Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: split snews , more customizable ,install mods easier  (Read 19183 times)

Ghassem Tofighi

• http://ght.ir
split snews , more customizable ,install mods easier
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 02:36:03 AM »

ok, may I ask sombody,some hero , to release splitted modular sNews after every release?
I'm working to add a function that is named : language-switcher for switching between languages instantly.because I like to have a cms in 2 language(every post has more sections for translation).
another work is get-mod function,that is like wordpres has a plugin manager.
is there anybody intrested to make every time more modular cms and split it?
if there is ,let discuss about how split it ;)
Be A Color Pencil For Painting The World !

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 03:21:58 AM »

Quote from: ght
anyway I suggest more informations about next release. and a tracking system like trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) that is merged with svn. in this situation we understand how and which sections of code is changed to update ourself easier.
Thanks
Actually these very things are being discussed right now with the sNews Dudes.  I'm all for implementing such things that will assist us all in keeping track of changes to the code etc.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

codetwist

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

ok, may I ask sombody,some hero , to release splitted modular sNews after every release?
I'm working to add a function that is named : language-switcher for switching between languages instantly.because I like to have a cms in 2 language(every post has more sections for translation).
another work is get-mod function,that is like wordpres has a plugin manager.
is there anybody intrested to make every time more modular cms and split it?
if there is ,let discuss about how split it ;)
Well, I don't see much difference if as keyrocks pointed out that some mods require changes in dozen places and plain technical splitting into separate files will definitely not improve this aspect. Unfortunately :/ Due to this I've not used downloadable 1.5.31 code as such except for tests, I simply applied selected changes that fitted already moded and a little splitted code of 1.5.30 (with separated language support files, mods added separately when possible, common stuff libraries).

centered

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »

Why not make it modular yourself?

You posed a great idea that kept me from staying with 1.4, that I have changed my mind (well because of security reasoning and the pages).  

Say I take this mod (which is second atm in the mods section) http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3399
What I usually do is add a comment on the top what mod, and where I got it from

But with a mod like http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2877
Why not uncomment the original code and add a seperate function call (in a seperate file) in snews?

Like so(using hte above mod as reference
session_start();
include ("snews.php");
include ("language.php");
?>

I would assume it should work :/

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 01:02:18 AM »

Dear Centered
I did that job. I did for version 1.530 and after release of 1.531 , I must repeat all task I did before,plus I see new functions that was not in 1.530 and I afraid to do any works because I know someday there will come version 1.540 and ...!
the main Idea is a better system,sNews is very powerful,very fast and very customizable.but If you work for yourself alone. every projects that is based on any open source project fails If you work alone.it's because of sole of open source projects.
I know a very good teem is behind sNews . I know If I write a mod for sNews I must say :"warning this mod is only for version #"...updating is more harder to do....writing based on a backward compatible project make a sense of "1 time for ever!", but when there is a project that is changed time to time completely,I think it's waste of time to write a mod that is died after some days...
this is the main problem that I believe sNews must be compose of multiple files instead of one file.I'm not decider of sNews project but after all of above conversations I didn't recognize why one file is more easy to use instead of for example 3 folder and 20 file   :P  all process is same like copy and paste!
Anyway I like sNews as is! It's suggestion sections and there is to many experts here for commenting and suggesting.I said what in my mind  ;)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 01:29:41 AM »

I did that job. I did for version 1.530 and after release of 1.531 , I must repeat all task I did before,plus I see new functions that was not in 1.530 and I afraid to do any works because I know someday there will come version 1.540 and ...!
I know If I write a mod for sNews I must say :"warning this mod is only for version #"...updating is more harder to do....writing based on a backward compatible project make a sense of "1 time for ever!", but when there is a project that is changed time to time completely,I think it's waste of time to write a mod that is died after some days...
You have pointed out the very reasons why no one else has broken sNews into several folders and files. Because sNews is constantly evolving, it is much easier to accomplish with everything in the one snews.php file. We're glad to hear that you like it "as it is!" We (sNews Dudes) do too! :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

centered

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 02:30:10 AM »

I didn't say I didn't like sNew as it is, I was giving a suggestion.

Joost

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 02:31:25 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
I know If I write a mod for sNews I must say :"warning this mod is only for version #"...updating is more harder to do....writing based on a backward compatible project make a sense of "1 time for ever!", but when there is a project that is changed time to time completely,I think it's waste of time to write a mod that is died after some days...
You have pointed out the very reasons why no one else has broken sNews into several folders and files. Because sNews is constantly evolving, it is much easier to accomplish with everything in the one snews.php file. We're glad to hear that you like it "as it is!" We (sNews Dudes) do too! :)
I am no programmer, but as I see it, the release of 1.531 was an emergency release. Priority was to close all security holes, without breaking the basic functionality (a lot of functionality, that is!!!).  I expect/suspect  the next version will be a cleaned up code (bugfixes, redundant code removed). There will come a time when there will  be no huge changes in sNews (but before, I want a jacuzzi  implemented).
And remember, when a version is save to use and it works at your convenience, you don't have to upgrade.
 :)

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »

I think perhaps some are losing sight of what sNews was designed for.. and indeed what MODs are for.

Remember, sNews is a simple CMS.  Many people use it for this very reason.  And many people never add any MODs!

centered

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 03:24:04 AM »

Actually I believe there *could* be a way to *simply* add MODs.  Thats all what the original poster requested.  I wouldn't think it would be a *bad* idea

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 03:33:25 AM »

Well if you know of a way, by all means share it with us.

The way sNews stands at the moment, I for one cannot see a way sNews have MODs simply added as plugins or the like without extensive rewriting of the core.

Joost

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 03:46:22 AM »

Quote from: piXelatedEmpire
I think perhaps some are losing sight of what sNews was designed for.. and indeed what MODs are for.

Remember, sNews is a simple CMS.  Many people use it for this very reason.  And many people never add any MODs!
Better said:  many people never need any MODs!
Occasionally I even disable built-in functionality, to make it easier on the end-user, the editor. Skilled persons always want to add more and more features. But we have to think about the end-user. It is a perfect tool for small businesses, who want to let the customers know what times they are open, what they offer and how to reach them. Nothing more needed.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 04:01:59 AM »

This whole thread seems to be a quite clear illustration of the many different ways sNews is used. That in itself makes it more difficult, at least as I see it, to maintain a fully modularized sNews. I just finished a new sNews-driven site with my business partner, who had never used sNews before and now can't keep his hands offa it, where the demands for features were beyond the limits of the default engine. I had to add some mods that I'd never used before and integrate static content in ways that I hadn't practised on any of my previous sNews sites ... Even if it's possible that the majority of our end users and clients only use the system for very simple dynamic sites, occasionally (and for some quite often) you have to be able to flex the muscles. So nothing's set in stone with this little CMS. It can be what you want it to be. A fully modularized system might not be so flexible. And I've worked with MODx, which in many ways is akin to sNews, but because of its heavy modularization is much more difficult to swing around on a penny. To coin a phrase.
I've lost track of the point I was trying to make... :lol:
Oh yeah, we are many. Our ways of using sNews differ greatly and so do our requirements. Let's keep it simple, shall we? (And anyone wanting to modularize sNews is obviously free to do so, to his/her/its heart's content.)

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »

Quote from: agentsmith
I just finished a new sNews-driven site
Might wana take a peek at that site in IE6:

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »

Quote from: piXelatedEmpire
Well if you know of a way, by all means share it with us.

The way sNews stands at the moment, I for one cannot see a way sNews have MODs simply added as plugins or the like without extensive rewriting of the core.
I think we can have a function that include all standard mods inside a folder and a mod manager (enable/disable),for example I add 2 types of captcha in my project.Image captcha and math captcha.math was a basic function but I add in settings menu to choose the function (image or math) and I used a row in settings  table to do that.after all of them I was sad :(... I know if I wanted to share my work I must hack the main sNews engine and say instruction.but if functions was in another file...!
I don't know,there is no need more discuss, I must accept and work alone.sNews is the basic of my works and I must Improve it and change it how I want,And I must forget the newer versions.I can only get idea from changes of project. I think I must start another oprn source project for example mNews :D ... It will be modular, function to get modes and include them and ... :D , wait for mNews :)) (I'm just kidding I have not enough time)
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3