Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's new in sNews 1.5?  (Read 10144 times)

Wurlitzer

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »

Hi,
I was looking around on the solucija website to find some info about new features in the 1.5 version of sNews, but couldn't find any.
Did I miss something?
I'm currently creating a website using version 1.4, and wanted to know if 1.5 was worth the switch, as my website is almost done.

Guenni

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »

I already look for that for 19 days. It becomes again everything too unclearly here in the forum and on the web page.  I have difficulties here purposeful information to find…

my sNews side is first times deactivated
http://mp3-post.de/snews

Greetz from Germany

bionicman

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »

Hi guys... :) I'm also interested in new features... :P

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »

Quote from: Guenni
I already look for that for 19 days. It becomes again everything too unclearly here in the forum and on the web page.  I have difficulties here purposeful information to find…
Greetz from Germany
Have you noticed that there is this Forum here called sNews 1.5 RC version (actually it is the one we are in right now...) that has all sorts of documentation on what is happening with sNews 1.5. And the documentation (html page) that comes within the Download zip file is fairly clear on how to install it... it may not be perfect but it worked for me. And remember, guys... this is a developer's testing version, and sNews is not for people who don't have a reasonable understanding of how to work with PHP, CSS and HTML and MySQL database creation. So... some developer skills are required.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Guenni

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »

yes, I understood everything. I have noticed that there is this Forum here called sNews 1.5 RC version, that this is a developer's testing version and so on.

my ask was to 9.9.2006: I however in demand which e.g.

meant and white it until today not!
http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=12795#p12795

i can't find here
http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13412#p13412

or here
http://www.snews.ca/resources/template-structure/

or here
http://www.solucija.com/home/using-snews-with-a-css-template/

Greetz from Germany

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:24:21 PM »

yes, I understood everything. I have noticed that there is this Forum here called sNews 1.5 RC version, that this is a developer's testing version and so on.
my ask was to 9.9.2006: I however in demand which e.g.

Greetz from Germany
You will have to be patient with me. It is not easy to know what you mean. I do not really know what you want to know about and . But I will try to guess what it is and offer you this.

What Are They?
1. When you see the one for pages in the index.php file that came with 1.5, you will notice that it is just under
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bionicman

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
Greetz from Germany
Have you noticed that there is this Forum here called sNews 1.5 RC version (actually it is the one we are in right now...) that has all sorts of documentation on what is happening with sNews 1.5. And the documentation (html page) that comes within the Download zip file is fairly clear on how to install it... it may not be perfect but it worked for me. And remember, guys... this is a developer's testing version, and sNews is not for people who don't have a reasonable understanding of how to work with PHP, CSS and HTML and MySQL database creation. So... some developer skills are required.
We were just looking for new features/changes list. I know that this is RC version, but I think there must be changes list. :P

gomisan

• http://fish-cam.net/
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:58:08 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
And remember, guys... this is a developer's testing version, and sNews is not for people who don't have a reasonable understanding of how to work with PHP, CSS and HTML and MySQL database creation. So... some developer skills are required.
I know this is a development version, you know it, but it's the MAIN download for sNews now. It really shouldn't be, not until it's final, otherwise a lot of people are going to download it and be rather disappointed.

The main site should have the 1.4 version still prominently displayed AND noted as being the latest full release.

back on topic....

I'm not really sure there is much new apart from the backend structure, it seems to have the same feature set, I was expecting more of the previous mods/add-ons to have been integrated especially since some were pretty minor changes and very useful. I mean people don't have to use all the functiosn provided, but the more the merrier.
Check out my sNews powered Tropical Fishtank site, live Fish-Cam !!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 03:23:42 PM »

Quote from: gomisan
I know this is a development version, you know it, but it's the MAIN download for sNews now. It really shouldn't be, not until it's final, otherwise a lot of people are going to download it and be rather disappointed.
The main site should have the 1.4 version still prominently displayed AND noted as being the latest full release.
I know you know it too gomisan. And I agree with you that 1.4 should still be the MAIN download with a note that it is still the latest stable release... with the  the 1.5 RC version being available for anyone looking forward to the challenge. All we can do is point these issues out as a way of encouraging the Forum and Site Admin(s) to make these changes. :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »

I was expecting more of the previous mods/add-ons to have been integrated especially since some were pretty minor changes and very useful. I mean people don't have to use all the functiosn provided, but the more the merrier.
That's just the thing, Gomi... More addons/mods aren't gonna happen as snews is meant to be the little lightweight, single file system. The actual improvements in code and such, I will leave to Mika, Luka to explain as I can't ;)... But there is significant changes compared to the 1.4 made, and to the better... I think mostly in how the script works, you know... As for addons/mods, they are really meant to be just that...That is coming as extras to the base script. The idea is to keep the base script as is, but with code improvments, SEO improvments and so on...

(Luka, Mika, correct me if I'm wrong here, and fill in the gaps, please ;))
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Dom

• domdelimar.com
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:39 PM »

Just think of Firefox for a second - do you know anybody who uses Firefox without at least one extension?
IMHO Firefox by itself, except for it's security compared to... oops, we don't wanna start anything that includes throwing flames at each others here, do we? ...is not something special - the possibilitiy of extending it's abilities is what makes it such a great program.

I'm glad the way sNews is built, lightweight and small.
But, maybe there should be an easier way to install mods and addons? I'm fine with the way you have to install them now, after all I've learned a lot about PHP while playing with sNews but maybe for users who don't care about getting at least a basic education in PHP and MySQL, there should be an easier way...

But hey, we already have an improvement on that part - we now have an Admin panel where you can change some settings, don't we? :)
Still, I'd be totally OK even if I had to change snews.php file for this matter. But I'm sure many people were looking for that feature since it's here now.

Wurlitzer

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 07:36:06 PM »

As I understand it now, the biggest changes in 1.5 are "behind the scenes".

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 08:26:34 PM »

My favourite feature from sNews 1.5 is the abillity to set a page as a front page. This comes handy when you just want to use sNews as a CMS for a company website and you don't want to display articles. If you still want to display articles you can easily open up a category called eg. "Blog" and post articles there.

With this feature, sNews is now a blog engine aswell as a simple CMS.

It's hard to tell what has been changed cause almost everything has changed from 1.4. Whole engine is rewritten, Control Panel is added instead of administrative links in menu items. Before you could select a position for an articles, and now articles, pages and extra content is being added and edited separately. A lot of work has been put in making the admin area more simpler.

And the list goes on... :)

RSS is displayed dynamically, there's no need for rss.xml file. HTML tags are added in the article creation/edit mode, so the adding tags is much simpler now. Former Images function is now called Files and has the abillity to upload files recursively.

In the control panel we see the settings which allows us to change everything on the fly aswell as username and password.

We added unique separator which can be displayed to paginate articles aswell as comments. We added a Website URL field when typing comments.

And there's one pretty cool behind the scenes thing. Spammers spam your comments from a remote computer using your form. Now, to post a comment, the time between writing comment and sending has to be atleast 5 seconds and the IP address has to be the same as the one where comment was submitted. Time will show wether this is an effective method but optimistic as I am, I'm expecting some pretty good results.

Don't be fooled by sNews's size, sNews is a really powerful script which introduces atleast one revolutionary feature in each new version that no other CMS has. But you have to understand that only Mika and I are working on sNews for now and that's the reason why we don't have the time to write massive documentation files.

We will be glad to accept help on any part of the project, especially the docs.

Wurlitzer

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »

Thanks Luka, for that detailed reply.
I like to see that most of the work is used on clean code, ease of use, reliability etc, rather than tons of features.

Quote from: Luka
Don't be fooled by sNews's size, sNews is a really powerful script
Don't worry! It wasn't hard to figure that out! ;-)

bionicman

What's new in sNews 1.5?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 07:57:36 AM »

That's better luka :D

Good luck :)
Pages: [1] 2