Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: tagcloud?  (Read 8182 times)

willr

• http://www.willr.co.nz
tagcloud?
« on: September 02, 2006, 12:55:12 AM »

Hey has anyone tried to have a tagcloud for categorys? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud) Im just wondering as Im working on a website which the design has the categorys in the form of a tagcloud... if no-one has done this I will give myself the challenge! any ideas/suggestions about this mod/how it could work etc would be helpful. Cheers, Will

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
tagcloud?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »

I've seen these before but never knew what they were... or what their purpose is. What IS the purpose of a tag cloud?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

iatbm

• Public domain photos
tagcloud?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »

I think the purpose is to see which categories are most popular. Categorie clikced more times is bigger ..... I think this is it :D

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
tagcloud?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:41:34 PM »

Quote from: keyrocks
I've seen these before but never knew what they were... or what their purpose is. What IS the purpose of a tag cloud?
From what I understand, they give a set of links styled to show more popular ones very prominently than lesser ones.

IMHO they create such a haphazard mess on a page. (But then again I prefer clean/neat navigation, and am not into 'arty' presentation of critical site mechanisms)
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Phil

• http://www.ckt.com
tagcloud?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 09:15:54 PM »

Quote from: keyrocks
It's used to boost a sites rating, i.e., "Google bombing".

willr

tagcloud?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:09:54 AM »

"A tag cloud (more traditionally known as a weighted list in the field of visual design) is a visual depiction of content tags used on a website. Often, more frequently used tags are depicted in a larger font or otherwise emphasized, while the displayed order is generally alphabetical. Thus both finding a tag by alphabet and by popularity is possible. Selecting a single tag within a tag cloud will generally lead to a collection of items that are associated with that tag.

The first widely known tag cloud appeared on Flickr, the photo sharing site. That implementation was based on Jim Flanagan's Search Referral Zeitgeist, a visualization of web site referrers. Tag clouds have also been popularised by Technorati, among others." - wikipedia.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
tagcloud?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 02:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the explanations guys... I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered what they were.
Quote from: Phil
It's used to boost a sites rating, i.e., "Google bombing".
Hmmmm... Google Bombing... sounds like something that isn't likely to be friendly to the search bots... like something Google would frown upon... not a good thing to do on a site you want the s-bots to love.
Quote from: philmoz
IMHO they create such a haphazard mess on a page.
I'd have to agree with you on that one... it might be artsy but it looks a bit fartsy to me. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

willr

tagcloud?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:13:55 AM »

The reason I asked for the tagcloud, is that I have a total of 54 categorys and need to display them all in a easy to navigate way. Since hearing peoples comments about them "it looks a bit fartsy to me." I was wondering does anyone else have a clever way to display lots of categorys without having looooooong boring lists :P??

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
tagcloud?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 06:44:34 AM »

willr, by no means take my dislike of tag-clouds as discouraging you from developing such for snews.

Most certainly, if I could see a way that such could be presented pleasantly, I'd reconsider using them, but to me, they resemble "ransom" notes of letters/words cut out from different magazines, and glued to a perfectly good piece of paper, and not that easy to read straight off.

I dare say, if styled well, they can be effective, but I haven't seen any yet that are appealing on a site, AND, give an indication of what they are for.

So, a counter challenge.

Make your tag-cloud mod/addon, and present it as a functional, pleasant, intuitive navigation system. :)

It is a matter of simplest (and boring) being the most commonly known, and hence effective in allowing navigation through a site.

----my approach---
If your categories can be grouped, then a list of uber-categories would be in order, with css flyouts with a list of categories within the uber-category... if you see what I mean.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
tagcloud?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »

willr, you could take a look at this post: http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1529 for clues on how to set different class or ids on your categories. Then it's just a matter of using those classes and/or ids in the CSS to give them special styles.

You can even use CSS 2.1-specific tricks to make the styling "smarter", but then not all browsers support CSS 2.1 ...or CSS 2 ...or even CSS 1 very well. ;D

A tag cloud is just a weighted list visualising how "popular" the various tags (categories) on your site are. If the tags/categories/whatever are site internal only, I don't see that Google will frown upon it. And if that was the case, I doubt that companies like Technorati for instance would use it. But that's just my take on the thing. Visually speaking, there are nicer things. Like ransom notes. :D

Ok, I'm out.

ahni

tagcloud?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:37:27 PM »

hmm - I was just thinking about this - perhaps the meta tag keyword option in snews could be used as a means to create the tag categories.

About tag clouds in general - I think they're a great way to organize a site - rather than a topic being restricted to one category, for example, one article has "canada, economics, pipeline, oil" tagged to it (via keywords) - and another has " oil, Iraq, wto". You click on "oil" and both these will pop up.

Most social bookarking sites and blogs use tag clouds -- or maybe I'm thinking of something different?

In any event, I think having something that utilizes tags and links would be an asset to snews

http://globalvoicesonline.org  is a decent (though rather lengthy) example

Dom

• domdelimar.com
Re: tagcloud?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:06:03 AM »

I just realized (which reminded me of this post, hehe) that I have too many tags in del.icio.us to display them in a list - choosing to display them as a cloud gives me a better overview without having to scroll down at all (at this point at least) and that's just good usability to me (you know, I hate sometimes when I scroll down, loosing sight of all the things at the top and vice versa).

I agree these clouds can sometimes be confusing though, but I find my del.icio.us cloud not confusing. Could it be the styling of a could or just a cognitive bias?

But there's at least one lesson to be learned from del.icio.us - it let's you choose to use a tags cloud or a simple list. Not refreshing the whole page when changing to or from a tags cloud would be even better... (I think I've seen some mods for tags clouds on this forum but I haven't checked them yet)