Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 11326 times)

bryn

• http://www.cssugly.com
Introduction
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:26:55 PM »

new text here
Over 1,000 posts of joy, sNews is not only brilliant, but fun too! thanks guys :D

Trainer

Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:08:29 AM »

Hello,
I'm sorry if this in't the correct place to post - so please move me on if necessary.
(I certainly didn't want to steal thunder from solidghost's excellent post)

It's just that a while ago I tried to contribute to this documentation.
It was an item to do with Mod Re-write and I entered it into the installation forum thread. ( I couldn't get things to work until I set a BASE/ location.)

I'm sure this would have been a helpfull post to someone in the same situation as me...?

My post was deleted - and I'm sorry if I offended anyone - I'm quite sure however that I wasn't offensive or critical in ANY way.

Can you just advise me as to what I did wrong? Or why this post wasn't helpfull as an 'installation' problem?

Thanks - and no hard feelings :)
T.

Mika

• http://www.ni5ni6.com/
Introduction
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:39:28 AM »

hi trainer :) please send me a PM with your mod_rewrite post and I'll place it somewhere for you, okay?

and sorry about deletion (I cannot say it was me to blame, but I'll be glad to help you straight things up) ;)
http://www.ni5ni6.com/ - Tutorials, Mods and How-To's about sNews CMS
sNews 1.6 Developers Edition - commented sNews 1.6 version

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Introduction
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:25:13 AM »

Hi trainer... sorry about deletion (I cannot say it was me to blame, but if it's not Mika or Luka, then it is me to blame) I'm really sorry, I have no recollection of this but then again I'm not without error.

Please PM it, and either one of us will post it.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Mika

• http://www.ni5ni6.com/
Introduction
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »

yeah, right...it's got to be Luka then :lol:
http://www.ni5ni6.com/ - Tutorials, Mods and How-To's about sNews CMS
sNews 1.6 Developers Edition - commented sNews 1.6 version

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Introduction
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »

Most likely :lol: I just didn't want to say it
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

monica

Introduction
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »

When I try to view the user's manual, I seea blank page with just the nav buttons at the top.  Now what?   :/

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Introduction
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »

Quote from: monica
When I try to view the user's manual, I seea blank page with just the nav buttons at the top.  Now what?   :/
The reason this happens is because you are probably trying to view the Users Manual in IE7. I just discovered this a couple days ago when one of my clients had this problem. Once she installed Firefox she was OK. It also works OK in IE6.

The User Guide content will also be contained in the NEW Official sNews website that will be made public in a few weeks or so... once Luka returns from his holiday and gets back onto the project. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
Introduction
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:07:23 AM »

USER MANUAL PROBLEM SOLVED:
For those of you who had the same problem Monica experienced - with the content of the User Manual pages not displaying in IE7 - the pages are now displaying fine. It appears the problem is with the DOC TYPE string at the top of each page file... it causes IE7 to not read the content of the files.
I have no idea why... if someone knows a better DOC TYPE string that IE7 will recognize... please post it here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joost

Introduction
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 05:29:38 AM »

@keyrocks

I assume 'USER MANUAL' is the manual on snews.ca. I experienced a render failure too (in FF! on XP), but only once. I couldn't reproduce the failure after reloading.
Since it was an one-time event, I have to guess what's causing this behaviour.
I think it's caused by using the same 'id' several times. 'id' can be used only once on a page. It would be worth changing them to classes.
 In the htm files:
id="primarycontainer"  => class="primarycontainer"
and
id="primarycontent" => class="primarycontent"
and of course in the stylesheet :
#primarycontainer to .primarycontainer
#primarycontent to .primarycontent

With the use of  "search and replace" it should only take a few minutes.
Concerning DOC TYPE Definitions, I would recommend a loose or transitional dtd: According to the IE7 developers, they use the strict doctypes to change behaviour to be compliant with the web standards.
quircks mode (no dtd or a messed up dtd) will provoke the infamous  IE <7 behaviour.

But IMHO, it's the multiple use of 'id' that's the problem.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
Introduction
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »

@ Joost...
I tried changing the 2 IDs to classes this morning. After changing them in the stylesheet but not in the html file, the content displayed fine. But after changing them in the html file, the was blank again. An interesting note... leaving them as IDs in the stylesheet and as classes in the html file results in display with no problems.
DOC TYPE Solution: Changing it to "4.01 Transitional solved the IE7 display issue:
I'll refresh the User Guide later this morning... with the ID-to-Class changes as well. Thanks Joost. :)

Joost

Introduction
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »

Astonishing. Of course IE7 developers have got a reputation to lose, if they had not introduced al long list of bugs.   ;)
Unfortunately I don't have IE7 installed and I am reluctant to do so.  It is an interesting case to explore.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
Introduction
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »

Quote from: Joost
Unfortunately I don't have IE7 installed and I am reluctant to do so.  It is an interesting case to explore.
I don't either and I am also reluctant to do so. Fortunately, I took delivery of a new laptop (for other business use) last week with XP Pro & IE7 on it and thought "hey... stick the userguide on the lappy and work with it there'. I went a little further and installed Xampp Lite + my fav code editor + FF + Opera on it too so I can test-run my sNews projects and use it as as a portable server for doing site demos with an overhead projector. :)