Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable  (Read 3724 times)

Jmadden

1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:58:36 PM »

Is there any guide to 1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable. Since i have  heavily modded snews.php i was wondering is there was a file with all the code changes so i can change them manually.

I think this would be useful, as i don't think the code change from 1.5 RC3 to 1.5 would be that different? It would be help to us with modded very much the snews file.

Thanks

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »

Nope... As the RC3 has been updated with all the bugfixes since the RC2 the only think you need to do is update the bugs reported for RC3, please go through the bug report for RC3 and you'll find it updated to 1.5 stable: http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2383

Patric.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »

It is a good idea to develop and use some "good housekeeping" habits when you are making mods to a "not-stable" release of sNews (or any other cms application for that matter). I my case... when I make a mod to snews.php (not-stable), I keep a list of the mods I make at the top of the file in the commented-out area. I use a short reference for each mod there... example - mod1 - followed by a short description of the mod. Then, at each location in the file where I add or change something related to that mod, I preface the added or changed script with //---------- mod1 ---------------... and if the change involves replacing existing script, I just comment that script to disable it for the time being so that it is still there if I need to revert back to it.

Then... when I need to transfer my mods to the stable version of the snews.php file... I can just search for all instances of my reference -  mod1 - in the file and do my transfer from one file to the other. In order to do that, I first re-name my modded (not-stable) snews.php to XX-snews.php, then copy in the stable version. This way I can have both open in my code editor at the same time, do my transfers... and test-view my site after making each change or transfer. I do this after each change to ensure that... if I screw something up... I will know where I screwed up right away and focus on fixing it before proceeeding to the next change or insert. And... of course... I do this offline on my own machine for convenience-sake.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Jmadden

1.5 RC3 to 1.5 stable
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »

Thanks Patric for making that clear.  :)

Also thanks key rocks for that good advice. Will start doing this with all script modifications from now on..  :cool: