Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sNews and Duplicate Content  (Read 13270 times)

ki11

sNews and Duplicate Content
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:50:29 PM »

I just wanted to know, if you care about duplicate content.

The standard sNews produces a lot of duplicate content I think. There articles are accessible through the category, through pagination inside the category and through their sef.

Therefore I changed my Navigation to the sitemap and tweaked it a little bit. I made the Categories non-clickable so the articles should only be accessible via their sef. Should help I hope.

Any other ideas to make sNews more searchengine friendly?

Joost

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:07:46 PM »

Quote from: ki11
I just wanted to know, if you care about duplicate content.

The standard sNews produces a lot of duplicate content I think. There articles are accessible through the category, through pagination inside the category and through their sef.

Therefore I changed my Navigation to the sitemap and tweaked it a little bit. I made the Categories non-clickable so the articles should only be accessible via their sef. Should help I hope.

Any other ideas to make sNews more searchengine friendly?
There is no duplicate content. The fact, that you can access the content through different links, doesn't make it duplicated, unless it is located on different url's. I don't think that is the case. Only snippets of content  can be found on different locations.

ki11

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Joost
There is no duplicate content. The fact, that you can access the content through different links, doesn't make it duplicated, unless it is located on different url's.
A different link means a different URL.  A search engine can't decide which link take as the original, so you produce duplicate content.

Mika

• http://www.ni5ni6.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »

The fact, that you can access the content through different links, doesn't make it duplicated, unless it is located on different url's.
Word! ;)

In fact, you're able to navigate via several directions (categories listing, archive listing, search listing etc..) and still fetch the contents by following one single unique URL constructed as domain/unique-category-SEF/unique-article-SEF/. The engine itself prohibits the usage of non-unique category and article names.

Why don't you post a link of your site so we could examine that duplicated contents issue of yours?
http://www.ni5ni6.com/ - Tutorials, Mods and How-To's about sNews CMS
sNews 1.6 Developers Edition - commented sNews 1.6 version

codetwist

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

There is one side-effect with the way how sNews handle article URL-s.

For example, if proper url for article is 'domain/unique-category-SEF/unique-article-SEF/' then all of following urls will display it as well:
 - domain/home/unique-article-SEF/
 - domain//unique-article-SEF/
 - domain/blah/unique-article-SEF/

Basically any string will do for category SEF, including unrelated existing categories.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »

there's an added twist (no pun intended) to article urls: Pages.
Pages are noted as articles, so the url to any unique Page is always mydomain/home/mypage/
It would be nice to have it mydomain/mypage/ by default. And even nicer if Pages were made separate from Articles, as a top level item, with the possibility to attach one or more category to them...
(I can dream, can't I? :) )
But that's for a whole 'nother topic, I know.

ki11

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:54:07 PM »

Your content is at least accessible through

domain/category-SEF/

and

domain/category-SEF/article-SEF

And both of these links are used. The category link on the front page and the article link in the sitemap. It's two different urls, so it's duplicate content in my opinion.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:45 AM »

that can't be url duplication, imho.
mydomain/cat-sef points to the category index. If you have more than one article in any given category, they will all be listed there.
mydomain/cat-sef/article-sef on the other hand points to one specific article.
as was said before, there are many ways leading to the same place, but no single place (ehm ... exception below) is duplicated. And many ways of getting to one place can only be good. Look at how popular Rome is... ;)

The only real duplication going on, as I see it, is Home. Home is treated both as a category and a page. That can be seen as a form of duplication, or wires crossed, perhaps. Personally I'd love to see Home just being a page, so I will typically remove it from the category list. But that's me -- others may see it differently.

ki11

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »

domain/category-SEF/ is not the same destination as domain/category-SEF/article-SEF as you already mentioned. So it's not two ways to Rome, but one way to Rome and one to Venice. Only that in our case the cities are equal ...

Joost

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:27:36 AM »

there is some truth in what ki11 says: When there no more then one article on the categoy index,  no comment  is added, it could be considered duplicated content. For each category, there can be only one duplicate page/content. However, Google won't punish you for having some duplicate content on your site. If that is what you (ki11)  referring to, I wouldn't bother.

ki11

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »

there is some truth in what ki11 says: When there no more then one article on the categoy index,  no comment  is added, it could be considered duplicated content. For each category, there can be only one duplicate page/content. However, Google won't punish you for having some duplicate content on your site. If that is what you (ki11)  referring to, I wouldn't bother.
Almost. It doesn't matter how many articles in the category are shown. If there are two articles you created 50% duplicate content which doesn't make it any better ... The size of the comments are - in most cases - just a fraction of the size of the article. So they also don't make your duplicate content problem any better.

If you show only two articles in your category, you other articles are accessible through pagination. Again: duplicate content.

I didn't want to create such a big discussion on duplicate content, it was just a topic, that bothered me. And I wanted to hear if you thought about it. You could also solve the problem with a noindex tag. I like my approach with the tweaked sitemap, even if it's all but perfect.

Joost

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »

Quote from: ki11
So they also don't make your duplicate content problem any better.
Could you clarify this problem? I still assume you are referring to bad seo, or do you mean something else? And what effects will it cause?

Regards,

Joost

ki11

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »

I still assume you are referring to bad seo, or do you mean something else? And what effects will it cause?
Yes, I'm talking about bad seo in general, about "duplicate content" in special.

Here's what Matt Cutts said:

In general, if you think you might be having problems, your best guess is probably to make sure your pages are quite different from each other, because we do do a lot of different duplicate detection... to crawl less, and to provide better results and more diversity.
source: http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2006-08-02-n60.html

Duplicate content could make some of your pages not to rank that good in google or any other search engine.

Joost

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

I was reading Matt Cutts blog while you were writing your post ( not a real coincident by the way, just a quick update of my knowledge).   ;)
Google could decide there are 'near duplicates' on a sNews site (I forgot to mention 'title' and 'meta tags'). At worse Google would chose to pagerank one page and neglect the other. I see no problem in Google doing  that. I don't think Google will see this as bad seo practice and ban or punish the sNews user, unless you have hundreds of 'near duplicates' on your site.
Most of the time, Matt Cutts addresses his topics to the people in seo-industry who balance on the thin line between good and bad seo practice. Keep that in mind.

Regards.

ki11

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32:24 PM »

I don't think that google bans pages because of duplicate content issues. They rather devaluate them. If you have some near duplicates on your page you never know which of them will rank and which of them will be devaluated. If you try to build up some links you may be collecting links to the "wrong" pages.

But it can come worse I think: Let's assume you show 2 articles per category. You have article A and B in this category. So google takes article A as near dupicate of the category, because tihs exact article is already published there. But google takes also the category as a near duplicate of B, because B is published in the category and as B itself. So the only article that ranks in a normal manner is B. Okay ... this may already sound a little paranoid, but it could really happen this way.
Pages: [1] 2