Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: WordPress trackback feature  (Read 15327 times)

henrich

• Passion for quality and excellence!
    • My personal blog and portofolio
WordPress trackback feature
« on: December 24, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »

I am wondering if have anyone some idea how can be integrated the WordPress trackback feature into the sNews, or how to develop a new trackback feature only for sNews, or even with the possibility to interact with many more blogs like WordPress based, and other blogs.

Can anyone write more about this thing? How it works? What we need? Can we use a 3rd party script? Etc. etc.

I am able also to help if needed, of course where i meet the requirements with my skills.

Thanks  ;D
By(e) Henrich :)
------------------------------
IT related blog

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: WordPress trackback feature
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:27:46 PM »

The first step would be to share with us... just what the WordPress trackback feature is, what it does and how it works.
Most (if not all of us) are not WordPress Literate... we work with sNews (of course) so you'll have to help us out.  :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

henrich

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »

Ok, i will explain.

When used properly, trackbacks and pingbacks are an excellent way to build links and traffic to your blog, as well as building relationships with other bloggers.

The trackback is a way to notify a website when you publish an entry that references it. When you send it a trackback, a link with a short excerpt of your entry will appear on the referenced website.

Picture example: http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/

Of course at the link above you can read more about thing.

A WordPress <-> WordPress trackback looks like this:

http://www.zoso.ro/2007/12/afara.html#comment-129189

I am not a WordPress fan, i mostly start to become a sNews  ;D fan. But i think we should consider trackbacks or pingbacks between sNews sites, and even between sNews and other type of sites or blogs, like WordPress for example.

Maybe a good start point is to read the tutorial above, from that link and also to take a look to the trackback part of the WordPress script. I am also looking, but i am not a very pro programmer, but i don't want to quit never, and i was thinking that here together we can create also this very useful feature for sNews.
IT related blog

henrich

IT related blog

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:59:21 PM »

I think this has been discussed somewhere on the Forums here before... but I cannot remember where at the moment... it might be buried within another topic somewhere. It's Christmas Eve over here in Canada... as you know. And I have some special kids functions to attend to for most of the rest of this evening... once I get dinner over and put my suit on and get out the door.

So... HO HO HO HOLD that thought and explore the Forums by using the Forum Search panel... You might find some information on this topic on your own.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

henrich

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »

Just do what you need to do  ;D, this topic was not opened for a specific member, maybe other dude can help me, there is no problem at all. Before i started the topic i searched "trackback" and "pingback" words and i had no results. Happy Christmas Keyrocks!

Anybody else has anything new to say about this or even an idea how to start develop things related this topic for our beloved sNews? :D
IT related blog

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »

henrich,

The only thing available on this topic is this mod for 1.5 by quaffapint. It should* work in 1.6 as well, haven't tested it outside 1.5 yet though.

As for trackbacks (+pingbacks), yes, that would be a welcome addition to sNews' blog skill-set, imho.
Why not take a stab at modding it? ;)

/*EDIT: Here is what Wordpress call "the official documentation" on pingbacks (there's apparently more than one version, see list of known releases at the top of the doc)

* Usual caveats apply etc.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:46:40 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

henrich

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »

Thanks Fred, interesting topic is that above you show me, i will definitely try it. Slowly we are close, i hope  :D
IT related blog

henrich

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »

I had some attempts but i failed each time to implement such a feature in sNews :(
IT related blog