Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Checking Existing  (Read 4071 times)

Michael (mik) Land

Checking Existing
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »

Unfortunately, I can't get sNews to work, so I'm not sure if this feature already exists but...

I propose that if snews.php or the htaccess file can't be found, then the system is killed. An empty page loading because a file has been corrupted, missing, etc is a little annoying to the visitor. However, if an error is to be outputted then they're going to be a little less ticked off.
The meaning of life is... Ooooh looky here, a MANGO!
I'm getting to like snews.

brauck

• http://www.hbw-webdesign.nl/
Checking Existing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »

Hi Mik,

First of all, welcome to our forum.

Quote from: mik
I propose that if snews.php or the htaccess file can't be found, then the system is killed.
Not sure what you mean by this; if snews.php is not found by your index file you will get a system (server)  error and not a blanc page I think and there isn't anything to "kill" left.

It's a pitty that you can't get sNews to work, but don't dispair we help you on your way. But you have to be a bit more specific, e.g. which version of sNews are you trying to install, where did you install sNews, on your local machine or on a live server, which server software (Microsoft, Apache),  which folder etc. With this information we can help you better.

Or (even better) surf the forum, almost every installation issue will be answered here.
Confidence is reduced complexity.
brauck.nl for free css templates

Michael (mik) Land

Checking Existing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:46:26 PM »

Thank you for the welcome

Server errors really don't help the unsavvy. A custom error message, based on the sNews system would be easy to make, in fact only one line of PHP is required.

What I mean is at current. the index file simple includes() the snews.php file, however if you were to use if(file_exists('snews.php')) {include('snews.php');} else {echo "error here"; die;}, then the page still wouldn't load but the error would be more human.

My current server platform is Apache running on Windows. I'm using PHPDEV5, PHP4/MySQL4. I completed the settings in the snews1.4 release and all I got were Internal Server Errors (500).

I am building my own article system (or blogging, whatever you want to call it), and was going to use sNews to see how it is done on there, I've already taken a look at EE Core and WordPress.

brauck

• http://www.hbw-webdesign.nl/
Checking Existing
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »

Hey Mik ,

No one is stopping you to modify your index file in the way you suggested, but I think if someone is just uploading the indexfile but not the snews.php file, well let I put it nicely, that's not very smart. And about visitors, well I presume that one is testing his site first before going live.

About your problem then, have you searched the forum on this? I am sure you will find the solution there.
Confidence is reduced complexity.
brauck.nl for free css templates

Michael (mik) Land

Checking Existing
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:01 PM »

To be honest, I haven't had much in the way of time to go about searching for solutions. I will do it though.

I just realised that when developing a template for sNews, that I can simply add it in myself.

One should test the site before going live, but not everyone does.