Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Will Andreas01 template work with sNews?  (Read 4989 times)

speedemonspecv

Will Andreas01 template work with sNews?
« on: April 08, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »

Will the Andreas01 template from OSWD.org work with sNews? It is located here: http://www.oswd.org/design/preview/id/2199 And if it does work, how would I implement it into my server? Thanks in advance for your help.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »

Hi, Speedy... And welcome to our community. Yes, the template will work with sNews but first after you implemented some php snippets, and adjusted the template or the CSS to fit each other and the script...

You do this by following the readme.html shipped with the download (snews zip on the solucija.com) and the links in the announcement area above.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

speedemonspecv

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 04:02:01 PM »

Thanks a lot! This helped me immensely.

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »

Did I spot a tad of irony there ;) well, if I did... So what. It goes this way (this is directed to whom ever, not any specific dude or dudess):

Forum, searchpossibilities, topics posted everyday about same things (such as: can I get this to go with snews ?)...Search posts, and thou shall find. (this specific topic has been posted numerous times regarding other templates and the answer/solution is the same...)

Every design, and I mean every design is possible to get to go with snews. And how this is being done have been posted over and over and over again... So forgive us if we do not answer this and other FAQ every time...

But as the 1.5.XX CSS template integration thingy has not been posted yet (it is under development), I'll drop in a few lines here:

Making sNews templates

A.  Here we begin the basic "porting" steps with our index (template) file in order to get it working with sNews. The first step is to take a copy of the file and rename it (if not already done) to index.php. As a precaution, re-name the default index.php file in your sNews package to XX_index.php. This disables it for now, so you can always re-name it back to index.php and run it if your ported file has problems.

B. We need to start the session and include the snews.php file which contains all of the CMS engine functions. Paste the following at the very top of your index.php: (Make sure there is no space or blank line before the opening php tag)

Code: [Select]
C. The title function sets your page title and base directory. Insert it as the first line within your area, and remove the static title string it replaces:

Now, sNews can work through your index.php to present site content. To be able to display the site content, there some more functions that will need to be installed in index.php. Below is a list of the standard functions available:

1. Center function
Displays center articles and other main content on your page. Also, it's used for displaying administrative area, archives, contact and other default main content. Enter the number(nr) of articles you want to display on your front page.

2. Menu articles function
Displays a number of new articles and/or past articles.Enter the nr of articles to start from and the amount articles to show: (eg: new articles would be (0, 3) in order to show the three first articles, or (4, 3) to show three articles starting from the fourth)

!! Menu_articles items is nested in
  • tags in sNews, which makes it very important to wrap this function within
    tags like in the above example.

3. Pages function
    Displays links for page-type articles (added via the admin section) in the site's main menu along with the default Home, Archive, Sitemap and Contact.

!! Pages items is nested in

4. Categories function
    Displays the categories added in the admin section. Home being the category used for frontpage publishing, by default.

!! Categories items is nested in

5. New comments function
    Displays new comments made to articles. Enter nr for number of new comments to show and amount for number of carachters.

!! New comments items is nested in

6. Search function
      Displays the search form.

7. Breadcrumbs function
      Displays breadcrumbs. That is, a set of links showing where you're at in the site structure.

Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
    • ULTIMATE member
    • Semantically Challenged
      • snews.ca
    « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:22:47 PM »

As Patric noted... sNews can be ported to run with just about any XHTML (html) template there is out there on the web. The sNews CMS is... from my experience... the easiest one to port a template to. As I've said elsewhere... "Making the News doesn't get any easier!" Certainly, you need to develop some skill with PHP, CSS and HTML... and you need to spend a little time becoming familiar with how sNews works... but once you do that... you will find sNews to be the best little CMS on the planet these days.

(Note: This endorsement is provided freely without prompting or pre-paid bonus or payment of any kind.)
    Do it now... later may not come.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
      • p-ahlqvist.com
    « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »

Quote from: keyrocks
    (Note: This endorsement is provided freely without prompting or pre-paid bonus or payment of any kind.)
    Whuhaa - yea, right :lol:
    Updated

speedemonspecv

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »

The title function seems to not be working. Maybe I'm not doing it right? I renamed the file index.php, put snews.php in the same folder, then followed the instructions until step 3. Here's the code, I probably didnt do it right.....

Keyrocks

• Doug
    • ULTIMATE member
    • Semantically Challenged
      • snews.ca
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:52:23 PM »

For the title... what we want to do is call the function from snews.php into action so that it will 'do its work' in this location of the index.php file. We do not have to add anything in the brackes... we just use it as it is... and it will create the title in the actual source code for each page being displayed - automatically. So... the function statement for TITLE should just be like this:
    Also... be sure that all files and folders related to sNews are in the same root directory (where index.php is).
    Do it now... later may not come.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU