Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Categories selection  (Read 3345 times)

rushi

Multiple Categories selection
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »

Hi Sirs

SNews is very powerful, but I think it would have been great if it can provide a better categorization facility.

1. Feature to create sub categories
2. Features to select multiple categories

It is quite possible that I may not be aware of previues discussion over this.
Could you guys throw some light over this?

Is sNews planning anything over this?

Thanks and regards,
Rushi

maccrazy

• http://www.maccrazy.net
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »

Sub categories, as well as multiple user logins, seem to be two of the most requested features. While I would also like to see them, I gather they want to keep the system simple and leave these sorts of features as mods. I don't know if multiple categories has been mentioned before, but it is a good idea. :)

mike1

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:40:17 PM »

speak of the devil

ive just started messing around with the ability to post articles to multiple categories, but i havent gotten far.  if anyone has ideas to shove me in the right direction, im willing to listen because im still in the messing around stage.  if no one else tries to code this mod, i'll continue to try (v 1.4) but it may be a while :)

i ask for direction because here is my crappy idea

i have no problem with posting the article multiple times, except that it shows up under function new_articles($number) multiple times, so here is my theoretical solution

1.  add another article field called multiple article or something like that, with value either 1 or 0 in articles table
2.  make option in new article form to populate field with either 1 or 0.
3.  change
Code: [Select]
$query = "SELECT * FROM " .s('prefix'). "articles WHERE position = 1 AND published = 1 ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 0, $number";to something like
Code: [Select]
$query = "SELECT * FROM " .s('prefix'). "articles WHERE position = 1 AND published = 1 AND multiplearticle = 0 ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 0, $number";so if you post multiple times, the first time you post, you do normal, and it populates new database field with 0.  every time after that, when you post, in the new article form, you check the "multiple article" box so that it populates the field in table with 1 rather than 0, and wont show up under new articles