There are only two steps required to update your site from 1.5.30 to 1.5.31. The first is to replace and configure the snews.php file... and the second is to change the username and password values within the settings table in your database. The latter is necessary so that the security features in 1.5.31 will function properly.
First, download the sNews 1.5.31 ZIP (Minimal) and un-zip it to your hard drive. The next steps all have to do with making some changes in your existing 1.5.30 (DesignCriatavo) site.
- Change the name of your snews.php file to 30_snews.php. This will disable for a while.
- Copy and paste the snews.php file from the 1.5.31 Minimal package into your site's root directory (where 30-snews.php is).
- Copy the database configuration settings from your 30_snews.php file into your new snews.php file.
- Save your changes.
Now, you need to do a little bit of editing within the settings table in your database. You can do this simple step manually through phpMyAdmin if you have CPanel access to your site's database. Once you have your database visible in phpMyAdmin:
- Click on the settings table in the left side-bar list. Once it appears in the right panel, then click BROWSE from the top menu bar... this will display all the rows in the table.
- Scroll down to the bottom... where the username and password rows are (the last two). In 1.5.30, the username value was the actual username itself, and the password was converted to an encrypted string. In 1.5.31, we now have both values encrypted. So, we need to change (re-set) both of these values with the encrypted string for the word "test", so we can log in with "test | test", then change it to our preferred username and password afterwards.
- In phpMyAdmin, click on the edit link for the username row. Replace the username value in the username field with:
and click GO to save it. Then, do the same for the password value as well.
Once these two values have been changed in the settings table, you will need to log into your site using test
for both the username and password. Once logged in... go to your Settings Admin panel, then scroll down to the bottom and click the Change Username and Password
link and expand the panel... change your login information and save it. The next time you log in, you will need to use your new username and password.
If the above seems too confusing, then read through the Readme.htm
file that is included with the 1.5.31 package.
One more thing, you might also check and compare the content of your existing .htaccess file with the one that came in the 1.5.31 package, particularly if you had made changes in your existing one previously.
And your site should be running fine.