Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: HTML Validator's tool: a Firefox extension  (Read 13091 times)

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
HTML Validator's tool: a Firefox extension
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:34:11 AM »

HTML Validator is a Mozilla extension that adds HTML validation inside Firefox and Mozilla. The number of errors of a HTML page is seen on the form of  an icon in the status bar when browsing. The details of the errors are seen when looking the HTML source of the page.
Great extension!
This is the link. :cool:

Vasile Rusnac

Re: HTML Validator's tool: a Firefox extension
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »

Indeed, it is a useful tool, I use it with great success : 8)
btw, this page has 15 errors  :P

Joost

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »

Indeed, it is a useful tool, I use it with great success : 8)
btw, this page has 15 errors  :P
Counting html errors is your weak spot, Vasile?  :P ;)

I count 18 (oops I am not logged in) ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:58:57 PM by Joost »

Vasile Rusnac

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

I only started to count errors since my last 2 works, until then I had no idea that my html code might be wrong  8)

it is also true, that until then I was using tables, now, my works are tableless  :P though I still need to learn css, I still make mistakes, luckily the xhtml validator tells me where I screwed it  ;D

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »

I only started to count errors since my last 2 works, until then I had no idea that my html code might be wrong  8)
It is also true, that until then I was using tables, now, my works are tableless  :P though I still need to learn css, I still make mistakes, luckily the xhtml validator tells me where I screwed it  ;D
I was quite comfortable creating both static and dynamic (cms-driven) sites with tables too... until I came into contact with sNews... which forced me to switch to tableless layouts. It amazed me how much duplicate code infests and bloats table-based sites when using WYSIWYG apps like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Leaving tables behind is a challenge, but the freedom gained is worth it.  ;)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:39:23 AM »

I've been using this tool from the first day I started to code xhtml. It seems it has got a lot of features, but all I need is the green button telling me the page validates. I've tried some other addons, but like I said, I only want the green button. :P

Tables? I don't know nothing about no tables. Never used them.

Vasile Rusnac

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »

Indeed, the green button is like an obsession to me,
and it seems like I have a problem with snews. I cant get rid of one error.
please read this post
it does not affect the functionality but I always receive this validation error thus making my pages appear with the red button :(

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Vasile Rusnac
it does not affect the functionality but I always receive this validation error thus making my pages appear with the red button

After a while you learn to ignore warnings and errors that are caused by things outside your control, in this case probably something in your Apache config or php.ini setup. But I agree, that green button is addictive.
(It's available for Safari too with this Tidy plugin which I've used since I started hand coding web sites.)

stephane

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »

This Tidy validator is very useful. But I notice that is validate quit different than W3C Validator.
For example with <div align="center"> you got a green button. But in xtml strict this is depreciated and you got an error in W3C validator.
When I validate my pages I always check (in final) with W3C.

I also use, sometimes, Total Validator in FF. This plugins check also accessibility. Work's fine.

And for checking in local I use Validator S.A.C. works in MacOS X not sure for Windows.

@joost, I think that you use Whizzery text editor in your sNews installation. Did you see about this div align="center" when you select text center in the editor. I try to change it by a span or a style align center to have a strict validating code, but I can't find where this function is in the whizzywig.js file  or in xhtml.js file.
So I think that I will be switching for the last version of TinyMCE that produce valid xtml strict.

Stéphane

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:05 AM »

heheeh I valid my web site with W3C.I doo not use any adons.In firefox adon show some time site has problem but if i do validation check in w3c works fine.I heat adons.Also i use only wordpad for coding (fast way to learn css and xhtml :)
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥