Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: 2 different places for Extra !?!  (Read 7367 times)

AgniZ

2 different places for Extra !?!
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:33:38 AM »

friends... is it possible (for example) to have 2 small texts inserted as extra but shown at different places in the template? i.e. imagine a Extra-A listed under categories and a Extra-B always visible over a banner near to top menu...
sorry if it is hard to explain...
AgniZ

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »

Offcourse, that's how extra is supposed to work and that's why we removed left and right to have one unlimited extra.

Here's what you can do:

place 2 times and create 2 extra contents in your admin area.
Set one to appear on category 1 and the second on category 2.

AgniZ

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:33 AM »

luka, thanks for your helping but it seems that I was not able to express properly what I really thought...
I mean, my need is to have 2 extra() in different places, different DIVs not different categories.
Imgine have extra_A under categories list, extra_B near page menu and extra_C near to Search button (it is just a scene to think about, ok?!)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »

So... you want to have three distinctly different positions... such as position A, position B, and position C?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »

Mhm, in my little old head that would crave some modding, or ??? I mean we have today one right ? You're saying I could have two or more of these where ever I want in one design showing different content ?? I mean, that's great, hehe... I didn't know that, or I did but I had forgotten, who can tell me what I think...really :lol:
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

AgniZ

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:30:58 PM »

YES ! Thats what I am looking for.
Well, take a look over my website: www.triguna.com and I hope this can make the things easier to understand. SO over a large image at top of site there is a Welcome Message, this message is planned to be changed from time to time so it would be great consider it as an Extra().
In fact I already use extra() below my subscription from (which is under categories list)...
What do you think? (by the way< i hope to be honoring through this template the full power of this wonderful CMS that is sNews )
Yours,

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 05:36:20 PM »

Quote from: AgniZ
(by the way< i hope to be honoring through this template the full power of this wonderful CMS that is sNews )
Well, you are, Ag. That's a very beautiful site. Tastefully design with all that colors, that's hard in my book, I would have made it look like shit with so many colors, but you did it just greeeeeeeat :).

Patric.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:50:33 PM »

OK - I explored the creation of additional article positioning functions in sNews 1.4 and met with success. I just had a fast look at snews.php in 1.5.27 and I think we could accomplish the same by cloning function extra() and changing the name of it to function extra_two() and so on... to create more "extra" functions. Then, it's a matter of searching for all instances of "extra" throughout the other functions in snews.php and cloning the associated strings so that the additional functions (and their links) would be included where necessary. This would take a fair bit of time, but I believe it would be possible. I am intrigued by the possibilities, but I don't have time to experiment with it now. I see this as a challenge in waiting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 07:10:12 PM »

UPDATE - CHECK THIS OUT: Dom has already done exactly what we are talking about - (just remembered it) -
 http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13974#p13974 and http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13940.

AgniZ

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:11:51 AM »

Thank you very much for your kind words. This has been a template which put me to spend some weeks working on it experiencing so many different combinations or color schemes till final decision. I am relaxed now since it is already launched !

keyrocks, thanks for pointing me to the right direction ! great ! but I would expect to find simpler solution...

AgniZ

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »

A "simpler solution"... well about the only simpler solution will be a ready-made snews.php file that has two or three new "extra" positions already added to it. That will only be available once one of us has created it and... your guess is as good as mine when it comes to "when" that might happen. It is a time-consuming mod and not something everyone really needs.