Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: split snews , more customizable ,install mods easier  (Read 19238 times)

Ghassem Tofighi

• http://ght.ir
split snews , more customizable ,install mods easier
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »

I have a problem with snews! why you maintain this beautiful code in one file? when I want to change main code to get my desired cms, I have a lot of problems. when you will update your codes I will have a lot of problems to be up2date!
I want to ask a question. Why you think a one file code is better than 5 file codes with more abilities?

then I vote to split functions,languages and...

another thing is mods. All of you have seen wordpress and its powerful plugins. it's really easy to add a function to grab modes from an optional directory.
why you patch (or hack) the codes? I think the most important things for snews to explode the web as wordpress did, is a mod manager function! I have no time to do that but it is easy and we can get idea from wordpress.

Thanks
Be A Color Pencil For Painting The World !

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:11:08 AM »

Well, firstly, sNews is not Wordpress, nor do we ever want it to be.  Wordpress, while basically easy to use, is a very bloated CMS IMHO.

sNews has been designed for simplicity.  That's why the code is kept in one single file.  The purpose of sNews is to provide developers with a simple, easy to understand and modify core on which to build a website.  Wordpress is a simple install and away you go CMS.  sNews has been created with the developer in mind - allowing you to customise your website in many ways.

sNews will never be another Wordpress 'clone'.

Creating a Mod manager or plugin function would require a major rewrite in the code and sNews would be moving away from its original purpose.  At this stage, I don't believe this is what the developers are looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:10:29 PM »

Dear piXelatedEmpire, I didn't want to compare wordpress by snews. If you ask my min, for my purposes snews is realy great,I can add some codes and I will give my cms.
The core is very good,but when I change snews version 1.530 ,and some days later you release version 1.531, I can't easily get my last version! it's my problem .
I think the main release is most important.moders always work on the last core.
I believe you can split snews (or some new version of it) to some files:
snews.php
configs.php
functions.php
and use include functions. I don't know how other programmers think.
I saw some days ago snews MU in mod section, I think this is a mod but it was a new version of snews. then I can't use it easily in my cms.I must read too many codes use a editor to compare changes and then I can port this ability to my cms.

I was searching for a nice cms for too many years because I was not a professional php programmer and I wanted to learn how to design a cms. your cms is a very light cms,powerful,and a very good tutorial for me.
my main problem is updating to new version and use your last codes.

when I change the core code, it will be impossible (or very hard).what you offer me to deal with about this issue?

codetwist

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »

Well .. it more or less depends on Yours php coding skills. Primary idea behind snews is to have it's php code as single file and that's it.
So, You need modular code - just split it up as needed ;) Need extensions a lot - just refactor code chunks that are making adding simple changes plain PIA. With commented developer version available from Mika this shouldn't be unsurmountable task.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »

Codetwist is right. If you want to have a modular sNews cms, then it would be up to you to make it that way to suit your needs. You take sNews as it comes and you do what you want with it.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Phil

• http://www.ckt.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 10:28:02 PM »

I think sNews would benefit from a better mod implementation system.  Yes, using a single core file is great, but it makes maintaining and installing mods very tedious.  Someone needs to make a mod plug-in mod.  ;)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »

Well... there is no doubt that a CMS with a mod implementation system would certainly be easier to add mods (modules) to... for those who do not wish to be developers. In this case, sNews is a single file CMS, in that all of its functions are in the one snews.php file. And that is the way the lead developers of sNews want to keep it.

In its current form, sNews is not suited to working with a 'modular' module (mod adding) system. Making sNews 'modular' would be a huge task. It would require a complete re-write of most, if not all, of its functions and... at the same time... breaking them down into many, many smaller files in several directories. That would make it an entirely different CMS. It would defeat the purpose of sNews. It would no longer be... sNews.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »

That's it really... sNews in not going that way. Period. Wanting modadding mod is most likely not going to happen, and the re-writing of sNews to actually head that way is not going to happen... All we can do is to provide as much help on modding in the forums as possible, that is write easy to-understand-instructions, and take it from there... If persons want a CMS containing this feature, there is but one solution - Choose a not as good CMS ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:43 AM »

Ok, Another question...what is roadmap of snews? I know snews from version 1.4,after some I saw version 1.5 and ...
the one file is going to be huge! I don't know ... maybe it is better. what is snews in next 10 years?
A 15 MB one file ?
anyway I suggest more informations about next release. and a tracking system like trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) that is merged with svn. in this situation we understand how and which sections of code is changed to update ourself easier.
Thanks

codetwist

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »

Yes, knowing roadmap would be useful.

Any comments on this one, Developers & Dudes?

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:01 AM »

sNews dudes are currently discussing these matters, as they too see the need for a better maintained updating of the script, for easier use by endusers... Believe it or not but they too do have issues with it the way it is right now ;)

Thing is, we keep nagging about this, not one of the coding-dudes are doing this as a job, which makes it difficult to manage in the same manner as a professional developing team would. All coding-dudes do this in sparetime, and when one find time away from kids and wife's, hehe... and believe you me, that is presious time which also is used for recreation purposes, which means, they do not always work on sNews. Even though many would like them too.

But as said, there are ongoing disussions regarding the future handling of sNews, it's updates, and it's development, but they're not concluded just yet, so when time comes and a descision is made the boards will know, of course...

So yet again, please be patient, and changes on this will emerge
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »

Thanks Patric, I'm a newcomer  in forum, but I read your articles.I create a page in http://wikipedia.com to explain the sNews... but I didn't know so much about the coding-dudes and .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNews_cms

I only start just by copy and paste some contents of main page. please write more about sNews there :)

Ghassem Tofighi

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »

I don't know why, a wikipedia administrator delete my article in wiki :(

Phil

• http://www.ckt.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »

Perhaps there could be two versions of sNews, a single file version and multi-file version.  The only reason I suggest this and as a previous poster mentioned, keeping sNews in a single file is only going to grow more and more complicated as new features are added.  It's the nature of the beast is why these projects are broken up into more maintainable segments.  Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »

All that we've said in the previous posts does not mean that sNews cannot become a more modular cms in its design... just that the original, authentic sNews supported by those of us here will remain a single file cms. And... yes... that snews.php file may well grow over the next 5 to 10 years. I've seen some PHP files with 8,000 to 10,000 lines of active code and they peform well... so the news.php file has room to grow.

So... anyone can take the current snews.php file and break it down into as many files as one might want. In fact, you could put each function in its own file... and group the new files in several folders... and so on. You would then have to include file in each other... and so on... so they would all work seamlessly. But I think the end result would be less efficient when it comes to modding. Several of the most useful mods we have now require additions and alternations to several functions... sometimes up to 12 or 14 or more. It is much easier to work with them all in one file than if they were spread out in several files.
Pages: [1] 2 3