Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Internal links  (Read 24553 times)

mattonik

• http://www.mattonik.sk
Internal links
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 12:10:29 AM »

:) well yes, it's going to use GD2 which should be available on most of apache runing servers. and yes, it will do some re-sizing work. And there are going to be 3 versions, or possibilities of how to add picture to text
- one: as normal thumb image linking to original size image
- second: as lightbox image
- three: inserting a string as a link to original image

The image panel will show image names, hovering on them will show their thumbs. Should there be any additional functions?

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
Internal links
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 04:25:27 AM »

Quote from: mattonik
:) well yes, it's going to use GD2 which should be available on most of apache runing servers. and yes, it will do some re-sizing work. And there are going to be 3 versions, or possibilities of how to add picture to text
- one: as normal thumb image linking to original size image
Brilliant!  May I suggest you also allow for those users whom dont use GD to create their own thumbnails and link to them (and when clicked, the larger image displays) ;)
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Internal links
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 04:52:11 AM »

Quote from: piXelatedEmpire
Brilliant!  May I suggest you also allow for those users whom dont use GD to create their own thumbnails and link to them (and when clicked, the larger image displays) ;)
Maybe this would make the mod more complicated. You see... auto-resizing isn't an issue for those of us who are used to re-sizing images before uploading... I do it all the time and just insert the image wherever and it displays fine.

But... auto-resizing with GD2 is important for ease-of-use as most end-users don't have image-editing applications to re-size their images before uploading. They just have an image they put on their computers from a digital camera and the file-size could be 2 to 5 MB in size... and they just want to upload and use the image in an article or page. If the user just uploaded the image as it came off the camera... and inserted it into an article or page... it would be too big and... well... you know what happens. So auto-resizing eliminates this problem. This is how ZenPhoto works... the user just uploads the image and ZenPhoto takes care of the rest. :)

Should there be any additional functions?
I just wanted to clarify that the functionality I am suggesting... is for the user to be able to upload an image to his or her image folder(s)... have image-name-links to them displayed in a panel like the "Internal Links" mod has... then be able to click on the image-name-link to insert the image file-path into an article or page automatically in the way the "Internal Links" mod inserts a link to an article... not in a gallery script. However... if your new mod had all 3 options as you suggested above... that would be "Brilliant" as Pix has noted.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
Internal links
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 05:29:26 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
Quote from: piXelatedEmpire
Maybe this would make the mod more complicated.
I don't think this would complicate the MOD.  Basically all that would be need is an option to specify a folder where thumbnail images are located and if selected, then the script would load the thumbnails from this folder instead of creating them with GD.

Having said that I'm not sure how to go about coding this so it *may* be difficult, but in theory it shouldn't be too complicated.  Matt could give us an idea of this.

mattonik

Internal links
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 08:57:24 AM »

Whoa, morning.
From the start: to upload pictures will be used normal File function, only with additional functions in it - auto resizing. But this would be controled by radio buttons - auto resize image / don't auto resize image. There is a problem, that you need to specify a folder where all the images would be (something like "uploaded_images"). If auto-resize image option selected - by uploading the image will autoresize to some value (like 640*480 with aspect ratio) and another image with size like 80*80 that would be placed in thumbs folder.

Then in admin article there will be panel just like "Internal links" that loads all pictures in "thumbs" folder showing their names (thumbs will show when mouse is over this filenames) and inserting option buttons

Now come to manual uploaded pictures - if you upload them - original into "uploaded_images" folder and thumb into "thumbs" folder, there is no problem, it will work as i you have uploaded ande resized with File function. You only need to set the same name for original and thumb.

That's how it gonna work, i hope :)

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
Internal links
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »

Looking forward to helping you test this when it gets off the ground mattonik :)
Just a suggestion, when it's ready to test, make a thread in the programming section ;)

Also, will you be using sNews 1.6 to base this on?

mattonik

Internal links
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 09:06:20 AM »

thanks, hope tommorow it could be out.  but right now i started to think about next version of this mod :D

ok, thanks.and yes, it is based on 1.6 version, hope it's not a problem

mattonik

Internal links
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »

mod done, check it out here - the Image Links Mod.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:34:39 AM by Keyrocks »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
Internal links
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 11:47:03 PM »

Right now i started to think about next version of this mod :D
@ Matt...
If you are working on the next version of the "Internal Links Mod", I would like to pass on another idea for you to consider while it's "in the works".

I had this mod working well in 1.5 and added it to my "Enhanced 1.6.0 Package" today. I also have Philmoz's Hidden Articles and Insert Hidden Articles and Articles Grouped by Category mods in it as well. All of the Hidden Article links are included in the Articles list in the Internal Links panel. When I insert the "Internal Link" for a hidden article, it includes "home" in the file-path... and that's OK... as the link in an article will open that Hidden Article when clicked.

However, there is no need to insert links to Hidden Articles because the idea behind the Hidden Articles is that they stay invisible until inserting the SEF name of the article in between [insert]-tags. This then displays the actual article content wherever the insert is located.

There is no need to have Hidden Articles listed in the Internal Links panel because... when we click "View" beside any of the Articles, Pages or Extra in the main Admin Panel... Philmoz's Articles Grouped by Category  lists all articles there and marks all Hidden Articles as "Hidden" so we know which ones are hidden ones, and we can view or edit them from there.

So... I suggest one of two options:
1 - Exclude Hidden Articles from being listed in the Internal Links Articles list... or
2 - Expand the panel to list Hidden Articles separately. Then modify the generated link so that it only contains the SEF title of the article wrapped in the [insert] tags. This would replace the insert-tag button in the editor buttons row.

Is this possible?
Keys
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mattonik

Internal links
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

Hi keys,
actually i was talking about new version of image links mod, but thats ok :)

And with the links mod, i would need to check the mods but i think it wouldn't be problem.

Joost

Internal links
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:37 AM »

@keyrocks and everybody else: thanks to keyrocks for reporting bug with IE, i changed the js function a little to insert link title as a link text in IE and in Mozilla too. thanks keys
Personally I don't like the title attribute, because it creates the same text for title as for the link. Which means one has to be edited afterwards.
I also discovered that the js-script can't handle single quote marks, it refuses in IE an FF. Anything that can be done about it? Overall I like the mod, thank you. :)

mattonik

Internal links
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »

Well, it's only question of 2 or 3 lines of additional javascript code, so it shouldn't be problem to change, just look at some prompt function.

i have never tried to use single quotes, thanks

henrich

• Passion for quality and excellence!
    • My personal blog and portofolio
Re: Internal links
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 02:26:30 AM »

And what if someone has 500 articles added to his site? How will look? I think this MOD needs a top menu with characters for the articles link section like this:

ARTICLES

A - B - C - D - E and so on ...

article link
existing article
and so on ...
By(e) Henrich :)
------------------------------
IT related blog

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 02:42:15 AM »

And what if someone has 500 articles added to his site? How will look? I think this MOD needs a top menu with characters for the articles link section like this:

ARTICLES
article link
existing article
and so on ...
I don't think it would be practical to use this mod in a site that had 500 pages or more.... because the panel will just get longer and longer as it currently displays all of the links in one long vertical list. In its current form, the mod works fine without any database changes or additions. Modifying it as you suggest would require a complete re-write, almost starting from scratch, and would likely require database changes and/or an additional table in order re-categorise links so they can be listed by their individual alphabetical order.

I should note, for your information, that this mod led to creation of a very nice Image Links Panel system. I also created an document links panel so that an admin can upload MSWord and PDF documents to the site... and insert the links into any content textareas. Just yesterday, I also added MSWord and PDF icons to new tag generators so the icon file-paths are auto-inserted along with the link when the document link is clicked in the panel. The icons display beside the text link in content.  :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 04:55:41 PM »

ARTICLES
article link
existing article
and so on ...

I haven't explored Henrich's suggested approach... but tried this one with success while adapting it for a client project (using sNews 1.6) this weekend.
I modified the Internal Links Panel script some more so that it lists all articles and pages By Published Category Only and... (in this specific project) Published Subcategories are also listed. The article and page links are hidden until a Category or Subcategory Title is clicked to expand and show the links for that given category. This keeps the Panel shorter as shown in this image.

As an example, you could have 20 "published" categories (& subcategories) and 20 published article links or page links under each. With the main panel expanded, only the 20 "published" category titles show. You then click the Category title to show its links only.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:03:53 PM by Keyrocks »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4