Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: eBookCMS  (Read 542 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: eBookCMS
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:19:49 AM »

Ok, so just a few observations based on a quick, simple test run. Keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion and since I haven't actually built a public CMS I don't know how valid the points are... Anyway.

1. It's easy to install and get into on the first level, which is good.

2. The lack of info about basic operations makes the user walk on eggs in it. Even though basic operations are easy, walking on eggs is no fun. With so many other options out there when it comes to CMS's, yours needs to be user-friendly and to some degree offer a fun experience if you want people in general to use it.

3. The basic template and the lack of info makes it not so user-friendly in its current state. Why should I choose ebookcms over, say, Wordpress or ExpressionEngine or even sNews (based only on the initial experience in terms of look and feel)? This is a question you should ask, even if you're doing something for a small audience or even just yourself.

What I would do in your shoes is, probably, to call this a beta version, maybe even do a limited test with a small focus group before doing a wider public launch. Primarily the lack of guidance on usage, both for the site admin and for stuff like templating or plugin-ing as well as basic requirements info (is it limited to LAMP servers?, minimum PHP-level? do I need a Masters Degree in Astrophysics from M.I.T to run it?, etc) needs to be adressed before making it publicly available, otherwise you will spend the next 5 years doing nothing but answering stupid email questions. If you want a successful public launch you'll also need to consider making it attractive. We know that looks don't determine worth, but unfortunately looks do sell. This applies to the standard template, the logo, the eventual user forum, the source code, everything really. Obviously it primarily needs to be solid and well functioning but that should go without saying. And it currently appears to be working well.

Regarding HTML5 or not, my personal take on it is that if you're going to have HTML5 as an option it needs to affect any and all HTML output, not just the header part. HTML5 is the present, every major browser vendor supports enough HTML5 elements and features today for it to be called stable, across the board of web browser platforms (desktop, smartphone, tablet). If you're going to have it as an option, do it properly. That's all.

In short: take your time, polish the code, make sure you have proper documentation for users and invest in well designed selling points. That's what I would do if I ever were to build my own CMS. Also consider who your target audience is and what your immediate "competition" is. Make comparisons, make sure you have things that either are better than the others have or things they don't have at all. That is assuming you want other people to use it. If you're just making it for yourself then it's obviously a whole different ballgame. ;)

Again, these are just my thoughts.

nukpana

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »

Addons is a auto include, yes I can increase a variable to disable this if you wish.
I will do that tomorrow :)
No, no, please don't do it for me.  I said I will not be using this. If that was part of your design then leave it be. If you truly think it's a bug, then change it.

HTML 5 is future, I tried to include this option can be disable it in ebookcms - define('HTML5', true); // line 35
Right, but it's not just a switch that can be turned on or off. Yes in some aspects it is backwards compatible, but for full on HTML5, it is more than that (type="email" for one?). Again, you have taken an sNews approach and bundled the HTML, which again, I don't like (get_header() for one).

There are other current & future practices you (and other CMSs) neglect as well:
mysql_* functions & magic quotes are discouraged & depreciated.
Progressive Enhancement, separating HTML, CSS, & JS (search form for one).
Better HTML (Badly named & duplicated id's, not closing attributes, invalid HTML - accept-* is invalid HTML5, for attribute for legend (registration & comment forms) is not even in HTML4) &  JS (new Array = [],  for one).
Separating core code & view code (equaling more maintainable code). 
Separating "core" functions into addons - comments, search, etc.

...just fight spam with RSA encryption without mathcaptcha
Probably for CSRF, but your not doing Ajax or the like and I think your approach may be a bit overboard. We've also been fighting spam without RSA encryption for a while as well, so again, I am confused why you chose certain design decisions (which you haven't answered by the way).

nukpana

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »

Rui,

Regarding the HTML, I posted a thread as an example to unbundle HTML:
http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php/topic,10534.msg69625.html

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

Thank you Fred and Jason for your opinions.

I make a pause for 1 week to rest a little bit. I'm back again, this week new revision will out.
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group
Pages: 1 [2]