Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Complete idiot needs to know: Is sNews right for my site?  (Read 6753 times)

Gohst

Complete idiot needs to know: Is sNews right for my site?
« on: May 10, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

Hello,

And in advance let me say that when it comes to coding and such, I am a complete idiot. I can write a page, but making it do anything and I'm lost. The website I have now, I don't even know how it really works.

So what I want to do with my site (which is here: mybrain.ej.am) is have it look exactly like it does now. I like how it looks. Its light, easy, simple and its just what I want. So first thing is, I just want to keep it like that. The second thing I want (and why I was recommended here) is the links part on the left... I have to add a new link to each version of each page, each time I make a new page. At first it wasn't a problem but even now I can see that in no time it would take longer to update the links than it would to write the pages!

So, all I want is this: Can the site look exactly as it does right now. and two: Can the links be automatically added to each page, by some sort of automated method, or centralised list?

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I did try to read about sNews before posting and I did read this, but in all honesty it was pretty confusing to me. I thank you all for your time and patience in dealing with a truly simple, simple creature.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »

Hi, and welcome Gohst... I'll just give ya the short answer ;) - Yes !

gotta run now, be back to explain more if noone beat me to it...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:47:55 PM »

Welcome Gohst.
As Patric says... Yes. sNews automates everything and displays it all through one, single HTML template that we re-name as index.php. Then we add the PHP function strings that allow the PHP functions to do their work (interacting with the database tables) and display everything through that index.php file.

As far as the self-assessment of your coding skills... welcome to the club! I was a "complete idiot" (coding-wise)  a couple years ago too. I've been with the sNews project for about a year and I can say... without a doubt... this was the easiest CMS to learn to work with. Sure... it's a challenge... but this Forums community is the most helpful there is anywhere on the web. So jump in and give it your best shot. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »

Hello Gohst and welcome,
first of all, and I hope you won't mind  : I am the complete idiot of the forum and I wouldn't let anybody  to take my place !

Now, as a retarded, I will answer YES to your question.
Why ?
Because I made it !

iatbm

• Public domain photos
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »

Hey I like your design....so simple and so beautiful.... and yes sNews is for you :D

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 05:24:06 AM »

A fellow Melbournian - welcome to sNews!

I enjoyed your book review... SK is one of my fav's too ;)
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Gohst

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the comments and assistance people.

As for payed/unpayed, that's a suggestion that again I'll leave up to you all. Is what I need to do complex enough that it warrants payment? Or is it so minutely routine that the assistor would require funds in order to stoop to my lowly level of need?

Oh, and I forgot to ask... do I need to rename all my pages to .php? Or do they all stay .html (except for index)? Thanks again.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »

Hi, Gohst...

I think it's minutely routine for most "used to snews" snusers ;). Then it comes down to time and effort... Well, I have a couple of paid sites in progress, so I have little or no time at present, but if you're willing to wait, I could perhaps assist ya... If no one else beat me to it... It shouldn't take long...

As for HTML VS. PHP - Yes and no, hehe... you won't be using any other pages but index.php and snews.php as this is it, really... what needs to be done is simply creating a new category (this is your link to the left) and paste the text inside an article and post it in that category... so basiclly there is gonna be a lot of cut&paste...

To answer your question, HTML can't be a part of sNews site as the core engine is written in PHP and needs files that ends with PHP in order to function, HTML just don't cut it.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Gohst

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »

Quote from: Patric
As for HTML VS. PHP - Yes and no, hehe... you won't be using any other pages but index.php and snews.php as this is it, really... what needs to be done is simply creating a new category (this is your link to the left) and paste the text inside an article and post it in that category... so basiclly there is gonna be a lot of cut&paste...

To answer your question, HTML can't be a part of sNews site as the core engine is written in PHP and needs files that ends with PHP in order to function, HTML just don't cut it.
I'll take your word for it.

Gohst

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 03:39:53 PM »

Alright. Here goes nothing. I'll give it a bash. What the heck. I'll let you know if any thing goes wrong.

Got it working.

Unfortunately (and here comes the part where I prove my melon-headedness) I got everything done - struggled with this that, the other; made MySQL things and God know what other assortment of coded miscellanea. However the funny part is, when I go to log in with "test" and "test" - it says "Wrong username and/or password.".

Please tell me this is something common. Also, if its just me being stupid... be kind.

Gohst

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »

Hey everyone. Don't mean to double post, but I've got it working! (didn't think you'd notice if I just edited above)

So yes, crack the champagne and choccies, or what-have-you. Next step is, how do I get it to look like the "old site"? This is what it is now, and you remember what it was before... so... uh... yeah. Keep in mind the site has a static front page and the navigation goes chronologically from oldest first in the list on the left.

Um... what else was I going to ask? Oh yeah, will this mess up my dates? Like the stuff written on, say January 1st... will that now come up as May 12? Or is there a way to back date it?

And one last thing... Thanks!!

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Gohst
Um... what else was I going to ask? Oh yeah, will this mess up my dates? Like the stuff written on, say January 1st... will that now come up as May 12? Or is there a way to back date it?

And one last thing... Thanks!!
You can actually backdate your articles using the
'Publish Date' in the article's propertie... ie, when creating or editing article.

simply put check in the box,
alter the date,
and save.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.