Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [MOD_HELP] sub categories  (Read 33830 times)

tobto

• seo service
[MOD_HELP] sub categories
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 02:47:13 PM »

definitely it would be the BIG PLUS. I know php a little bit and will try to make code corrections myself, but don't believe script will take off  ;)

Then I still can't build into my head correct logical structure for use of 'category', 'page', 'article'. I believe there are  linear combinations:
category -> page1, page2, ...
category -> article1, article2, ...

But we need tree-like structures:

category -> subcategory1 (page1, page2,.. )
                -> subcategory2 -> subcategory3 -> ....

Very similar to directory structure.

dracko

• http://www.gritala.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »

i think that each category should have a parent, and all main categories are those whose parent id is 0 its like this structure:

###categories###
id  -   name  -   parent_id
1   -   Home  -          0
2   - SubCat  -          1
3   -  Games -          0
4   -  Action    -          3

as you see, Action is son of Games, wich is a main cat, the problem is to modify snews for this, i am not a php experienced programmer, but ill try to do something about this

tobto

• seo service
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »

I see. I meant the same. But how to code that?

bionicman

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »

You are right guys...

Luka, maybe you'll foresee this and code it for next version :)

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »

Yeah and we'll end up with a 4MB big CMS :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 09:14:14 PM »

Quote from: Luka
So... sounds like there's a market for an enhanced snews product... sNews+ or sNews Extra... the snews Booster Pack... perhaps. Hmmm.
 ;)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

bionicman

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »

Hm... To my mind it mustn't be integrated in sNews, maybe it will be usual mod?

Armen

• http://www.funnydays.ru
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »

Is is so complicated, Luka?

What about adding at least one sub-level? I don't think that would kill anyone...
Or over-extend sNews...
Now ogres, oh, they're much worse. They'll make a suit from your freshly peeled skin. They'll shave your liver, squeeze the jelly from your eyes... Actually, it's quite good on toast.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 10:53:52 AM »

Quote from: keyrocks
So... sounds like there's a market for an enhanced snews product... sNews+ or sNews Extra... the snews Booster Pack... perhaps. Hmmm.
 ;)
I'm still with L-man on this one... However big or small snews would get by adding this it's just one unavoidable step towards a bigger CMS.

This is the main thing I'm here, hehe... ok, one of the main things then . But the significance in sNews is just that it is small and lightweight, and basic with possibilities to build and add modifications and addons with ...well, with ease for those who master this PHP thing . Key words here are possibilities to build and add modifications and addons, not that it by default contains a lot of addons/mods and is complexed like butt-intercourse with an angry elephant.

It has always been the theme of sNews to be these things, and in my opinon sNews should remain this way. However, I can see the use and want-factor in such mod, like subcategories, but they should definitivly be a mod or addon.

And here's why I'm quoting you, Key's - This is a fantastic idea, really. If there is anyone knowledgable enough to manage to do such a sNews monster-pack I think it would make people download it, hehe... Hell, I would like to play with it some . But using it on my own site... Nah, don't think so. I'm all for pimping sNews, but all mods and addons... Nah, don't think so. Possibly if it came with "on and off" switches for each mod/addons ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

When it comes to multi-level navigation systems... I think I've said before (somewhere on these forums) that it is possible to develop such a system to run with a CMS like sNews... but it would be a large undertaking and quite complex with many files, lots of new functions and at least 2 more dbase tables. The resulting addon would be larger than sNews itself... so you can see why it isn't practical. Even the grandaddy of CMSs - phpNuke and its branch-offs - don't have multi-level navigation systems included with them. I know of one system that works great with phpNuke but all of the menu-item links still need to be added in manually through a complex admin panel after the site is all created and done.

Quote from: Patric
Quote from: keyrocks
[So... sounds like there's a market for an enhanced snews product... sNews+ or sNews Extra... the snews Booster Pack... perhaps. Hmmm.
And here's why I'm quoting you, Key's - This is a fantastic idea, really. If there is anyone knowledgable enough to manage to do such a sNews monster-pack ... Possibly if it came with "on and off" switches for each mod/addons ;)
Being able to switch features on and off would, of course, require an additional Admin Panel, more dbase tables and several new functions with dbase queries, etc. I've been exploring and working with Website Baker on another project. It has a nice consistent way of dealing with addons and mods as modules... each module is developed on the same format with auto-install and auto-uninstall files that also create and remove the module's related dbase tables. When a user goes to create a page, they choose from a list of page-types... such as a calendar page or a gallery page (etc.) and the appropriate textarea panel opens for the page-type chosen. Nice system. I need to learn more about its inner workings, but something similar would be a great way enhance sNews as an Enhanced sNews CMS.

Again... think of sNews as a great CMS seed. You can use it as it is... and if you have the skills and the imagination... you can also fertilize (enhance) it with new ideas (mods and addons) for increased functionality. The end result is really up to you - the developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tobto

• seo service
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »

It looks like we have hot discussion here :P

For about me, I need subcategories before any menu system, simply having fact of human thinking logics  - not linear but categorized, simple tree-like and hierarchical.

Ability to have  'id - parent_id' -system would be enough. It is not 4Mb   :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 06:14:43 PM »

Well... just go ahead and create your own with any of the hundreds of jscript/css methods available for free on the web and modify one you like to your heart's content. You will, of course, need to hard-code your links within the menu files themselves. Experiment, learn and share... that's what the sNews Community is all about! :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »

Quote from: tobto
It looks like we have hot discussion here :P

For about me, I need subcategories before any menu system, simply having fact of human thinking logics  - not linear but categorized, simple tree-like and hierarchical.

Ability to have  'id - parent_id' -system would be enough. It is not 4Mb   :)
Ok, I do not claim to know what I'm talking about here, but I do however trust that Key's do. And I think that the conclusion to draw is - Not many people here are willing to sit down and make this modification to the snews engine... So... From what I read there is but only one solution. No, correction, make that two solutions:

1. Make your site by hand. That is no CMS, just craftmanship from beginning to the end. And that way integrate a   multileveled menu system.
2. Skip sub-categories and go with it like it is...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

dracko

• http://www.gritala.com
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »

well a nice start for this would be creating an addon sistem, and avoid modifying snews file by hand, that would be great  :D

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 06:33:19 PM »

There's a simple solution for this.

With CSS you can display your categories in several levels. That is if you know how to use multi level unordered lists. You just manually dislpay links.

Making unlimited subcategories if fairly easy as adding one extra field in the database to contain the id of the parent category. But why do we need subcategories? To have 50 categories in which we'll post articles? OK I understand that, but you need to understand that sNews is a simple CMS, not a blogging tool although it can be used for both and I would rather see subpages then subcategories but that's just me.

I'll let others respond too and if we agree that sNews should have subcategories I'll include it in the engine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5