Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: S.O.S 1.5 Package  (Read 13800 times)

brauck

• http://www.hbw-webdesign.nl/
S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »

Bram, It works!! :) :)

My mistake; I called the batchfile from the root of my c-drive (d:/sos15/start.bat) while the sos15-folder was on my d-drive. When I cd to d:/sos15 and then call start.bat it works like a charm.

Great job Bram :)
Confidence is reduced complexity.
brauck.nl for free css templates

Vyacheslav Maliuhin

S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 01:25:54 PM »

Quote from: bramsyuur
If you want to try it, feel free to get a copy here (9.3Mb): http://shonan.no-ip.org/sos15.zip
Isn't this ZIP broken? I am using WinRAR v3.61. And when I try to extract this ZIP, it throws a large list of errors ("Unknown method in %filename-here%"), and extracts only folder structure, and many (but not all) GIF, PNG, .CONF files.

Do I _REALLY_ have to install "7Zip" to extract this archive?

EDIT:  Oh my god, 7Zip worked...
Anyway, it is wrong that this ZIP file is not supported by other archivers!
Is it WinRAR out-of-date, or 7Zip using non-standard algorithms?
The only thing, which computer REALLY learned to do, is to distinguish between one and zero.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 03:49:37 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't winrar shareware ? If you've forgot to pay for it it might have expired or some freaking thing... Just a guess ;). I know I had problem with winrar sometime ago, and that was the reason.
My sNews site
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated, online again - Free designs

Vyacheslav Maliuhin

S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »

Quote from: Patric
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't winrar shareware ?
OK, I am a big fan of all kinds of Open Source and Free Software (for example, I am a biggest fan of Firefox browser!). I like all Open Source standards and technologies, and I will never change it to any proprietary competitors (I'm ready to PAY MONEY to have a server without ANY Microsoft software :), but fortunately I haven't, because Open Source is free of charge).

But this time I am talking not about Free Software, I am talking about ACCESSIBILITY, which is much more important thing (because Accessibility is the main reason for Open Source Cross-Platform software to exist).

If this file is ZIP, then it should be STANDARD ZIP, so anybody (no matter, which software he is using -- free or proprietary) should be able to unzip this file...

P.S. I have only 4 proprietary softwares on my PC: 1) Windows OS, 2) WinRAR, 3) EmEditor, 4) TheBat! -- Thats all, everything else is Free Software and Freeware.
Why am I using WinRAR, EmEditor, TheBat ? Because those utilities are simply THE BEST. There currently is NO free software with similar capabilities in the web. Unless I can't find it.

Maybe you can tell me that there is better mailer than TheBat, or better text editor than EmEdit, but I'm sure there is NO better archiver than WinRAR. Stable. Secure. Comfortable. Fast. Advanced. Full Unicode support. Good compression. Can you find any better archiver? Personally I can't.

Please, don't treat this post as a flame. :) It isn't. It is just a discussion.
The only thing, which computer REALLY learned to do, is to distinguish between one and zero.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »

Hehe, woooooooooooooooosh. I almost got blown away from the screen when entering this thread. Don't worry, no flametreatment here. And I wouldn't go flaming on this particular discussion - I agree, winrar is the best. I was mearly offering an explaination as to why it may have not worked... based on previous personal experiences. Not arguing at all in any way ;)...
My sNews site
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated, online again - Free designs

Vyacheslav Maliuhin

S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »

It is OK :)
I just finished my experiments with WinRAR. It just CAN'T handle 7zip's ZIP files, created using "BZip2" compression method. But it still supports perfectly all other 7zip's formats: all kinds of ZIPs (except "BZip2"compression method), all kinds of 7Zs, TAR, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2. So now I will write a letter about that problem to Alexander Roshal (WinRAR creator, we were corresponding with him earlier a couple of times, but I still can't name him my buddy :) ).

I also made a big revelation! I tested 7ZIP's compression ratios on this SOS15.zip package, and 7ZIP's best result is 1,6 times smaller than WinRAR's best result! (4.73 MB vs 7.75 MB). Incredible! What a challenge to my beloved WinRAR!

That's because 7ZIP used 64MB dictionary, and WinRAR used 4MB dictionary. I was speaking with Alexander Roshal some years ago, that he have to raise maximum dictionary size limit from 1MB to 4MB (it is serious step, because it means changing archive format), so he did it in WinRAR 3.0. Now I will remind him to raise this limit again up to 192MB. :D :D :D

This thread becomes off-topic. I'm sorry for this, guys, no more posting about archivers here. ;)

bramsyuur

• http://snews.vietbee.net
S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »

Hi Sla80 and thanks for trying my package.
Well, fist of all, this 7Zip package was compressed using the _best_ method for a maximun compression ratio, because, this zip file was hosted in my own server and don't want to overhead my dsl connection with it. Actually, more than 200 times this file was downloaded. And, offcourse, I like the freeware and free sofware in general, because, alot of great programs are in it.
Again, thanks for using or trying my package, I hope that help you and others.
bram.

PS: My first post was updated and the 7Zip has noted.
La comunidad sNews en tu idioma!
Comunidad sNews en Español

Vyacheslav Maliuhin

S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »

Quote from: bramsyuur
Hi Sla80 and thanks for trying my package.
Well, fist of all, this 7Zip package was compressed using the _best_ method for a maximun compression ratio, because, this zip file was hosted in my own server and don't want to overhead my dsl connection with it.
Hi, bramsyuur,

In this case, you better try the original 7Zip compression with those parameters:

Archive format: 7z
        Compression level: Ultra
        Dictionary size: 64 MB
        Word Size: 273

Result: SOS15.7Z = 4.72 MB

Or you can get WinUHA (freeware, www.winuha.com) and use those parameters:

Compression: PPM
        Multimedia Compression: ON
        Dictionary: 32 MB

Result: SOS15.UHA = 4.52 MB (best result!)

Also, you can convert this UHA file to Self-Extracting EXE (WinUHA Sfx Module):

Result: SOS15.EXE = 4.64 MB

All those alternatives are twice (imagine, TWICE!!!) smaller than your ZIP.

P.S. I have installed WinZip v10.0 this morning (I haven't used WinZip for about 10 years, because it is a poor archiver), and discovered, that it handles your ZIP file perfectly. So, this was only WinRAR fault.

bramsyuur

• http://snews.vietbee.net
S.O.S 1.5 Package
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »

Hi! :)
I've updated my post and my package with the last RC3.
Thanks,
bram.
La comunidad sNews en tu idioma!
Comunidad sNews en Español
Pages: 1 [2]