Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Can Snews do this and a Javascript/Lightbox question?  (Read 6469 times)

centered

Can Snews do this and a Javascript/Lightbox question?
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »

I have a client that has a static page that they would like to update thier pictures.  It has an older non-standards code that I would like to replace with standards based code.  They have pictures, some flash, and I believe a quicktime movie in thier subsections which a js code pulls up in a popup window and goes through for each section like a mini image gallery (similar to a Lightbox/Thickbox function).

What i would like to do is update the coding and have the client be able to upload thier content and have the js pull the images from the folders to add to the subsections.  

One solution would be using sNews 1.4 text-db and have the img function pull the images into the popup.  The popups would probably be powered by Lightbox 2.0a (which handles flash).  Can sNews do something like this and can the IMG function handle subfolders within the img directory?

Another solution would be using sNews with the Quicktags mod and and have the Lightbox code built into the IMG tag (don't remember if it is there or not off hand) and have the client utilize that feature in the lightbox popup.  Would that be a viable solution?

Also, can Lightbox handle and upload feature if the above is not a viable solution? Can Javascript pull the image/swf content from subfolders for a gallery feature? (I am a js novice)

I don't think a news feature would be needed, but it could be there if the client wants to upgrade to it.  I also wouldn't think that a mysql database would be needed as well because of the small footprint of the site itself.

Please let me know if I need to explain myself further.  Thanks alot!

michael kennedy

• SpektreDesign
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:16:55 AM »

I'm not familiar with the textDB version since the MySQL version has suited all of my needs just fine.

It sounds to me, like you wish to automate the entire image gallery process for a client. This would require additional custom scripting however you choose to do it, given, you prefer to keep the gallery within sNews.

I used to use a script which would read all the folders within a specified directory and would then generate the code to display a gallery including thumbnails. However you'd still have to resize the thumbnails and name them according a strict namign convention eg: pic1.jpg, pic1-tn.jpg, pic2.jpg, pic2-tn.jpg, etc...

centered

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »

Thanks Mike.  I need to get in touch with the client to see if they need a news function at all.  My other idea was to utilize a zenphoto with a php contact form. I just wanted a simple, smaller footprint so the client can easily update thier site.  I should of mentioned before it is similar to a photogallery.

I would still be curious on my own Snews site, to see a built in Lightbox/thickbox functionality, utilizing quicktags to add to the content that would be included in the light/thick box.  I will look into it and post a mod if I get it working.  Shouldn't be too hard I guess.  

Lightbox code would look like this:
image #1
Adding a quicktag for Title and adding the rel="lightbox" in the img function

Thickbox code would look like this:
Single Image
Adding the class in the img function here and again adding a quicktag for title for captions.

jansie

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »

hi. i tried using lightbox in one of my snews sites, but it seems to not want to work. it's ok if you add the code to the index.php page, but it won't work if you use it in say, a category. is there any way to work around this?

jansie

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

dude it's all french to me. zenphoto gallery? what the? if you call me names again, i'll...! no, just kidding. i just want to be able to use the lightbox inside the categories, or pages, or extra, or whatever, without using a php gallery. just for any images. or do you need a php gallery to be able to work that thang?

jansie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »

oops. um. no. sorry. i'm using 1.5.31. yes. poof. that's the word i'm looking for. add the rel="lightbox" , and poof, it works. sorry i got my versions crossed...

centered

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:00:25 PM »

Actually you should be able to modify the quicktags for either 1.5 or 1.4 to allow the light/thickbox to work.  I have thickbox working in my 1.4 installation.  I saw a mod for 1.5 adding and modding the quicktags