Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: British Disability Discrimination Act  (Read 13503 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
British Disability Discrimination Act
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 04:27:36 PM »

Quote from: mika
it usually means providing site by disabling css rendering (style attachment tag removal) or minimizing css features (bg colors, font colors, images etc...)
Yes... If you've been careful to put all of your site template imaging into the stylesheet, then having a 2nd stylesheet that minimizes or eliminates most (if not all) of the styling serves as a plainer text-version stylesheet. And it's then just a matter of having a switch mechanism in place so that the viewer can switch if he/she so chooses. And the switch can also offer different sizes of text for visually impaired viewers as well.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »

Well, yes and no. I mean, I agree that making a bare-bones, no images, no frills stylesheet is a way around this. But there will still be images in the content for example (because I like images, or it might be a news site that uses many photos, or... you get the idea), and that isn't really providing a text-only version. It's a question of nuances and semantics and personal choice, I know. I'll ponder this some more, see what comes out. I do need to fix the blindlink issue, perhaps that will foster some ideas about text-only and other accessibility issues. Or maybe I'm just looking at the issue from a wrong angle.

Mika

• http://www.ni5ni6.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

Quote from: my favourite agent :D
...It's a question of nuances and semantics and personal choice...
yes, but it's a question of user's choice, especially if he/she is disabled and forced to use txt only through some voice browser. in that case, images are completely redundant element of your site. the other important thing is printer friendly option.

if you wish to be compliant, the simplest thing to do is to create several css files for various purposes. that's what css is for - amongst other things, it's a nifty tool to provide different look for a different people.
http://www.ni5ni6.com/ - Tutorials, Mods and How-To's about sNews CMS
sNews 1.6 Developers Edition - commented sNews 1.6 version

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »

Quote from: he-who-is-everywhere
my favourite agent :D
(you mean there are other agents here?) (seriously?) LOL

the other important thing is printer friendly option.
(for blind people?) :nudge:

Yes, true. Aural stylesheet, print stylesheet, screen/projection stylesheet, high-contrast stylesheet are all on my list. As are adding longdescs where I need those, at least for hardwired images. But accesskeys on links! Tabindex on links! How?
   yep, I know that accesskeys aren't recognised or used equally in the various screenreaders available, but the validator looks for them, and some accesskeys are mandatory in some countries' e-gov specs. UK, US to name two. EU I think will adopt the same regulations if they haven't already.

if you wish to be compliant, the simplest thing to do...
Heh- I'm not gunning for simplest. I'm going for "proper". ;D

Anyway, I don't really disagree with you. Just curious if I'd been doing too much previously. Seems so. And, judging by my comments above, I'll keep on doing too much... :D
//Insert favourite comment about old farts and learning here.//

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »

cameldesigns.com pased

--------All webpages were found to be fully compliant with the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, and therefore likely not in violation of the British Disability Discrimination Act. Pages make proper use of the latest XHTML standards.-------
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥
Pages: 1 [2]