Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1.4 Flat database  (Read 9274 times)

Simon Whittaker

• http://Lanonet.se
1.4 Flat database
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »

I would like to have a flat database as opposed to the sql one required for sNews 1.5. As I understand it the 1.4 text db was a MOD and not made as an official release. I don't suppose we can expect a 1.5 text db then. So I look again at 1.4.

I note that the 1.4 version is no longer downloadable - but I have one from an earlier download. I can still use that one. My questions then are as follows:

1. Version 1.5 had some problems with hacking. Is there a problem with hacking into 1.4 or is the code so different that it is not affected?

2. Is anybody still using 1.4? If I have any problems can I still ask for some help?

Simon

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:18:09 AM »

1.  1.4 is nor vulnerable to the attacks experienced in 1.5.

2.  I assume some people still prefer 1.4.  Feel free to ask for assistance in the relevent forum if you require it.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

centered

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:39:19 AM »

I still use 1.4 mysql and textdb (when the job calls for it).  Nothing wrong with it.

To be honest, I started to convert 1.5 to a textdb but I got stuck at with a query call in the Smart Retrieve Function

// SMART RETRIEVE FUNCTION
function retrieve($column, $table, $field, $value) {
   $query = "SELECT $column FROM ".db('prefix')."$table WHERE $field = '$value'";
   $result = $db->query($query);
   while ($r = $result->fetch_array()) {$retrieve = $r[$column];}
   return $retrieve;
}

I thought it would be a simple copy and paste.  Oh well,  for being a PHP newbie.

I even made the databases by hand thinking it would solve the problem!  

*to anyone else inquiring*
No I will not finish this at all. I do not know much PHP to full understand problems and solutions.

And its built off the 1.5.30 core anyway

mike1

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:39:12 AM »

i believe i read somewhere that 1.4 was vulnerable to XSS cross site attacks due to the search field not being sanitized (this was when information about the 1.5.29 & 1.5.30 vulnerability came out, so im going strictly off of memory)

centered

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:19:29 AM »

oh great, guess I am upgrading.... :D

Simon Whittaker

• http://Lanonet.se
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:43:47 AM »

Thanks guys for the quick response to my question. :)

Now the question is whether the 1.4 text db download I got earlier is secure.
I couldn't find any fix for the supposed problem. Is there a problem?

S.

mike1

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »

theres no fix as 1.4 isnt being developed anymore.  for more info on the velnerability, google "snews 1.4 xss".  I looked again yesterday and most sites had the threat ranking as low to mild.

manfred

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

Hello,

first of all congratulations to this excellent system - it is simple, efficient and technically moulder.

But! Why you donīt offer a version based on a text database? Then it would be substantially more often applicable. Perhaps, one can realise similar like with CMSimple (http://www.cmsimple.dk) where all texts are stored in a HTML - page. Then I think much more people would use this great system.

For the V1.4 there is already a text database, but not for the actual version (1.5.31).

It would be fantastic if similar would be realised for the actual version.

cu, manfred

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

@manfred...
the 1.4 text_db version was developed by a user, (not the snews founders), and made available to everyone.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »

@manfred - You can download a good copy of the sNews 1.4 text db version here if you'd like to try it out.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

manfred

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »

Hello,

thank you for the answer. As I already mentioned, however, I know the version 1.4 with text data bank. I remembered rather that a (standardised) textversion should be offered by the official developers in the future to increase the customer circle.

You understand, what I mean?  ;)

btw: I also thought that the textversion 1.4 is not secure enough (read some posts in this forum about that).

cu, manfred

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »

Yes, I understand what you mean. I haven't seen any serious security issues with 1.4 MySQL version since April 2006 and I have several sites using for almost a year with no security issues. As for the textdb version, I have never used it online as I've had no use for it.

Again, the 1.4 textdb version was created by an sNews user over a year ago and he hasn't been around on these forums for some time. It was not an official version of sNews. Today, there is no interest (from its developers) in creating a textdb version of 1.5.31 as there is no real practical need for it. All competitive web hosts offer packages on Linux servers with MySQL database support, at very low cost... some even for free. So the only way it will ever happen is if a current user takes it on as a personal project. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

centered

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

Keyrocks,

Which hosts are you referring to which are low cost?  My hosting is $9 a month with a Mysql database.  Without, I pay $4 and can upgrade to PHP5 (for an sqlite db), which is why I needed the txt-db version at the time.

I you know of low cost hosting (US, please) with Mysql I will gladly transfer

mike1

1.4 Flat database
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 02:20:59 AM »

bluehost for $7/month with a free domain.  check out their features.  I use them and I'm quite happy.  others use different providers and will probably soon post.

Note: I dont have any financial interest in the provider above.........though I wish  did   :D

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
1.4 Flat database
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 02:33:54 AM »

have-host. Single-site with "everything the body needs" for USD 6/month or USD 66/year, multi-site (play host yourself! :D) for USD 13/month or USD 143/year. Yes, they really do have everything you need -- lots of space, lots of bandwidth, Fantastico cPanel, Ruby, unlimited email accounts, subdomains, ftp accounts and SQL db's. MySQL/PHP of course. 99.5% uptime. I have all my sites living happily there. And yes, I do have a vested interest in them since have-host is run by my business associate, but I'd recommend them anyway, especially after the server upgrade last month. ;)
Pages: [1] 2