Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: ARRG! Help (is ARRG a word?)  (Read 5664 times)

TMajred

ARRG! Help (is ARRG a word?)
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:14:41 AM »

:D

Hey folks, just hoping to get some friendly help.  I'm new to the sNews world, so
to cut the extremities short..

Just installed... it went great!
Added catagories... EASY!
Made a test article... WHOOHOO
Installed a template from sNews.... PROBLEM!

So it doesn't look JACK like it displayed on the demo. :'( What's up with that?  I'm
trying a business red template I found on free css template and i wrote the guy
asking him about it. I even downloaded a free template from the front page hoping
it would come  with more instruction, but it lacked that.  I was savvy enough to upload
the css file and the images, but it doesn't give me the 'template look', false
advertisement of hope it seems.

So just needing some help.. wanting to know what I'm doing so so wrong!  :( ???

And for the Dutch:

Probeerde om een mal te installeren. Niet werkt. Alsof niet kijkt welke demo toonde.
Hulp. Alstublieft antwoord terug in het engels. Ik beoefen enkel hier.  :P
Ok, so my dutch might need help.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:48:48 AM by TMajred »

brauck

• http://www.hbw-webdesign.nl/
Re: ARRG! Help (is ARRG a word?)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:48:40 AM »

Hi TMajred

First of all, welcome to our sNews community and have a nice stay here.

About your question, did you explore the help-section? Especially read this section carefully, Iím sure it will put you in the right direction.  ;)
Confidence is reduced complexity.
brauck.nl for free css templates

TMajred

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »

Oh wow, great, thank you very much for the help and the welcome, I'll get to reading
I came back and added a little bit of dutch cause I read on everyone and someone
spoke it..  ;D
thanks!

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • ďI'm a self-made man and worships my creator.Ē
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:47:05 PM »

...so to cut the extremities short...

I'd be very careful of what extremities you do cut here... there are somethings better left alone which could come in use when meeting a partner of which sex it may be... So, cut with causion.

I, too, do welcome you as a mother welcomes her child out of her loins... With a great deal of relieve, but mostly with joy ;) Hope you'®ll like it here, and stay's on...

Read the designers guide carefully, as integrating snews isn't like Joomla (or what I think Joomla is), just a matter of downloading a template hit the "swapbutton" and go. Most designs aren't done souly for sNews but is a plain CSS/XHTML template which you have to tweak some in order to get it to show as intended... There are some site's offering ready to go packs of snews and fully functional designs, but they arer limited, and to tell ya the truth I can't really point you to anyone from the top of my head...

I have made such templates, but really none for 1.6, so you're better of reading that article, and learning something along the way, perhaps... And then you'll end up doing your own designs as that is sooo freaking phunny ;)

Cheers Tmaj.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

TMajred

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:24:53 AM »

Have you ever put melted butter on your eyelids?

Thanks for the advice! ;D

jlhaslip

• My snews with AEF Forum site
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 12:43:53 AM »

ARRG! Help (is ARRG a word?

i think there is an 'H' at the end.

ARRGH! Ahoy, matey.... yup, sounds right...  ;D

Post any problems you are having and someone will assist as required. Good luck with it.
If you know any html/css, the templating is a breeze...
Yes! I have no siggy.

ens

• http://www.meatysite.info
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

Have you ever put melted butter on your eyelids?

Thanks for the advice! ;D
You know, to tell you the truth, I haven't. And I really don't want to, but go ahead if you do...  :D

Come back for help when you need it!

TMajred

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »

I'm getting discouraged with this process. Seems like for the novice this would
have been made simpler so then it would encourage people to learn more about
CSS and blogging, etc.

(not advertising)
www.bonefly.com/test/testindex.php

That's what I have so far. I'm trying to get rid of the bullet points in the "pages" part of the code
as well as correct the font size on the left menu to go along with the "navigation's" look.

When I mouse over the links at the bottom, they highlight a complete shade of red and the links
then are unreadable. *sighs* Maybe it's time to leave this alone for tonight.  If there's any help anyone
can get me, I'm trying over here. theorianscott@gmail.com

Zucye

• Simplemente una Mujer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »

I downloaded one of Lukaís template once (just out of curiosity) and I didnít think it was particularly friendly to be ported to sNews, which seemed kind of weird to me since he created sNews (go figure ;) ).  Now In this section, are some themes that appear to be very easy to use and implement:
http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?board=56.0

I particularly like this one:
http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=5841.0
We can always learn from our failures, not so much from obvious success - C. Robinson (W. Disney). :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »

I'm getting discouraged with this process. Seems like for the novice this would have been made simpler so then it would encourage people to learn more about CSS and blogging, etc.
- I'm trying to get rid of the bullet points in the "pages" part of the code as well as correct the font size on the left menu to go along with the "navigation's" look.
- When I mouse over the links at the bottom, they highlight a complete shade of red and the links then are unreadable. *sighs* Maybe it's time to leave this alone for tonight.
- If there's any help anyone can get me, I'm trying over here. theorianscott@gmail.com
These are CSS styling issues, and your post would be better placed in the CSS Forum.
But... now that we're here... when I first started working with CSS-only (no more tables & cells)... my first step was to build a set of CSS resource links in my browser's favorites list. My second step was to create a "CSS Reference" - a Notepad document with a fairly complete list of CSS style declarations along with short explanations as to what each of them does and how they are (should be) applied. My CSS Reference file has helped me through many, many difficult situations, and I refer to it regularly.  ;)

Check out the CSS (and other) reference pages at the Bravenet Webmaster Resource Center and discover a wealth of information to help you on your journey.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:34:24 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

TMajred

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »

many apologies for me putting these inquiries in the wrong section, but i thank
you so so very much for helping! im eternally greatful, especially for the person who
posted the linsk of the simpler themes to import. thank you thank you. you guys
ROCK!  8) ;D