Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Am I doing it right?  (Read 3571 times)

Tjobbe

• http://www.farstyle.com
Am I doing it right?
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »

Hey everyone! remember me? (didn't think so!).

I've been away for a couple of releases and just downloaded 1.5 and its come a long way, congrats to the team!

I am in the process of building a site, which is a little complicated and I was wondering if sNews would be good for it?

It's not public yet so I can't share the url unfortunately.

Basically, the site will have various sections:

Home
About+
Community+
Articles*
Blog*
Contact +
Links+

I will be adding regular blog posts and user submitted articles to the two starred sections (*).

On the home page, I'd like a snippet of the latest Blog post and the latest Article displayed, with a read more link to the full post/article.

The home page will actually have three columns (css/ table-less) but the interior pages will only have two columns (one for content and one for vertical banners).

The other pages with a plus (+) will be static content, the community page for example, will link to a forum and there will be a resources section on the links page.

On the Blog section, as well as the articles section, I'd like several sub-sections, if possible. as there will be regular articles added in differing categories.

Can this all be done? Is this an sNews job?

mike1

Am I doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:32:05 AM »

this can be done with snews.  you would use the sub-pages feature for the static pages, and then you would use the category feature for blogs and articles.

to put the latest blog and articles post, i believe (not completely certain) you would have to modify the new articles function to make it work more like the center function in its article display capabilities.

altogether, this is perfect for snews, except for the homepage mod

Tjobbe

• http://www.farstyle.com
Am I doing it right?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »

cool, not far off what I need then. The homepage mod should be relatively straightforward though!

AS for the blog and articles posting, can i post Articles in different sub-sections such as "Home > Articles > Traditions" and "Home > Articles > Fashion", to name but a few?

mike1

Am I doing it right?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:26:14 AM »

nope.  subcats aren't possible at this time.................if you still care