Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [STICKY] - ERROR MESSAGES: Causes and Possible Solutions  (Read 21181 times)

selcukhoca

• http://www.selcukhoca.com/snewstr/
[STICKY] - ERROR MESSAGES: Causes and Possible Solutions
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »

Thank you Keyrocks

I translate this document into Turkish at  sNews Turkish Community Site

http://www.selcukhoca.com/snewstr/ceviriler-translations/snews-hata-mesajlari-ceviri/

platf0rm

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
ERROR 500
Probable Causes

3. Apache is configured to disable mod_rewrite.

Possible Solutions

3. load mod_rewrite module, to do so just open "httpd.conf"  and find this line :

Code: [Select]
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.soand uncomment it by removing # so that it becomes like this:

Code: [Select]
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now the rewrite engine should work properly, I'm adding this solution because for so long, i've tried to run sNews using appserv and didn't succeded, because the defaut installation disables mod-rewrite. I hope this will help you out.

GraHamE

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 04:19:10 AM »

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webdevise@gmail.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) PHP/5.2.1 Server at localhost Port 80

Janet Kellman

• http://rbytes.net/software/
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »

Quote from: GraHamE
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
This error 500 internal server error, means that a request for a URL has triggered a fault with the Web server. It is likely that a server configuration change or incorrect .htaccess (!)

monica

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »

I tried adding the #'s to the first 3 lines of the htaccess file and all the various other suggestions to solve the internal server error 500.  I know I can use my own htaccess files but I don't know how to enable the mod_rewrite. Is that in one of the files I downloaded with the site or part of my hosting configuration?

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 03:16:23 AM »

Welcome Monica... check these pages in our Resources Forum:
All about mod_rewrite
.htaccess Resources
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

monica

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:57 PM »

Keyrocks,

thanks, I've looked through those pages.  I've confirmed with my host (godaddy) that the mod_rewrite is enabled and I can load my own htaccess files. Any other suggestions?

Monica

monica

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »

UPDATE:
after a couple more tweaks to the htaccess file (thanks Joots) I have overcome my server error. All links are now working. But one last hurdle:  when I log in with test/test (as per snews documentation) and add the integers, I get an error message that either the username, password, or sum is incorrect.  I can't find the place in the code that specifies the default password to check. Any suggestions? (Yes, I can add!)

Monica

Joost

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »

Seems like you're not connected to the database.
Check your database settings: Godaddy doesn't use localhost, it is something else.
Quote from: monica
(Yes, I can add!)
Not all of us can, see?
 :)

monica

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

Yup, I know the correct setting for the godaddy database. And wouldn't I be gettting a "problem accessing database message" if that were the problem?  Instead,  I'm getting a log-in error.
Pages: 1 [2]