category=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^([a-z_]+)/([^/]+) index.php?category=$1&title=$2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([a-z_]+)/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/ index.php?category=$1&title=$2&commentspage=$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9_-]+)/([0-9]+)/ index.php?category=$1 articlespage=$2 [L]

H.A.C

• Chasoft Corporation
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:44 AM »

Thanks Joost,

Notepad++ is my favorite text editor. We can see .htaccess in XP... so we can use Notepad++ to edit. BUT in my Vista, we see no .htaccess
That's pity to me.

Joost

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »

Make it htaccess.txt, upload/move it to where you need it. After that, rename it. If it is on a remote server, the trick will work. Locally? Who knows.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:49:20 AM »

This is the same problem "normal" Mac OS X users are faced with. There is a trick I used in the early days, before I got my hands on an editor that would let me view "invisble" files (Coda, but there are others) that you could try, but it requires that you can FTP files to your local drive. Now, I don't have a Window$ box so I don't have a clue how this would work (if it does at all) with Vista, but hree's how I would do it back in the day on Mac OS X.

Step 1: Find and enable system preference "FTP sharing" -- this makes it possible to use your normal FTP client to access your hard drive via its IP address or canonical name if one exists.

Step 2: Run your FTP client, go to your hard drive after FTP Sharing (or whatever such a feature could be called in Vista) has been enabled, and browse to the folder where you have sNews installed. Make sure that "show invisible files" (or similar) is enabled in your FTP client, so that hidden files are ... visible.

Step 3: Locate the .htaccess file, open it in your FTP client or if available your text editor, make edits, save file as .htaccess

Step 4: Close the FTP connection with your hard drive, quit the FTP client, go back to system prefs "FTP Sharing" (or whatever the name is...) and disable it.

Done.

Total disclaimer: Don't know if FTP Sharing exists at all in Vista but seeing as Micro$quatters have borrowed a bunch of stuff from Mac OS X and put in Vista (I know, river runs both ways), there is a possibility that the feature is available.

Option: Do what Joost said, then after you saved htaccess.txt as .htaccess on your web server, download that file to your local drive's sNews installation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:51:47 AM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Nicu Alecu

• BLUEBYTE.ro // IT consultant
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

@H.A.C.: it's a security issue; Bill and his team have considered .hta files a security risc for many years now. In XP, if one enables "Show hidden files" in Folder view->View panel, all's well. But Vista proudly braggs about security improvements, which makes me guess they've made .hta files part of the "system files" (and that includes .htaccess), which in Vista are much more hard to access.

Now, I don't have any Vista system on any of my 4 computers ... actually Vista is the reason I switched to Ubuntu one year ago on 3 out of those 4 computers (the fourth is XP), and I would never go back to Bill even if HE paid ME the license price! But back to your problem: if you can find your way around Vista settings and make it display system files, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see it in Windows Explorer and do whatever you want with it just like in XP.

On the other hand, you're definitely not alone in your quest: .htaccess files vista
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:27:04 PM by Nicu Alecu »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »

@ HAC... I have refused to upgrade upgrade from XP to Vista for several other reasons... but this one reinforces my decision to stay with XP as long as I can. In reality... if XP is running stable on your machine... no need to upgrade. All MS Office suite applications - in both 2003 and 2007 versions - still work fine with XP. The only drawback with XP is that once BILL stops supporting it... your installation will stay as it is then. But... hey... that's the way it was with Win98 too... and I didn't upgrade to XP until after a HD crash in late 2005. I still have Win98 running fine on an older, slower machine for 100% offline work... as well as Win95 still running on an old Fujitsu 520T Lifebook.  :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

H.A.C

• Chasoft Corporation
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »

Thank you! And the problem is now fixed in a very simple way.

After several hours trying to find out how to solve my problem. Finally, I got my answer. And now I can live peacefully with my Vista Ultimate. Do all things normally, then use Total Commander to rename htaccess to .htaccess <- this action can not be done with Windows Explorer. And then i can see .htaccess file in Windows Explorer, I now can use Notepad++ to edit .htacess file.

Now my local snews works like a charm.

My configurations:
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- AppServ 2.5.9 (Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2.3, MySQL 5.0.45, phpMyAdmin-2.10.2)
- Total Commander 7.0 32bit version

"Love snews so much for its great community"

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »

That I wouldn't have thought of! I never did like Total Commander, but it looks like has it's benefits  ;)
Glad you found a solution!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »

Thank you! And the problem is now fixed in a very simple way.
Finally, I got my answer. And now I can live peacefully with my Vista Ultimate. Do all things normally, then use Total Commander to rename htaccess to .htaccess
"Love snews so much for its great community"

So... there is a solution... Excellent! Glad you found it.
Q... is "Total Commander" strictly a new Vista OS feature or is it included in XP as well (never heard of it till now)?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

Keyrocks, Total Commander is a file manager for all Windoze flavors; it resembles the look & feel of a tool called Norton Commander, which was used ages ago, under MS-DOS (or DRDOS or other non-GUI OSes), only it has a lot more features (including a powerfull FTP client, if I remeber correctly).

It still has a large number of users (myself not included). I'm sure you can google it if you want a screenshot ...

Joost

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »

Here you can find the shareware program Total Commander
By the way, a FTP client like Filezilla, can probably do it too.
Pages: [1] 2