Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: magazine/newspaper management system with sNews  (Read 8555 times)

Ghassem Tofighi

• http://ght.ir
magazine/newspaper management system with sNews
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

As we saw , in any typical cms we have category,subcategory and some another fix elements that we understand a program is cms or not.
I suggest new type of category that I named it Issue. you have seen too many magazines that has too many categories:

News
Politics
science
Information Technology
sport
etc.

when news issue release there is a main problem in thinking how to show this issue. and how to track the archives?! in sNews and to many other typical cms there is no way to relate some articles together to bundle them in one issue. I suggest this type of category,as a super category, that you can bind some articles (with no force on date of article or something else) to an Issue, and use it for your Newspaper/Magazine management system.
Be A Color Pencil For Painting The World !

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »

Quote from: ght
As we saw , in any typical cms we have category,subcategory and some another fix elements that we understand a program is cms or not. I suggest new type of category that I named it Issue.
I suggest this type of category,as a super category, that you can bind some articles (with no force on date of article or something else) to an Issue, and use it for your Newspaper/Magazine management system.
This is an interesting approach. Newspapers traditionally use a volume number for the year (in the publication's life-span) in which the issue is published, and the issue number for the issue within that publication year. As an example, let's say the publication is now in its third year of existence and it publishes one a week... we would identify a single issue as - say - Issue 15, Volume 3, in addition to the dateline itself. Making use of the issue and volume number for a Newspaper or Magazine managment system makes good sense.

We would need to have a few 'cycle' choices. A daily publication would have 365 issues within the volume cycle, a weekly would have 52, and a monthly would have 12.

The next question - mainly for Mika - could this be done fairly easily?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »

I have a question that is not related to this topic.Who is the main Master of sNews?
Mika? Patric?
Can somebody explain me all of persons decide about how change and when release new version?

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »

ght, I'm not sure I understand your question... Are you asking :
A - who decides what changes should be made  ?
B - who decide when to release new version ?

Then the short answer for both is Luka. He decides everything around here, sNews is his baby. The little longer answer for changes made is still Luka, hehe... but he bases his decisions on what others might suggest, think and have onpinions about. And the longer answer for who decides when to release... Ah, well there isn't any long answer for this -It is Luka's decision.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »

or more to the point the new versions are released when they are developed and bug tested, and deemed ready for public consumption by the sNews Dudes crew :cool:
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

jerrilyn

Re: magazine/newspaper management system with sNews
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »

So this topic got hijacked by its originator (starting with a discussion of magazine/newspaper issue functionality and digressing to "who decides what around here?").  But I'm interested in the newspaper/magazine options.  Is this something that could conceivably be implemented in snews?

Thanks,
J

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »

Having wrestled with this problem recently, I'd have to echo what keyrocks said in the beginning (of the thread, before it digressed): interesting approach -- no idea how to do it. Actually, he didn't say the last part. That was me. ;)
It would be nice if one or more of our php gurus could attack this problem, because since sNews is a news-oriented little machine, it'd be nice to be able to use it completely for a magazine-esque site...

One of our stars, Joost, was playing with a mod a while back that would let you set up a site that uses many prefixed tables within one database, using only one snews.php file and one index.php file, and a lot of trickery. It's possible that such a setup could go some way towards acheiving what you want, jerrilyn, but essentially: I don't know how to.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:53:08 PM »

It's interesting to see this thread revived. I don't know why I didn't think about it more at the time. My background in newspaper publishing (1981-2001) should have caused me to explore it further but summer was starting and I was busy getting the old boat ready for a spring cruise... that might have had something to do with it. Come to think of it, Mika never did respond to my query... and he's been too busy at work the last few months to visit here much.  :)

I think sNews could easily be made to run a newspaper or magazine-type site. It's just a matter of planning the project before executing. Start with a static template, same as you would with any static site... build the index.html file (and its CSS & images) to get the site looking as you would like it to look. The next step is to "port" a copy of your master template to run as the sNews index.php file... replacing all the static content components with the sNews generated bits... and go from there. Make extra copies (for safe keeping) each step of the way... and make your mods... test run... etc. Installing a localhost server environment on your 'Puter will make the whole process easier... so you can do all your development work on your 'Puter and have your package completed and tested before going online.

BINGO - ( a light flashed on over key's head after posting the above... )
I have Ruimendes' Multiple Category Positions mod running well in a new version of my MEMU package. This allows creation of any number of Category Groups... to post categorys in (and articles under the categories). I would use this mod (or a package that includes it) for this. Let's say we were doing a monthly magazine. I would create static headers for each Volume (year), then put a category group under it. Each category created would be a month (January, February, etc). and then I would post the articles by month (category).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:01:02 PM by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »

Thanks Keyrocks , If I had time I did that and release to the forum, but I did that in different way:

look @ these url examples:
http://somesite.com/2007/1/2/webdesign/snews-cms-a-proffesional-cms
http://somesite.com/2007/1/2/webdesign/snews-cms-a-proffesional-cms
http://somesite.com/issue1/webdesign/snews-cms-a-proffesional-cms

I have this roadmap:

Add a calendar (like wordpress)
Change .htaccess (when see numbers or "issue" @ the first of uri,relate it to date/issue)
Change get_id() function  too get date/issue from uri
Add a new context of issue, create a table in sNews database with name of Issue,with this fields:
id - issue number - issue name - date
Add "create/show issue" in admin panel (like category)
Add a filed in Article to assign an article to an issue (and a foreign key to database for article table)
and...

I want God to give me or a good friend some time to do that for all sNews Lovers ! ;)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »

I want God to give me or a good friend some time to do that for all sNews Lovers ! ;)
In the off-chance that God doesn't get around to it... why not do it now?  ;D

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

I didn't have time indeed , I know It is a good practice to do such work, but now I'm in military services and I can't do that, I think I show the way, but If some one have good idea about that he is welcome to say it here, may there is better ways that I didn't think it before

centered

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »

I love this idea, really.  Looking at alistapart.com I think it can totally be done.  Articles can be assigned a issue via select drop down to assign a already used issue or create a new issue.  Then only show that issue in center via sql call. Modify archives to show issues as well.

I am working on something very similar to this idea... hence why I brought this up