Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1.4 Flat database  (Read 9241 times)

centered

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 06:13:34 AM »

agent, can you transfer domains?

manfred

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
Today, there is no interest (from its developers) in creating a textdb version of 1.5.31 as there is no real practical need for it. All competitive web hosts offer packages on Linux servers with MySQL database support, at very low cost... some even for free.
Hi keyrocks,

I understand your point of view, but many free hosts, business hosts, university hosts etc. donīt offer a mysql databank to their members -> they often just offer 10mb webspace, php and thatīs it. So many interested user canīt use your excellent system, because of their situation. Therefore you exclude many users. Because of the small and efficient sNews it would be an advantage if it also ran without a mysql db -> it would be far more independent from webhosts and their configurations.

Quote from: keyrocks
So the only way it will ever happen is if a current user takes it on as a personal project. :)
Unfortunately, my php skills are too low to manage this. I would do it, otherwise, with pleasure.

But thanks for your attention!

cu,manfred

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

"Centered" has been working on a 1.5.31 textdb version here but needs some more 'team members' with php skills to help him take it further.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »

@centered: yeah, of course. It's just a matter of changing the nameserver, once you have the account set up. It can take up to 72hrs for the nameserver change to propagate across the interWeb, as the boffins likes to point out, just so you know. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss this further. ;)

centered

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

agent,  let me email you next week on this.

key, thanks for the call out, I appreciate it.  text-db has helped me on a few occasions, so why not give back!
Pages: 1 [2]